Author Topic: The likelihood Ainge takes Thon Maker with 1 of his 5 2nd round picks...  (Read 7529 times)

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Some quotes from the article linked to earlier in this thread:

There is no way this kid should be in this year’s draft,” one Eastern Conference scout told CSNNE.com. “He’s nowhere close to being ready to play or make any kind of impact that will help a team anytime soon. He’s one of those two years away from being two years away kind of players. If you take him near the end of the second round, he’s worth it. But a first-rounder? I just don’t see it.”

Another executive with a Western Conference team offered a similar assessment of Maker.

“He’s going to have to show some things that we haven’t seen yet, in workouts,” the executive told CSNNE.com. “Every draft has a player or two that you draft because he has upside, but he’s a project. That’s Thon Maker; a project with upside, the kind of upside that you’re probably not going to really see or really be helped by for years down the road.”

A second scout added, “He’s not ready for the NBA. Not even close. But this league drafts on potential and because of that, somebody will take him. It may not be until the second round, but he’ll be drafted by someone.”
His highlight reels are so much fun to watch because he's got this incredible size and athleticism but I encourage anyone here who hasn't watched the DraftExpress scouting video of his weaknesses to go do so immediately. The lowlights make him look like a giant 6 year old trying to play basketball for the first time. He has no feel for the game at all.

From what I'm read he's a good kid, a worker, and he can learn but as of there seems to be zero chance that he'd sniff an NBA court next season where he is in his development. I'd love for the Celtics to take a flier on him and send him overseas for a year and then bring him into the D-League system but for a guy like that, you don't waste a 1st rounder.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

Maker is a Top 10 pick
No

OP meant top 10 pick in the second round.

Mike

Haha, TP!
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48

I don't know about you guys, but I'm concerned about how much Thon Maker is regressing. When he was 16 years old, he was 7'2" and he could shoot like a guard. Now, 2 years later, he has shrunk at least an inch and he can't shoot at all.

Remember, by the way, when the videos of him matching up with (and getting beat by) Skal Labissiere made everyone ooh and ahh? And now it turns out that Skal Labissiere kinda sucks actually... =)

I watched Maker in Person last winter at the Hoop festival in Springfield Massachusetts. His team got smoked but Maker can play. Runs the floor well, drained a three and a few outside shots and held his own in the defensive paint vs 2 top 50 recruits.
If Im Ainge and the #1 pick turns out to be #5 overall or lower and no trades are made. I take Maker do to the upside.

Get this kid some financial security for his family and I believe he will shine on the court. This Kid has traveled the world in a short time to get where he is. You would have to think at some point fatigue would set in?