Author Topic: What is the window for making a qualifying offer to Sully and Zeller?  (Read 1782 times)

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 123
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
This one is for the collective bargaining experts:

Both will be RFAs.  Even if C's don't really want these guys back, we need to make an initial qualifying offer to retain the right to match other teams offers and/or retain rights to do a sign and trade.

If a qualifying offer is not made, I believe they immediately become UFAs.  And we all need to remember that their cap holds will be much higher than the actual qualifying offers.

My question is when must C's make offer?  Before July 1, during early July moratorium or after moratorium?

Keep in mind C's have until July 3 to pick up Amir and Jonas's team options.  If Durant, etc are taking meetings with several teams there could be several high profile UFA's not committed by July 3rd - it will be very interesting to see how the C's approach these 2 team option decisions with a lot of balls still up in the air come July 3rd.

Thoughts?

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
I'm no cap expert, and of the mind that we should not take either back under any circumstances. So why not let them walk? I don't know the order of every event but is there some scenario where we need their contracts to match salary?

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If I'm remembering, the window is between when the Finals conclude and June 30.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Larry Coon's NBA Salary Cap FAQ  (aka CBA FAQ) has the answers to questions like this:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q44

...In order to make their free agent a restricted free agent, a team must submit a qualifying offer to the player between the day following the last game of the NBA Finals and June 30....

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I'm no cap expert, and of the mind that we should not take either back under any circumstances. So why not let them walk? I don't know the order of every event but is there some scenario where we need their contracts to match salary?

We should only let them walk if the deal is bad for us. If we strike out on the bigger fish and they will sign for a reasonable amount then keep them both. Losing an asset for nothing is the last choice. I accept though that if no draft day deal is done we might have a roster crunch that forces their departure

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
There are other players of their caliber that will be on the market if we strike out on the major FAs. I suppose we can make qualifying offers on both in case we do hit it big and need to go over the cap, but each will most likely have suitors that will see more value in them than we do.

I think most of us agree that we would rather have Amir/ JJ back than Sully/Zeller, but if we do pick up their options, we better be sure that we are not making any huge FA splashes (unless they are used in a trade).

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I think most of us agree that we would rather have Amir/ JJ back than Sully/Zeller

not necessarily.  I've been a Sully supporter since he was drafted but have to admit I was really disappointed by his play in the playoffs.  even with that in mind, I offer this question to those ready to dismiss these 2 --> who's going to rebound?  I love Amir, big fan of the signing, but he's not the rebounder Sully is.  We have no bigs that come close to his rebounding level.  He's a solid passer and finisher around the basket as well.

like him or not, and there's a vocal bunch that don't, I'd want to see who else is on the market and at what cost before I kick Sully (and even Zeller) to the curb.  having them as bench support would make for a decent bench. 

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18

We should only let them walk if the deal is bad for us. If we strike out on the bigger fish and they will sign for a reasonable amount then keep them both. Losing an asset for nothing is the last choice. I accept though that if no draft day deal is done we might have a roster crunch that forces their departure

Any deal that is more then 1 year will be bad for us and we won't do it.

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I think most of us agree that we would rather have Amir/ JJ back than Sully/Zeller

not necessarily.  I've been a Sully supporter since he was drafted but have to admit I was really disappointed by his play in the playoffs.  even with that in mind, I offer this question to those ready to dismiss these 2 --> who's going to rebound?  I love Amir, big fan of the signing, but he's not the rebounder Sully is.  We have no bigs that come close to his rebounding level.  He's a solid passer and finisher around the basket as well.

like him or not, and there's a vocal bunch that don't, I'd want to see who else is on the market and at what cost before I kick Sully (and even Zeller) to the curb.  having them as bench support would make for a decent bench.

I'm not overly worried about our rebounding; our guards do a great job on that end (Turner, Marcus, Rozier, Crowder). Like I said, I am sure we could find a replacement - Sully was never a Stevens guy in the first place. If he somehow dedicated himself to a life of fitness, then I would quickly change my mind, but it is embarrassing (and concerning) that our center can't really even dunk a basketball.

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

Any deal that is more then 1 year will be bad for us and we won't do it.

That's just silly talk. If people are arguing that Sully will get an offer big enough that we won't match then it suggests he has value around the league. Danny isn't in the business of giving something away for free. If he can get a reasonable deal on these guys he'll do it.