Author Topic: Griffin talks are dead . C's were interested Update: Doc says it's not happening  (Read 9643 times)

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Griffin would help us, he is gifted athlete, who plays within his game and would be a massive improvement over Sully on both ends of the court.   

That does not mean that he does not benefit from playing with CP3 he does but he would instantly upgrade our frontcourt.

He scores about double the PPG as Sully.  His RPG are the same.  He is a better shooter, has better PER, is a better passer slightly better at not drawing fouls but Sully is a marginally better shot blocker.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3989/blake-griffin

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/6624/jared-sullinger

Playing with CP3 or no, I think it is disingenuous for peeps to pretend he would not be an upgrade, whether you like the guy or not.

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Of course Ainge is interested, in the same way that I'm interested in Jennifer Lawrence or Natalie Portman circa 2000. These moves are all doubtful, though, unless we fleece ourselves of players and picks.

Sad reality, too, is that we won't be legitimate contender unless we do eventually land two superstar caliber players.

-Deb Downer

Jennifer Lawrence circa 2000:

I was thinking the same thing about such an odd comment.
you misread that.  He was saying Jennifer Lawrence or Natalie Portman circa 2000.  There is nothing in there about Jennifer Lawrence from 2000 that is only in reference to Natalie Portman, hence the OR.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Of course Ainge is interested, in the same way that I'm interested in Jennifer Lawrence or Natalie Portman circa 2000. These moves are all doubtful, though, unless we fleece ourselves of players and picks.

Sad reality, too, is that we won't be legitimate contender unless we do eventually land two superstar caliber players.

-Deb Downer

you misread that.  He was saying Jennifer Lawrence or Natalie Portman circa 2000.  There is nothing in there about Jennifer Lawrence from 2000 that is only in reference to Natalie Portman, hence the OR.

LOL. Thanks for pointing this out (and the support, LarBrd, Moranis, rondohondo). There was supposed to be a comma there between the 2, and I was just guessing as to around the time when Garden State came out (2004). I think/hope she was ~24 y/o at that time (totally legal), and her character in that movie was definitely my first true love. "Circa" also a poor choice in word.

At any rate, what I did put in writing will likely have me arrested. So, with that, I'd just like to say that I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here. Best of luck to all of you in your continued blogging pursuits and personal lives.

Farewell from max security Walpole,
Tarheelsxxiii
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 09:17:32 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Lol.  Tp.

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Griffin would help us, he is gifted athlete, who plays within his game and would be a massive improvement over Sully on both ends of the court.   

That does not mean that he does not benefit from playing with CP3 he does but he would instantly upgrade our frontcourt.

He scores about double the PPG as Sully.  His RPG are the same.  He is a better shooter, has better PER, is a better passer slightly better at not drawing fouls but Sully is a marginally better shot blocker.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3989/blake-griffin

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/6624/jared-sullinger

Playing with CP3 or no, I think it is disingenuous for peeps to pretend he would not be an upgrade, whether you like the guy or not.

Has anyone claimed that he isn't an upgrade?

I'm just not sure he's worth the King's Ransom it might take to get him.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Griffin OR Butler--?

Draft night rolls around---Danny has similar offers for Both--and Both teams want the deal...

He can only choose One Deal...Who do you Want---Griffin or Butler--?
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

-Deb Downer

LOL. Thanks for pointing this out (and the support, LarBrd, Moranis, rondohondo). There was supposed to be a comma there between the 2, and I was just guessing as to around the time when Garden State came out (2004). I think/hope she was ~24 y/o at that time (totally legal), and her character in that movie was definitely my first true love. "Circa" also a poor choice in word.

At any rate, what I did put in writing will likely have me arrested. So, with that, I'd just like to say that I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here. Best of luck to all of you in your continued blogging pursuits and personal lives.

Farewell from max security Walpole,
Tarheelsxxiii
the comma wasn't necessary OR implies there are different statements before and after.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Well...

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15448360/los-angeles-clippers-trade-chris-paul-blake-griffin-deandre-jordan

Is anyone surprised? Clips shouldn't trade a single one of those three. They need to add around those three.

Actually, I should say four. Redick is perfect in that starting lineup.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I know Doc says that everybody wants to be back, but is Griffin really stoked with the situation over there right now? I guess it's good for him that he gets to make a number of commercials, but there are still a lot of questions to be asked here.

On another note, it is really funny reading Doc Rivers quotes - his voice comes through, even in written words.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Doc is finished as a coach .....if he loses stars or CP3 .....no way Doc lets his stars go......you see how he chased down Jordon .....he is washed up without the best players

Docs win loss ratio would drop line a rock if he doesn't have the top players to work with. 

He just I'd not a great coach .

He would be soooooooooo exposed on our Celtics , Raptors , Jazz , Portland , Hawks , Magic ...any team that relies on coaching to make up for talent is a bad situation for Rivers.

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
You only have Griffin for two seasons guaranteed, before he becomes a Free Agent in 2018

Worth giving up a ton of talent and picks just to get two guaranteed years of Griffin?

if it brings Durant , hell yes!

And if it doesn't?

Not at all trying to be a Debbie downer here, but there are tons of risk involved with trading for Griffin. And if you really want him or another star, he's available in 2018 and that Free Agent class is studded, so regardless what you get this offseason, you are very likely to get another star or impact player in 2018 as well.

So are you saying Danny should only be trading for players with 3 or more years left on their contract? Those players are certainly easy to find. I don't think his FA status in 2 years is a big concern to Danny, nor should it be.

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Well...

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15448360/los-angeles-clippers-trade-chris-paul-blake-griffin-deandre-jordan

And this is why coaches shouldn't be GMs.  Green and Crawford are unrestricted free agents, Austin Rivers, Cole Aldrich and Wesley Johnson can opt out and just resigning either Green, Crawford or Austin by themselves will take the Clippers over the salary cap next season.

So, Doc's team has NEVER shown it is on the same level at the Spurs, Warriors or OKC and can't really improve its roster unless guys are willing to leave literally tens of millions of dollars on the table.  Oh, and Griffin and Paul can both opt out after next season.

If ever a team needed to make a big move, it's these Clippers but GM Doc has no interest beyond Coach Doc winning games next year.

Mike

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I do think the clippers would be nuts to deal Griffin. Makes sense.