Author Topic: Griffin talks are dead . C's were interested Update: Doc says it's not happening  (Read 9598 times)

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
If LAC are interested in a big move, would they consider moving CP3 instead of Griffin?

We know Danny loves Paul. I think playing with him would be a bigger draw for Durant.

If LAC wants to keep contending, a third team has to be involved but you could certainly build around:

CP to BOS
Butler, IT and a frontcourt piece to LAC
BKN Pick and prospects to CHI

The Clippers retool, get the depth they desperately need and extend their window since CP is the oldest piece of their core.

We'd be moving a lot - IT, a top  pick or two and maybe another prospect. But we'd be getting back an All-NBA player who has 2-3 years of peak ball left. Pair him with Durant and what remains of our roster and you have a shot at contending.

Though value-wise that'd seem to be a pretty good haul, I'd find it really hard to root for Chris Paul. He's just not a very likable basketball player.

Really? Why not?

He seems more likable than Griffin, haha.

They're both not very likable, but I just hate how much he complains to the refs and flops every other time down the court. Though Smart is certainly starting to make a name for himself as a flopper, sooooo..... lol

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
You only have Griffin for two seasons guaranteed, before he becomes a Free Agent in 2018

Worth giving up a ton of talent and picks just to get two guaranteed years of Griffin?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
You only have Griffin for two seasons guaranteed, before he becomes a Free Agent in 2018

Worth giving up a ton of talent and picks just to get two guaranteed years of Griffin?

if it brings Durant , hell yes!

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

if it brings Durant , hell yes!

And if it doesn't?

Not at all trying to be a Debbie downer here, but there are tons of risk involved with trading for Griffin. And if you really want him or another star, he's available in 2018 and that Free Agent class is studded, so regardless what you get this offseason, you are very likely to get another star or impact player in 2018 as well.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I have been fortunate enough to spend some time with Blake Griffin. Good kid, who wants to win and who would bust his wallet to work with Stevens.

And if the Celtics win, there is zero question in my mind Griffin would re-up long term. None.

Acquiring Griffin would be a tremendous idea.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I have been fortunate enough to spend some time with Blake Griffin. Good kid, who wants to win and who would bust his wallet to work with Stevens.

And if the Celtics win, there is zero question in my mind Griffin would re-up long term. None.

Acquiring Griffin would be a tremendous idea.

That's good to hear first hand stuff about his personality. I admit, the off the court incident he has had made me a little leery about potentially getting him
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Of course Ainge is interested, in the same way that I'm interested in Jennifer Lawrence or Natalie Portman circa 2000. These moves are all doubtful, though, unless we fleece ourselves of players and picks.

Sad reality, too, is that we won't be legitimate contender unless we do eventually land two superstar caliber players.

-Deb Downer

Jennifer Lawrence circa 2000:

I was thinking the same thing about such an odd comment.

yep, pretty odd. Had me wondering.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Of course Ainge is interested, in the same way that I'm interested in Jennifer Lawrence or Natalie Portman circa 2000. These moves are all doubtful, though, unless we fleece ourselves of players and picks.

Sad reality, too, is that we won't be legitimate contender unless we do eventually land two superstar caliber players.

-Deb Downer

I was thinking the same thing about such an odd comment.

I think he missed a comma in there between Lawrence and Portman ......

Riiiiight.  A "missing comma".  If you say so.

... I'm j/k.   Tarheel is good peoples.  I'm pretty sure he was trying to say Jennifer Lopez (the infamous green dress) and/or Joey Lawrence (Woah!) circa 2000.  He was trying to equate constructing the 2016-17 Celtics to building the ultimate cast of a early 2000s TV miniseries.  Joey Lawrence circa 2000 was a few years off "Brotherly Love".  He was super gettable at that point.  Just offer him a contract and he'd probably take it. Kinda like signing Dwight Howard this summer.  Sure, you can get him, but do you really want that baggage?  You aren't winning any Emmys with Joey Lawrence/Dwight Howard as your centerpiece.   Jennifer Lopez circa 2000 was a bit of a harder sell.  She was hot off starting in "The Cell", but still a year off releasing her smash hit album "J.Lo".  Early 00s television still had a bit of a stigma attached.  Good luck getting her.  That's like trying to trade for Blake Griffin.  You might be able to pull it off, but it's going to come at a cost.     Natalie Portman circa 2000 was right between "Phantom Menace" and "Attack of the Clones".   Phantom Menace was a bit of a disappointment, but there's no way she's slumming it on Network Television at that point.  It's gonna have to be a prestige project with a top-level director at the helm.  Christopher Nolan had just released "Memento" and it was clear he was an exciting young director with a huge future.  Maybe if he's directing your mini-series, you can nab Portman circa 2000.  Kinda like luring Durant to Boston this Summer with the appeal of playing for Brad Stevens. 

At least, that's what I THINK tarheel was trying to say.  Who knows. 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 10:26:59 PM by LarBrd33 »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
The team that trades for Griffin better have a plan in place for keeping him healthy and maximizing his skills as he transitions away from his physically dominant peak.

TP for this. I don't think Griffin's game is being taken into account here.

It's not that I'm not a fan of Griffin. He's been fun to watch. But he's also had one of the best PGs in the last decade feeding him the ball in the right spots as he jumps out of the gym. Griffin has done a decent job of expanding his game but how truly valuable is he when he can't perform physically like he has before?

Griffin has gotten better at his outside shooting in recent years but that's a good thing since his percentage of shots from 16+ feet have gone from 15% his rookie year to over 45% last year. In his rookie year he had 214 dunks in 82 games. His last two years combined he's had 120 in a combined 102 (warning! warning!) games. There's something that bothers me about seeing that kind of movement away from the basket, even if he has been effective doing it. It means he can certainly space the floor and maybe that's what he needs to do with Jordan hogging the middle. Or does it mean that he's starting to shy away from the more physical game down low?

He's a much better passer now which makes up for his slippage on the boards. He's a smarter, more well rounded player now. But how much do the injuries take out of him? How many games can he play? How well does his game translate when he doesn't have that explosive first step anymore and opposing bigs can play him tighter 18 feet away from the basket?

I don't have an answer for these questions. He may be really productive for another 7 years. But I also know that physically dominant big men who get injured don't age particularly well. Take a guy like George McGinnis - he was washed up at 30. Amare is another massively physical guy who was on a major decline by 30. I have no idea if that's going to happen to Griffin, but it's certainly a big risk.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Griffin has missed significant time due to injury 2 straight seasons and 3 out of the 6 in his career—and that's not counting the entire year he missed due to microfracture surgery before he even got his career started. Boston's had enough bad luck with injuries without inviting that kind of trouble.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Not a fan of him.

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Getting Griffin would have to get Durant's attention, right?

The question around here, though, is who would we rather add: Griffin or Butler (same offer for each)? I am leaning toward Blake, myself - our front court would be so much more dynamic.

I actually think Butler would make us more versatile

You could play KD at PF for stretches which would be great in Stevens' offense . Crowder/AB( if still here) slips into the SG or SF spot off the bench, giving us 2 elite defenders with Butler and ab or Crowder .

Then we would just need a legit big man to add to them .

Let's make the trade before we start filling in lineups that include KD. So, say we can have one of Butler/Griffin, who do you trade for if there is no guarantee of a second/third star coming in?

If you trade for them, KD will come..

I'm of the opinion that Griffin greatly benefits from CP3, a player that has the rare ability to make those around him better, and I'm not so sure that we have anyone on our team that elevates Griffin's game. (Maybe that's where the lowball offer comes from. Well, that and Punchy McFist's behavior).

So, I would pick Butler out of the two, because it feels like Butler has the ability to put a team on his back and compete with the best of them without any help.

TLDR

Griffin does not elevate us the way Butler does, and if we strike out on a follow-up trade (KD/Rim protector), I feel that Butler is the better fit.
Truuuuuuuuuth!

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!

-Deb Downer

TP for this LOL

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391

-Deb Downer

TP for this LOL

I think I could've had a crush on JLaw circa 2000 :o But then again, I think I only started being interested in girls when I was around 12 or 13 so maybe not.

- LilRip

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
On topic though, I think Griffin would help this team. We just need more talent, in general. That said, if we have griffin, I think he'll need to develop his range more. With the way the league is going, it's hard having a mid-range only big.

I'm sure CBS would love Blake's playmaking though.
- LilRip