Author Topic: Who are you rooting for? Cavs or Hawks?  (Read 7718 times)

Re: Who are you rooting for? Cavs or Hawks?
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2016, 12:53:18 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I respect the talent of Labron, and his effort. But I just can't stand the way he hunts down NBA championship rings, like a dog looking for his next meal. Without consideration for the teams or fans he leaves behind in his quest for the next ring.

Jordan waited for the Bulls to grow into a championship team, so did Larry, and Magic. All retiring with the same organization they began with.

I'm rooting for Atlanta, but they'll be lucky to win a game.
Lebron was in Cleveland for 7 years.  7 years in, Chicago was the defending NBA champion (on their way to 2 more consecutively), L.A. had won 3 titles and had appeared in 2 others, and Boston was the defending champion and had 3 title total and another finals appearance.  Cleveland had reached just 1 finals and was coming off a 2nd round loss.  How much time is someone supposed to wait for the franchise to get its head out of its bum.
I don't think the core issue with Bron going to the Heat was that he left Cleveland as a free agent.  it was the manner in which he did so.
1. that embarrassing drama otherwise known as 'the Decision'.
2. that false humility in his statement "I'm taking my talents to South Beach"
3. ganging up with Wade and Bosh to try to create a superteam (ala the 2008 Celtics) to try to 'guarantee' not a just a title but multiple titles
4. the post-Decision press conference with Wade where they announce how many titles they're going to win.  (which serves as a delicious meal of eating crow for Bron to be served up on many occasions)

behavior most unbecoming of the league's poster child of entitlement.  Even Jordan had to win a title before being anointed the best of anything. 

even upon his return to Cleveland in his 'charitable' attempt to bring a title to his home town, he still didn't commit to his words by only signing a 2 year deal so he can bolt if the going isn't the breeze he requires.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but a lot of that Miami press conference is overblown (if you actually read the transcript he doesn't say anything really crazy, but if you take a clip here and there it sounds terrible), Wade and Bosh are his friends (who doesn't want to work with their friends), the media coverage anointing him the savior has nothing to do with him, and he signed a 1 year contract because the cap keeps exploding and he is maximizing his earning potential. 

Lebron never goes to Miami if Cleveland wasn't a trainwreck during his first stint there.  I mean the Carlos Boozer fiasco pretty much is a microcosm of Lebron's entire time in Cleveland.  Just disaster after disaster by that franchise.  The new group is better, but it isn't like they have Ainge or Pop running things. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2016, 12:53:59 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Hoping for the Hawks to stun everyone and win it all. What I'd hoped for the C's. The Hawks are just a better version right now.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2016, 04:54:17 PM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77
I respect the talent of Labron, and his effort. But I just can't stand the way he hunts down NBA championship rings, like a dog looking for his next meal. Without consideration for the teams or fans he leaves behind in his quest for the next ring.

Jordan waited for the Bulls to grow into a championship team, so did Larry, and Magic. All retiring with the same organization they began with.

I'm rooting for Atlanta, but they'll be lucky to win a game.
Lebron was in Cleveland for 7 years.  7 years in, Chicago was the defending NBA champion (on their way to 2 more consecutively), L.A. had won 3 titles and had appeared in 2 others, and Boston was the defending champion and had 3 title total and another finals appearance.  Cleveland had reached just 1 finals and was coming off a 2nd round loss.  How much time is someone supposed to wait for the franchise to get its head out of its bum.
I don't think the core issue with Bron going to the Heat was that he left Cleveland as a free agent.  it was the manner in which he did so.
1. that embarrassing drama otherwise known as 'the Decision'.
2. that false humility in his statement "I'm taking my talents to South Beach"
3. ganging up with Wade and Bosh to try to create a superteam (ala the 2008 Celtics) to try to 'guarantee' not a just a title but multiple titles
4. the post-Decision press conference with Wade where they announce how many titles they're going to win.  (which serves as a delicious meal of eating crow for Bron to be served up on many occasions)

behavior most unbecoming of the league's poster child of entitlement.  Even Jordan had to win a title before being anointed the best of anything. 

even upon his return to Cleveland in his 'charitable' attempt to bring a title to his home town, he still didn't commit to his words by only signing a 2 year deal so he can bolt if the going isn't the breeze he requires.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but a lot of that Miami press conference is overblown (if you actually read the transcript he doesn't say anything really crazy, but if you take a clip here and there it sounds terrible), Wade and Bosh are his friends (who doesn't want to work with their friends), the media coverage anointing him the savior has nothing to do with him, and he signed a 1 year contract because the cap keeps exploding and he is maximizing his earning potential. 

Lebron never goes to Miami if Cleveland wasn't a trainwreck during his first stint there.  I mean the Carlos Boozer fiasco pretty much is a microcosm of Lebron's entire time in Cleveland.  Just disaster after disaster by that franchise.  The new group is better, but it isn't like they have Ainge or Pop running things.

Lots of good points made by both of you guys - TP for the discussion.

I understand why LeBron hasn't actually signed a longterm deal with the Cavs, but I don't think it's too much to ask that he verbally guarantee that he's staying there for the rest of his career. I think he's refrained from doing that, though, because he wants to organization to feel pressured to appease him.

Regarding the organization being a trainwreck during his first stint in Cleveland, I agree with you to a certain extent. However, I think he was largely to blame for a lot of that. A leader is supposed to take the blame when things aren't going well and give praise to his teammates when things are going well. LeBron has been the exact opposite of that his entire career - he's not accountable for anything and never makes a mistake (or commits a foul), but soaks in the praise when the team wins.

Also, he's held that organization hostage for the vast majority of his time there, more or less pulling the strings on a number of moves and then blaming others when those moves don't pan out like he wanted. I don't think the Cavs organization has been able to implement any strategies for longterm sustained success because they've been so nervous about him leaving on a yearly basis. LeBron's tenure in Cleveland often reminds me of the tattoo that Paul Pierce has - "my blessing and my curse." LeBron has been amazing in a lot of ways for that organization and city, but he's also held it back to a certain degree.

« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2016, 04:56:46 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Cavs in 4

A MIA-CLE EC Finals would be way too much fun  ;D

« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2016, 04:59:56 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I'm not rooting for either team. However, I'd like to see the Hawks get stomped and eventually swept. It makes me feel better about not getting to the second round when it becomes clear we would have just gotten steamrolled had we advanced
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2016, 05:11:04 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Cavs in 4

A MIA-CLE EC Finals would be way too much fun  ;D

TP ......Cavs in 4

« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2016, 07:08:51 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Cavs handling the Hawks so far.  No sweat

« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2016, 08:12:32 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
was there really any question?  I mean taking who you were rooting for out of it, I don't think anyone expected Atlanta to win the series. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2016, 08:48:51 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
was there really any question?  I mean taking who you were rooting for out of it, I don't think anyone expected Atlanta to win the series. 
agreed, I don't think anyone reasonably expected Cleveland to lose anytime before the finals.