Author Topic: The likelihood Ainge takes Thon Maker with 1 of his 5 2nd round picks...  (Read 7535 times)

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
...is high, in my opinion. You can't teach 7'1" with a handle. Worth a draft-n-stash if he can be had past the Wolves pick.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Offline MikeJelly

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
Now the question is... After the combine, will Thon Maker be available at the Mav's pick? My guess is that its gonna be close. Measurables are really nice and kid seems like a high motor kinda guy. Exactly the kind of guy I want at the Mav's pick. BOOM or bust. If he busts then whatever we still have a deep team. But.. if he can be half of his potential, then we have our Center for the future.

My prediction for the Draft: (No Trades)
2: Ingram
16. Maker
23: Jeanne

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
P = 0

Gone by the 2nd round.

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I really don't think Maker will be around in the second round. The Mavs pick, or our own pick are our realistic places to take him.

I'm also pretty sure Ainge won't use all 5 of his second rounders. Some, if not all of those second rounders will be traded.

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Now the question is... After the combine, will Thon Maker be available at the Mav's pick? My guess is that its gonna be close. Measurables are really nice and kid seems like a high motor kinda guy. Exactly the kind of guy I want at the Mav's pick. BOOM or bust. If he busts then whatever we still have a deep team. But.. if he can be half of his potential, then we have our Center for the future.

16. Maker

I didn't know about this until today, but apparently Jeanne withdrew his name from the NBA draft

http://www.sportando.com/en/europe/france/198075/jonathan-jeanne-won-t-enter-2016-nba-draft.html
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
...is high, in my opinion. You can't teach 7'1" with a handle. Worth a draft-n-stash if he can be had past the Wolves pick.

Is that a 20% chance or a 30% chance?  :)

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

16. Maker

I didn't know about this until today, but apparently Jeanne withdrew his name from the NBA draft

http://www.sportando.com/en/europe/france/198075/jonathan-jeanne-won-t-enter-2016-nba-draft.html

Plenty of time for Maker to do the same if he doesnt like the early reports on him and his projected spot.

Pulling out is what cost us Porzingis. Ainge was ready to take him at 16 and instead we got James Young...

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
I want him and Bender in the 1st round.

I guess it's a zero chance Ainge taking him at 2nd round because Thon would be gone by then.
He appears to be leaps and bounds better than pre-draft Whiteside. I believe Maker could even be better, including pro-ball projection, than pre-draft Kevin Garnett. He has better ball handle, dribbles so well as a 7-footer, has very good jump shooting mechanics, better post moves (KG didn't have much of this in his arsenal other than making follow up or putback shots) and  is quick in transition.

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Interested to see how workouts go.

Maker will have an incentive to match up higher-level prospects to show he can hold his own physically.

But those same guys will have no incentive to schedule a workout with him, because he's an unknown quantity. If he shows up someone like Sabonis that would really hurt.

Just based on how unready he seems to be, I think early in the 2nd round seems likely, I can't see a team gambling on the commitment of a first round contract when he may not be able to play for a few years.

I guess the encouraging this is this: if Danny wants him, he can almost certainly get him. We have a ton of picks, other young guys and the ability to move anywhere in Maker's draft range if we need to move up a few slots.

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I want him and Bender in the 1st round.

I guess it's a zero chance Ainge taking him at 2nd round because Thon would be gone by then.
He appears to be leaps and bounds better than pre-draft Whiteside. I believe Maker could even be better, including pro-ball projection, than pre-draft Kevin Garnett. He has better ball handle, dribbles so well as a 7-footer, has very good jump shooting mechanics, better post moves (KG didn't have much of this in his arsenal other than making follow up or putback shots) and  is quick in transition.
And tiny little Donald Trump hands.

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Wow. Where is this kid from? I just watched some highlights. I'm surprised he's not projected really high. Crazy handle and nice looking jumper at 7 ft 1"?  Wow. But I know youtubes can be deceiving.

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Wow. Where is this kid from? I just watched some highlights. I'm surprised he's not projected really high. Crazy handle and nice looking jumper at 7 ft 1"?  Wow. But I know youtubes can be deceiving.

This article from today talks about some of the negatives.

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/gauging-stock-thon-maker-nba-drafts-mystery-man

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I'm extremely indifferent on Maker. On the one hand, he has theoretical upside and a good work ethic. On the other hand, he is bad at basketball. If Danny wants to take him in the 2nd round (especially after the 30's picks), I'll shrug.

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598

He have a tunnel vision and a ballhog at times and not fundamentally sound.

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

I recommend reading into his story, but here's the quick version. He's a big kid, athletic kid from Senegal with little basketball experience. A few years ago, a highlight video of him, dubbing him the "next KD," spread around the internet, generating a ton of hype. Basically, it was all a farce. He's not some super-prospect, but rather a guy who projects as an energy big in the NBA. Highlight tapes can be very deceiving.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers