Author Topic: The likelihood Ainge takes Thon Maker with 1 of his 5 2nd round picks...  (Read 7474 times)

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I'm extremely indifferent on Maker. On the one hand, he has theoretical upside and a good work ethic. On the other hand, he is bad at basketball. If Danny wants to take him in the 2nd round (especially after the 30's picks), I'll shrug.

Even then, why waste a roster spot on him when we could stash someone like Cornelie?
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
His status has dropped some from those amazing videos a few years ago.  if her is there in the second round it may be worth the gamble after all the guys we like are gone.  I would like to see us package a few of them to move up in the draft in some areas though.

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Now the question is... After the combine, will Thon Maker be available at the Mav's pick? My guess is that its gonna be close. Measurables are really nice and kid seems like a high motor kinda guy. Exactly the kind of guy I want at the Mav's pick. BOOM or bust. If he busts then whatever we still have a deep team. But.. if he can be half of his potential, then we have our Center for the future.

My prediction for the Draft: (No Trades)
2: Ingram
16. Maker
23: Jeanne

Unfortunately, Jeanne didn't declare.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
p(M) = (p(D) / p(N))

Where:
p = probability of
M = Maker being drafted by the Celtics
D = Drafted before the Celtics 2nd rounder
N = Not drafted before the Celtics 2nd rounder

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
p(M) = (p(D) / p(N))

Where:
p = probability of
I think you ****ed this up, but I am not 100% sure.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I am totally intrigued.  I think in his video highlight clips show more than Bender.  Not sure I understand why Bender is talked of so high in the draft but Thon Maker not so much.

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
p(M) = (p(D) / p(N))

Where:
p = probability of
I think you ****ed this up, but I am not 100% sure.

I am 100% sure I messed this up haha. Probabilities using functions with nonlinear variables within functions are impossible to ascertain, at least to my limited knowledge of math. I was just trying to put a fun spin on it. TP for sniffing it out so quickly!

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Maker is a Top 10 pick

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I am totally intrigued.  I think in his video highlight clips show more than Bender.  Not sure I understand why Bender is talked of so high in the draft but Thon Maker not so much.

I agree with the bender part. I see a lot of weaknesses with both these guys, yet one of them is a top 5 projected pick (which I don't get) and the other might not get drafted (which I do get)
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney

I agree with the bender part. I see a lot of weaknesses with both these guys, yet one of them is a top 5 projected pick (which I don't get) and the other might not get drafted (which I do get)

Bender has been playing against professionals (grown men) in a European basketball league since he was 15, and he has struggled statistically. Maker has been playing against lower-tier US prep schools (not sure if prep or just high school?) and Canadian teenagers (where Kelly Olynyk looked like a star) and struggled statistically. The level of competition, at the high-school age level, as much as we like to talk about the NBA and US colleges being much better than foreign basketball leagues, is not comparable.

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Danny must draft and stash some guys. . .like 4 perhaps, depending on how many picks he keeps. Lots of international guys and I guess you can draft 2nd rounders like the CSU guy playing in Turkey too. Ante Zizic? Guys like that. He'll strike on one of them.

Then Maker looks pretty quick but is ever so slightly knock kneed. Not sure if that's a bad sign but he does look a little frail at first glance.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I believe Maker could even be better, including pro-ball projection, than pre-draft Kevin Garnett. He has better ball handle, dribbles so well as a 7-footer, has very good jump shooting mechanics, better post moves (KG didn't have much of this in his arsenal other than making follow up or putback shots) and  is quick in transition.

I think you're misremembering how good KG was projected to be. He went 5th in the draft despite there being a ton of questions about drafting high schoolers at the time.

Thon Maker will be a success if he develops into Mareese Speights. KG is out of the question.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
If Maker and his agent where to agree to first sign 1 year D-league contract with Maine with the agreement that he would sign with the Cs the following year I would expect DA to use an early 2nd on him. If he is expecting a roster spot next season I think the chances are slip. With the current CBAs roster space and contract length super long term projects ( 3-4 years from contributing any min) are hard to keep and likely just help the team that signs them to their 2nd contracts.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
Judging how Ainge has never drafted anyone I wanted him to draft... slim to none. Also if we did try maker it wouldn't be until 2nd round for me. Any higher and i'm not interested.