Poll

Who Says No?

Celtics Say No
Bulls Say No
Fair Deal For Both Sides

Author Topic: Is this a "Fair" Trade Idea for Jimmy Butler?  (Read 1519 times)

Is this a "Fair" Trade Idea for Jimmy Butler?
« on: May 01, 2016, 08:15:07 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Even though I admit it could be an unrealistic scenario (why do the Bulls trade Butler now?), let's say the Bulls decide to at least listen in on offers for Butler and they are hesitantly "open" to trading him.

As a Celtics fan, I would propose:

Bulls Get:
- 2016 Brooklyn Pick
- 2016 Mavericks First Rounder (Pick 16)
- 2016 Timberwolves Second Rounder (Pick 35)
- Amir Johnson
- Terry Rozier
- James Young

Celtics Get:
- Jimmy Butler

How can this work for the Bulls? Well, they add Amir to essentially replace a good chunk of Gasol's production, and Amir helps balance out the salaries. Bulls I think wanted Rozier on Draft Night so they may be intrigued to have him in the trade. He also proved he can be a valuable asset this season with the minutes he got. And Young can be added as another young player for the Bulls to work with. And of course, the BKN pick projected to be Top-4 and 2 more picks. Bulls can add some talent off those picks as well, and even the second rounder, at 35, could have some decent depth/role players available. Not too shabby.

So what do you guys think? And if you don't like this trade idea, please explain why in the comments and if any tweaks could make it better.

Also, if the Bulls really want Avery Bradley in the deal, then if I'm the C's, I ask the Bulls to include either Doug McDermott or Taj Gibson into the deal as well.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Is this a "Fair" Trade Idea for Jimmy Butler?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 08:22:43 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think we would need to include, Bradley, Smart, Crowder or an additional Brooklyn pick if we were to get Butler.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 08:46:06 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It sounds like if the pick ends up top 2, they would do this.

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 09:47:23 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Replace Amir with either KO or Sully. I doubt Bulls would take a guy that already reached his ceiling. Sully and KO are still young and can still develop their game.

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 10:46:50 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
The original trade is about what it should take.

Butler is a star but he's pulling down $19m a year and he's not proven to be a transformative player in the sense of being able to carry a team to a very high level. He's also missed at least 15 games a year each of the last 3 years and isn't exactly a front office darling. The Bulls almost have to rebuild given their age and some personality conflicts on the team. When you add all of that up Butler doesn't carry the same price as some other stars (like Cousins, who simply puts up better numbers at a more in-demand position).

Thus a top 5 pick, another top 20 pick, a very valuable non-guaranteed salary pick and last year's mid-1st is a fairly decent haul for someone like Butler. I'd expect the Bulls to ask for someone like Bradley as well and they might get it, but that would be about the maximum they'd get in return from the Cs.

If the pick is top 2 then there's no way that the Bulls get much of anything else. If the Bulls like Ingram (assuming he's the #2) enough to trade Butler then they're sold on Ingram as a player, committed to rebuilding and won't need or get additional assets (beyond evening up the trade for salary cap purposes). You simply don't see top 3 picks traded for existing players because they have such massive potential. And if the Bulls aren't sold on Ingram then they wouldn't move Butler for him at almost any price.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 11:03:58 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Even though I admit it could be an unrealistic scenario (why do the Bulls trade Butler now?), let's say the Bulls decide to at least listen in on offers for Butler and they are hesitantly "open" to trading him.

As a Celtics fan, I would propose:

Bulls Get:
- 2016 Brooklyn Pick
- 2016 Mavericks First Rounder (Pick 16)
- 2016 Timberwolves Second Rounder (Pick 35)
- Amir Johnson
- Terry Rozier
- James Young

Celtics Get:
- Jimmy Butler

How can this work for the Bulls? Well, they add Amir to essentially replace a good chunk of Gasol's production, and Amir helps balance out the salaries. Bulls I think wanted Rozier on Draft Night so they may be intrigued to have him in the trade. He also proved he can be a valuable asset this season with the minutes he got. And Young can be added as another young player for the Bulls to work with. And of course, the BKN pick projected to be Top-4 and 2 more picks. Bulls can add some talent off those picks as well, and even the second rounder, at 35, could have some decent depth/role players available. Not too shabby.

So what do you guys think? And if you don't like this trade idea, please explain why in the comments and if any tweaks could make it better.

Also, if the Bulls really want Avery Bradley in the deal, then if I'm the C's, I ask the Bulls to include either Doug McDermott or Taj Gibson into the deal as well.

If the Bulls are dealing Butler, I think it's part of a major overhaul of the roster. Butler should be the piece that the Bulls rebuild around, so if he's not being kept, there needs to be some other thing they can hang their hats on (and convince the fan base about).

The lottery pick should be a part of the return, but there needs to be more, I think. Amir probably wouldn't comprise much value for a rebuilding club: his unguaranteed contract would be much more appealing as a trade chip, or as instant salary relief.

Any other 2016 draft considerations probably don't move the needle much, unless a really intriguing guy slips to where the DAL pick is. Still, no one projecting to be there seems to have franchise-cornerstone potential.

I think Amir, the BRK pick, a future BRK pick, and maybe the DAL pick (or some other sweetener; maybe Rozier? don't know how high CHI was on him earlier) is closer to what it would take to get CHI to sign off on the deal.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague