Author Topic: My Thoughts on the Celtics Off-season  (Read 4095 times)

My Thoughts on the Celtics Off-season
« on: May 02, 2016, 03:51:47 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I live in Iowa. I have no Celtic fans around me. This is literally my only outlet for Celtics talk.

Nothing I say here will be ground-breaking, but I'd like to have a conversation about my team.

Thomas - I love Isaiah Thomas. He is a starting point guard. He played pretty good defense toward the end of the year. He's got it, but he can't be the guy. If you may him a second or third scoring option, I think he becomes more efficient and way more scary for opposing teams. I want Thomas to retire a Celtic.

Jae Crowder - I love Crowder. He is one of the best two-way players in the NBA, but he has maxed out his offensive potential. He does not have a real post game. He does not have floaters. He doesn't really have pullups. He is really good as a spotup shooter, transition lane filler, and straight line driver, but I don't think he can develop any more offense. Ideally, he is the fourth starter. I want Jae Crowder to stay a Celtic, but if he is the bait to get Jimmy Butler, Kevin Durant, Blake Griffin, and (maybe) Kevin love or Demarcus Cousins, I think we have to do it.

Avery Bradley - Bradley is essentially the guard version of Jae Crowder. He is best as a fourth starter, but if he can be bait, I'd trade him or Crowder, but probably not both.

Zeller, Sullinger, Johnson, Jerebko - I like them all, but I'm not going to cry if any walk. Of the four, I like Johnson best. He's like the perfect glue guy.

Rozier - I'm all-in on Rozier as a future all-star. I know that may undercut everything I say for some of you, but I'm all-in. He has elite competitiveness and athleticism. He can score in a variety of creative ways. He can get to the basket. He can pass. He is still raw, but I like Rozier so much that I am ready to trade Smart.

Smart - I like Smart a lot, but I think Rozier has a higher ceiling. Smart is in the same category as Crowder and Bradley. I think he can be a 12-5-5 guy in the NBA and an all-defensive player, but he is more raw than Rozier and cannot be a first or second option. Maybe a third option if he develops.

Mickey, Hunter - Both are promising. I'd like to see a good showing this summer league.

Young - Trade him. I hear too many things about the dude to think he is ready to be an NBA player. I'm out.

Top 5 Draft Board with Brooklyn Pick - Simmons, Ingram, Murray, Brown, Bender

Top 5 Draft Board for later picks - Chriss, Luwawu, Maker, Valentine, Bembry

Top Trade Targets: Jimmy Butler, Blake Griffin, Demarcus Cousins, Kevin Love, Carmelo Anthony, Gordon Hayward, Brook Lopez

Top Free Agent Targets: Durant, DeRozan, Conley, Batum, Parsons

Thoughts? Love some conversation on this.

Re: My Thoughts on the Celtics Off-season
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 04:07:26 PM »

• Paul Silas
I forgot about Olynyk!!! Keep him if you can!!!

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 04:58:01 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111

You can. Definitely one of the core guys.

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 05:07:44 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Disagree entirely.

Too soft, and weak defensively. He would be at the top of my list of players to trade.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 05:11:03 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111

Disagree entirely.

Too soft, and weak defensively. He would be at the top of my list of players to trade.

Yes, we definitely disagree. Excellent team defender, great feel for the game on both ends.

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 05:18:32 PM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
I live in Iowa. I have no Celtic fans around me. This is literally my only outlet for Celtics talk.

Nothing I say here will be ground-breaking, but I'd like to have a conversation about my team.

Thomas - I love Isaiah Thomas. He is a starting point guard. He played pretty good defense toward the end of the year. He's got it, but he can't be the guy. If you may him a second or third scoring option, I think he becomes more efficient and way more scary for opposing teams. I want Thomas to retire a Celtic.

Jae Crowder - I love Crowder. He is one of the best two-way players in the NBA, but he has maxed out his offensive potential. He does not have a real post game. He does not have floaters. He doesn't really have pullups. He is really good as a spotup shooter, transition lane filler, and straight line driver, but I don't think he can develop any more offense. Ideally, he is the fourth starter. I want Jae Crowder to stay a Celtic, but if he is the bait to get Jimmy Butler, Kevin Durant, Blake Griffin, and (maybe) Kevin love or Demarcus Cousins, I think we have to do it.

Avery Bradley - Bradley is essentially the guard version of Jae Crowder. He is best as a fourth starter, but if he can be bait, I'd trade him or Crowder, but probably not both.

Zeller, Sullinger, Johnson, Jerebko - I like them all, but I'm not going to cry if any walk. Of the four, I like Johnson best. He's like the perfect glue guy.

Rozier - I'm all-in on Rozier as a future all-star. I know that may undercut everything I say for some of you, but I'm all-in. He has elite competitiveness and athleticism. He can score in a variety of creative ways. He can get to the basket. He can pass. He is still raw, but I like Rozier so much that I am ready to trade Smart.

Smart - I like Smart a lot, but I think Rozier has a higher ceiling. Smart is in the same category as Crowder and Bradley. I think he can be a 12-5-5 guy in the NBA and an all-defensive player, but he is more raw than Rozier and cannot be a first or second option. Maybe a third option if he develops.

Mickey, Hunter - Both are promising. I'd like to see a good showing this summer league.

Young - Trade him. I hear too many things about the dude to think he is ready to be an NBA player. I'm out.

Top 5 Draft Board with Brooklyn Pick - Simmons, Ingram, Murray, Brown, Bender

Top 5 Draft Board for later picks - Chriss, Luwawu, Maker, Valentine, Bembry

Top Trade Targets: Jimmy Butler, Blake Griffin, Demarcus Cousins, Kevin Love, Carmelo Anthony, Gordon Hayward, Brook Lopez

Top Free Agent Targets: Durant, DeRozan, Conley, Batum, Parsons

Thoughts? Love some conversation on this.

I agree with most of your thoughts.  After the playoffs settle down into the offseason DA has some rearranging to do with this team.  I like these guys in this order in importance to the team.  IT, JC,AB,MS,AJ.  JJ, JS,ET, KO, Rozier, Mickey.  Guys that I think are out Zeller (no defense or inside toughness), Young (isn't developing), Hunter (not athletic enough for the league). 
Other factors that come into play are contracts.  Johnson and JJ are both on a team option for 12 and 5 million.  Depending on DAs plan going forward both of those guys could be gone because of money.  I feel our #1 need is a go to scorer to help IT.  Our other glaring weakness is a (tough) big man who can defend the rim.  If I am drafting I take every big man available with all my picks except the Jersey one.  Its going to be a fun off-season and if things go well the C's could be very relevant next season.

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 05:20:18 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I like your comprehensive summary, covering most of the off-season topics!  Well done.

Given that the Net's pick could end up anywhere from 1 - 6, depending on the lottery outcome, you should probably edit your 'Top 5 Draft Board with Brooklyn Pick" to have a 6th name.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 05:21:45 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Sullinger has to go....

You trade Amir and his huge contract/Brooklyn Pick(s) for a Star.

Keep IT/Crowder/Smart(if you can)/Bradley(unless his contract is needed to get a star)

The Rookies can all go---I don't see any of them (except maybe Hunter) being in this league in 5 years...Ainge should have taken Portis over Rozier.

All the Picks are on the Trade Table on Draft Night---Ainge HAS to get a deal done that day....or we will just end up signing another Amir Johson type, non-difference maker.

K.O. is on the cusp of being really good----just needs to toughen uo.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 05:38:00 PM »

• Paul Silas

Disagree entirely.

Yes, we definitely disagree. Excellent team defender, great feel for the game on both ends.

I like Olynyk as our second big guy. He is a complimentary player. He is a robin, but he needs a batman with him.

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 05:39:34 PM »

• Paul Silas
I like your comprehensive summary, covering most of the off-season topics!  Well done.

Given that the Net's pick could end up anywhere from 1 - 6, depending on the lottery outcome, you should probably edit your 'Top 5 Draft Board with Brooklyn Pick" to have a 6th name.

I guess I'd probably go Ellenson with the sixth. I like Poelti, Hield, Davis, and Chriss if we fall all the way to sixth too.

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 05:41:19 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Disagree entirely.

I like Olynyk as our second big guy. He is a complimentary player. He is a robin, but he needs a batman with him.
I like him as our 3rd for now. Hes a very good player with great feel for the game. When hes hot hes an absolute weapon.

Now I understand he was battling injury, but for the second straight postseason he was nonexistent. Thats unacceptable. If he were an FA id probably let him go. However, hes on a rookie deal and after that postseason Id imagine his value is as low as its been since last postseason.

I see no reason to dump a solid guy like KO. Especially with so many question marks on our front line.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 05:43:34 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Sullinger has to go....

Keep IT/Crowder/Smart(if you can)/Bradley(unless his contract is needed to get a star)

The Rookies can all go---I don't see any of them (except maybe Hunter) being in this league in 5 years...Ainge should have taken Portis over Rozier.

All the Picks are on the Trade Table on Draft Night---Ainge HAS to get a deal done that day....or we will just end up signing another Amir Johson type, non-difference maker.

do you mean they are on the negotiating table, or you want us to move onfrom them?

Im fine with moving any of these guys but I see no rsh to get rid of any of them specifically Rozier
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2016, 05:51:32 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Sullinger has to go....

do you mean they are on the negotiating table, or you want us to move onfrom them?

Im fine with moving any of these guys but I see no rsh to get rid of any of them specifically Rozier

We have tons of picks coming....There's just no room---Unless Danny really cleans house and packages them....but I don't know any team that would want them.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2016, 05:51:51 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I agree with most of your analysis of the guys already on the roster.

My tentative Big Board- Ingram, Simmons, Bender, Hield, Brown
Later Picks- Luwawu, Skal, Chriss, Davis

Free Agent Targets: Durant, Batum, Bazemore, Horford (if Durant demands him), Dwight (if he takes a short contract), Biyombo (maybe he'll take an Amir-type deal if we can't find another option at center for next year)

Free Agents to Avoid: DeRozan, Whiteside, Conley, Gasol, Parsons

Trade Targets: DeMarcus Cousins (write a blank check for him), Butler (get him as long as the price is not otherworldly), Griffin (I'm concerned about the hand, the quad, and his reliance on athleticism, but he's a top 10 guy), Love (I'd take him, but no chance I give up Crowder)
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2016, 06:06:00 PM »

• Paul Silas
I agree with most of your analysis of the guys already on the roster.

My tentative Big Board- Ingram, Simmons, Bender, Hield, Brown
Later Picks- Luwawu, Skal, Chriss, Davis

Free Agent Targets: Durant, Batum, Bazemore, Horford (if Durant demands him), Dwight (if he takes a short contract), Biyombo (maybe he'll take an Amir-type deal if we can't find another option at center for next year)

Free Agents to Avoid: DeRozan, Whiteside, Conley, Gasol, Parsons

Trade Targets: DeMarcus Cousins (write a blank check for him), Butler (get him as long as the price is not otherworldly), Griffin (I'm concerned about the hand, the quad, and his reliance on athleticism, but he's a top 10 guy), Love (I'd take him, but no chance I give up Crowder)

I think we are on the same train of thought with most of this.

I agree with your avoid list, except for Parsons and Conley. Why?

Why don't you have Jamal Murray higher to draft?

I'd be willing to give up Bradley, Smart(or a Brooklyn 17 pick), 16 Dallas pick, and the 18 Memphis pick for Butler. That's a lot, but I think Butler is a perfect fit in CBS system.