Author Topic: I wonder if acquiring melo would be enough to entice durant  (Read 1346 times)

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Melo has the kind of game that could age like Paul Pierce's game did. He's under contract and he plays PF. These are some of the things either Ainge is looking for or either KD is looking. Supposedly KD and Melo are close. Melo has talked about recruiting him to NY.

I have always felt like Phil Jackson was more keen on trading Melo than building around him. As a result based on his age, the NTC, and in my opinion Jackson's feelings about Melo I think the cost to acquire him wouldn't be as great as some of the other trade targets floated around here.

Brooklyn pick, Olynyk, Non guaranteed contracts of Amir and Jonas, and maybe another prospect like Rozier might be enough for Jackson. I would do this if Melo signed off on it and KD was down to team up with Melo and current core of IT, Bradley, Crowder, and Smart.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

Re: I wonder if acquiring melo would be enough to entice durant
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 09:01:40 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
My vote is no melo.  I hate when I read about ideas to get him.   At this point in his career he should be more efficient, better team player, better all around player.  We don't need a chucker.
Pass
Pass
Pass

I'd gladly give Kevin durant waaaaayyyy more

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 09:04:27 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I wonder if drafting Ben Simmons and maintaining enough cap space to add two max contract players would be enough to entice Durant.

Most of these trade scenarios have us giving up considerable assets and eating into our double-max cap space by acquiring a big contract. 

I'm not sure why everyone is so convinced we need to trade for a star.  Why not just keep our major assets and have Durant bring another max deal like Horford, Howard or Derozan.

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 09:05:54 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Nope , puts KD out of position for most of the game. I don't mind him playing stretches at PF ,but don't want him playing 35+ mins a game at PF.

Rather have a 2 way player like Butler who we can play at the 2 and 3 , being able to use Crowder/AB/Smart (who is ever left ) to slide in and play elite defense along with Butler .

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 09:08:58 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
You'd also have to take Lopez in any deal straight up with New York for Melo, because we'd have no option at Center otherwise. I don't think we have enough salary for that, unless we did a sign and trade with Sully or something.

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 09:25:10 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I wonder if drafting Ben Simmons and maintaining enough cap space to add two max contract players would be enough to entice Durant.

I've thought about this too. Simmons and a max free agent center like Horford or Whiteside, to go along with our current core of Thomas, Crowder, Smart, and Bradley could be enough to land Durant. If we don't land Horford or Whiteside though, would going with secondary options like a Noah or Gasol be enough to attract him?

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 10:14:20 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!

i thought we were tryin to get

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 10:24:52 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Think everyone needs to back up a bit on Durant talk for now. Best case scenario is that he only signs a 1yr deal in OKC, I think. This article is on point:

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2016/05/01/pump-the-brakes-on-a-durant-exit/?ls=iref:nba:specials
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 10:35:37 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

I've thought about this too. Simmons and a max free agent center like Horford or Whiteside, to go along with our current core of Thomas, Crowder, Smart, and Bradley could be enough to land Durant. If we don't land Horford or Whiteside though, would going with secondary options like a Noah or Gasol be enough to attract him?
Wit the cap jumping 20 mil again the next year and every player you mentioned (Bradley, Crowder, Smart, Thomas, Simmons) locked into cheap money for the next couple years, why not? 

You could sign Durant to 25 mil, offer Pau a 1 year contract and maybe bring back Amir Johnson or Turner.   Then the next Summer, Pau/Amir could come off the books and you'd have roughly 40 mil in cap space to surround an under-contract core of Thomas, Bradley, Crowder, Durant, Smart and the guy we're taking in the top 6 this Summer. 

I mean, if Durant insists we go out and trade for another top-tier player, so be it.  But why wouldn't he just come play with Thomas, Crowder, Bradley, Smart, our draft pick  - and use that cap space to lure another top-tier player without giving up any assets. 

What's more desirable as a surrounding cast?

Thomas + Bradley + Crowder +  Smart + a top 5 pick that can develop into a star + another max-contract player (Derozan?  Howard?  Horford?  Pau?)

or

Thomas + Bradley + Smart + Melo/Butler

Because with some of these hypotheticals being thrown around (Crowder + the Brooklyn 1st), you'd lose those assets and also eat up enough cap space that you'd no longer have the flexibility to sign another star (a guy like Butler makes 10 mil more than Crowder... a guy like Melo makes about 18 mil more than Crowder).  That eats into your cap space and makes it impossible to add another max-level player.   Why give up Crowder + the pick to trade for a player when you can just keep those guys and use your cap space to sign a quality player outright?

Now, on the flip side, there's a scenario where we give up Bradley + Crowder + Olynyk (roughly 17 mil combined) + draft picks for a player like Butler/Cousins... and still maintain enough cap space to sign Durant and another max-tier player.  BUt that's going to require giving up Bradley (8.5 mil) and Crowder (6.5 mil) to match salaries and maintain the cap space.  In that scenario, Sully, Amir, Turner, Zeller and Jerebko are all renounced and they all walk.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 10:44:10 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 10:44:12 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Think everyone needs to back up a bit on Durant talk for now. Best case scenario is that he only signs a 1yr deal in OKC, I think. This article is on point:

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2016/05/01/pump-the-brakes-on-a-durant-exit/?ls=iref:nba:specials

It's great that he appreciates Westbrook , but if they haven't won anything yet, what makes him think if he stays one more year things will change? He is close to 30 , and has about 5 years left at an elite level. OKC will have no cap room to sign anyone of significance this off-season , and will basically be returning to the same team .

Meanwhile the c's could add a Cousins, Griffin , Butler . Then be able to add Durant and possibly another max free agent .

Plus the C's have nets picks the next few year , and more cap room next year .

If you really want to win a tittle , who do you pick ?

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 10:59:47 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Melo is overrated, he plays the same position as Durant, and he doesn't fit at all within CBS's system. He also wants to stay in NY for non-basketball reasons.