Author Topic: Is anyone else worried about this Pacers coaching situation with Brad?  (Read 5298 times)

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
Hypothetically-speaking:

I know the KG/DJ trade got nixed for this very reason, but if there was ultimately a way that we could make a quid pro quo deal of letting Brad out of his contract to go coach the Pacers in exchange for them trading us George, would you do it?

As good of a coach as Brad is, acquiring George might be worth it, especially with him locked up long-term now.

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
If everything goes as planned this summer, Brad should enter the most interesting year/season of his Boston Celtics coaching career so, yeah, not worried.

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
Hypothetically-speaking:

I know the KG/DJ trade got nixed for this very reason, but if there was ultimately a way that we could make a quid pro quo deal of letting Brad out of his contract to go coach the Pacers in exchange for them trading us George, would you do it?

As good of a coach as Brad is, acquiring George might be worth it, especially with him locked up long-term now.

Nah. I like that we have a great coach. I'd rather a great coach who i am proud to say he is my coach than a bunch of superstars thrown onto a team.

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
What I worry about is how long Stevens will put up with no tangible roster improvements.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
He's under contract, so there's nothing to be worried about. Danny knows how valuable Brad is.

TP.

He's under contract. End of (non-) story.

But the thing is, wasn't doc also under contract?

Brad came in knowing it was a rebuilding team.

Now after 3 years of improving their record , and having the ability to add 2-3 major pieces , he is just going to leave ?

Man, you guys are just looking for something to talk about I guess....
I'm not worried that he's gonna leave. I was just comparing scenarios.

But Doc's example is why not to worry.  It's a non-likely event, but in the extreme chance the Indy job DID open up and Brad DID want to jump ship to it, then Larry would have to fork over compensation.

And I think Danny would drive a pretty hard bargain.  I think we'd be talking about more than just one 1st round pick this time.

I'd put the odds of any of this happening at somewhere near my odds of winning the next PowerBall.

And I don't buy PowerBall tickets.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't think he'd want to leave. Boston is a really good situation.

At some point Stevens is going to want to renegotiate, though. He's underpaid, and will be for years.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Brad is not Doc

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
we all know that with Brad being an Indy boy himself, coach of the Indiana Pacers is pretty much his dream job.
says who?  The Pacers is not the prestigious organization that is the Boston Celtics.

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 290
Not worried at all.

Also, feels kind of strange that next year will be his fourth year as coach. Time flies.

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Why would we be worried about this?

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2637270-frank-vogel-latest-news-rumors-speculation-on-pacers-coachs-future

So, apparently Bird is undecided about Vogel's future, and we all know that with Brad being an Indy boy himself, coach of the Indiana Pacers Hoosiers is pretty much his dream job.

Fixed that for you.  IU is the big Holy Grail of Indiana basketball.  There was a lot of talk about this last offseason when Crean was on the hot seat.

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
no. how many threads have been created that focus on the departure of CBS?

he is losing here, he will jump. the celtics are just a stepping stone, he will jump. a team in a big city will want him, he will jump. he really wants to coach at a top college, he will jump. he can go back to indiana, he will jump.

:P
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
No.  Can't imagine the Pacers job being his dream job, but if the Hoosier job was open, then I'd be worried.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

Offline SCeltic34

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1948
For what it's worth:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4723070/brad-stevens-on-boston-this-is-a-great-place-to-work-im-very-fortunate

(Parts of the article have been skipped in the cut and paste)

Told about being tied for the sixth-longest tenure during an appearance on SiriusXM NBA Radio on Friday, Stevens said, "That’s a little bit crazy," but used it as an opportunity to stress how fortunate he feels to be with an organization like the Celtics.

"I will say this: Just doing the research before coming here and taking this job, I’m so fortunate to be here and so fortunate to be a head coach here because there’s obviously a lot of movement, but this is a great place to work and these are great people to work for," Stevens told the "Off the Dribble" program. "I have felt empowered every single day I’ve been here. That means that you feel like you made a great decision and I’m very fortunate."

Stevens seemingly doesn't have to worry much about his own job security. Celtics fans are already antsy about a contract extension, even though he's only at the midpoint of his current deal. What's more, Boston president of basketball operations Danny Ainge continues to gush about his coach at every opportunity.

"I love Brad," Ainge said at his end-of-season news conference on Wednesday. "You guys know how much I support him and enjoy being around him. He’s been great for our franchise. I think he has a chance to be one of the best coaches ever if he decides to be an NBA coach for the rest of his life. I’m a big big fan. I think he’s continuing to learn the game and learn the players and we’re very very fortunate to have him as our coach."

For his part, Stevens has said repeatedly that he will be around in Boston for as long as the team wants him here -- even if Celtics fans tend to worry that he'll be lured away by a big-time college opening (and the fact that there's an opening with Stevens' childhood favorite Pacers is enough to induce sweaty palms for some Celtics supporters).

Stevens has made it clear his only goal at the moment is trying to hang another banner in Boston. And while he's enjoyed the progress that his team has made in recent seasons, he knows just getting to the playoffs isn't good enough here.

"This is the way that I approach every day: I’m really a process guy, and a day-to-day guy. I truly believe, especially because I’m coaching the Boston Celtics, there’s only one goal," Stevens said. "That goal never changes. Now, you want to get there sooner rather than later; you don’t want early exits in the playoffs. But there’s 17 banners in our practice facility, so there’s no other reasonable goal around here."

Ownership wants him here.
Ainge wants him here.
The players want him here.

Brad states he wants to be here.  So I guess it depends on how much you believe in Stevens' word about sticking around in Boston for the long haul.  He isn't exactly known to be a dishonest person.

I feel pretty good about it.

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77
As others have said, I'm not really worried about Stevens deciding to leave at this point.

That being said, if he did decide to leave, the Celtics job would be much, much more attractive than it was after Doc left. With that in mind, I think Danny would have his pick of top-notch coaching candidates.