Author Topic: Griffin talks are dead . C's were interested Update: Doc says it's not happening  (Read 9596 times)

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The team that trades for Griffin better have a plan in place for keeping him healthy and maximizing his skills as he transitions away from his physically dominant peak.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
Doc is getting up there in age too. He won't care about rebuilding. We gave him that shot. Twice. He was only interested the first time when he didn't have a ring.

Don't get me wrong, I'd think the same way if I were him. Why not?

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I think if we got Blake and kept Isaiah we would have a legitimate chance to get Durant
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
IT, Smart, Durant, Blake, Whiteside. Is that team possible?

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Never know what the Knicks are really trying to do ( rebuild vs win now) but I wonder if this is in the realm of possible

To Knicks: nets pick 3-6, #16 and smart

To clippers: melo, #31,#35

To Boston: griffin, r Lopez

The Knicks would likely be able to draft Murray or Hield. Pairing either with smart would give them a young backcourt to go with porzongis
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
A 3 team deal with Chicago could work.

#2 + #31 + 2 50's picks to Chicago
#23 and Jerebko to Clips
Butler to Clips
Griffin to Bos

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
As C's fans we have Trader Danny, any player could be traded at any time if he thinks it makes the team better in the long term, even if the team has to take a step (or two or three) back in the short term.

I don't think GM Doc Rivers is the same type of guy, similar to his coaching style.  He's a players coach that the veterans love to play for.  Remember how he used to say "nobody has ever beat our starting 5 (when it consisted of Rondo/Ray/Pierce/KG/Perk) in a 7 game series"?  I'm sure he feels something similar about his current Clippers team.

Sure if we had a big name vet in decline, then sure I could see Doc making a Billy King type move and trading Blake Griffin straight up for Dwyane Wade or something like that, but beyond that I really struggle to see Doc as the GM willing to break up that core.  He doesn't know how to rebuild or retool like Danny does, he just knows how to tread water with what he has.  Sure, he's had talks with other teams, but unless it's an equal level star (or big name star) coming back in return (like Blake for Paul George), I don't see a trade happening.  Definitely not one that involves the C's in a 3 way where they end up getting Blake.

Really, I don't see GM Doc trading Blake or CP3 any time soon.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
not against Griffin at all, he's a vast improvement over anything we have. and much needed, as much as we need shooting/a shooter or 2 a low post presence must come along with the shooting. or else Atlanta will still beat us... maybe not as badly but they'd still win a series against us if all we did was add a shooter or 2.

as far as actually getting him goes I agree with a previous poster that recommended a third team would have to be involved. I wonder if we could work it to where we got Butler and Griffin and LA got Pau Gasol? might be a better fit in LA than Griffin and LA gets to remain competitive.

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
If LAC are interested in a big move, would they consider moving CP3 instead of Griffin?

We know Danny loves Paul. I think playing with him would be a bigger draw for Durant.

If LAC wants to keep contending, a third team has to be involved but you could certainly build around:

CP to BOS
Butler, IT and a frontcourt piece to LAC
BKN Pick and prospects to CHI

The Clippers retool, get the depth they desperately need and extend their window since CP is the oldest piece of their core.

We'd be moving a lot - IT, a top  pick or two and maybe another prospect. But we'd be getting back an All-NBA player who has 2-3 years of peak ball left. Pair him with Durant and what remains of our roster and you have a shot at contending.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
If LAC are interested in a big move, would they consider moving CP3 instead of Griffin?

We know Danny loves Paul. I think playing with him would be a bigger draw for Durant.

If LAC wants to keep contending, a third team has to be involved but you could certainly build around:

CP to BOS

The Clippers retool, get the depth they desperately need and extend their window since CP is the oldest piece of their core.

We'd be moving a lot - IT, a top  pick or two and maybe another prospect. But we'd be getting back an All-NBA player who has 2-3 years of peak ball left. Pair him with Durant and what remains of our roster and you have a shot at contending.

Though value-wise that'd seem to be a pretty good haul, I'd find it really hard to root for Chris Paul. He's just not a very likable basketball player.

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

CP to BOS

Though value-wise that'd seem to be a pretty good haul, I'd find it really hard to root for Chris Paul. He's just not a very likable basketball player.

Really? Why not?

He seems more likable than Griffin, haha.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Of course Ainge is interested, in the same way that I'm interested in Jennifer Lawrence or Natalie Portman circa 2000. These moves are all doubtful, though, unless we fleece ourselves of players and picks.

Sad reality, too, is that we won't be legitimate contender unless we do eventually land two superstar caliber players.

-Deb Downer

Jennifer Lawrence circa 2000:

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Of course Ainge is interested, in the same way that I'm interested in Jennifer Lawrence or Natalie Portman circa 2000. These moves are all doubtful, though, unless we fleece ourselves of players and picks.

Sad reality, too, is that we won't be legitimate contender unless we do eventually land two superstar caliber players.

-Deb Downer

I was thinking the same thing about such an odd comment.

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

-Deb Downer

I was thinking the same thing about such an odd comment.

I think he missed a comma in there between Lawrence and Portman ......

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
ahahahah
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford