Author Topic: marcus more than solid playoff  (Read 3890 times)

Re: marcus more than solid playoff
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2016, 07:10:16 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
If he cut threes and drove more (also flop less, so he could get more respect from refs and more calls), his efficiency would skyrocket.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2016, 07:14:56 PM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
Here is my keeper list after the playoff loss.
1) Isaiah
2) Crowder
3) Bradley
4) Amir
5) Smart
6) Rozier
7)Jerebko
8 )Olynyk
9)Turner
10)Sullinger
11)Mickey
12) RJ Hunter
13) Zeller
14) Young
15) John Holland

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2016, 02:16:48 AM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
how the heck can a 7ft guy shoot threes with a bum shoulder-he couldn't even dribble on a break-
not everybody can play hurt like bird

Precisely. No one can say Olynyk or Crowder choked. They played hurt and overall both made good to great progress this year with their developing NBA styles. No one can take away from Marcus Smart that he has shown signs of life with shooting three pointers, driving to the hoop, and free throws.

Good order, TP, although I think JJ and Mickey could be switched, since I think Mickey has more trade value, JJ can contribute more now too.

Thanks. I threw that together quickly and then only had a few that made me wonder. Jerebko is dirt cheap and fills a rotational need. Mickey should definitely feel safe. It's the guys who have contracts running out who are in the hot seat. It happened with Humphries, then Bass, and I figure now it is Sully's turn.

Zeller might stick around. With Turner, I am not sure.

And with all the draft picks coming in, why would James Young ever return?

Guys who are unproven are on the hot seat. James Young just seems happy to be on the bench and receive the big paycheck. RJ Hunter, Rozier, and Jordan better pick up the pace. Ainge has so many assets, he doesn't have to settle for anyone or wait for anyone who maybe might work out, but no one could ever guarantee they even fit into a rotation.

Marcus Smart is clearly a rotation player. It's just the way it is. His game isn't pretty, but he is one of our best assets, maybe the best one.

I could see players who overlap maybe being dealt. So maybe Danny figures Smart and Avery overlap, he can trade one of them. Olynyk and Jerebko overlap a little bit. Amir seems safe. He is our only center unless we bring back Zeller who is not going to get it done. Unless we get Dwight Howard or Cousins, that kind of player, we need Amir. Zeller is not bad, but he is worth a cheap contract in return for some security. He could be maybe the eleventh guy on the roster. Zeller shows me no signs he will ever break through. He is not versatile enough. Olynyk, Smart, these guys are crafty with a lot of different old-school ways of getting it done.

If Smart was shooting 25% on threes like Sullinger and Turner seemed to, then I agree that is not good enough. He hits free throws. He can drive to the hoop. He shows potential for a good assist to turnover ratio. I'm psyched to see what he does next year.

Smart is a hybrid. He is not inept at pg like Bradley, but he is not a guy who can manufacture assists like Rondo does or how Isaiah is getting better at.

Maybe I am wrong about Turner and he is probably coming back.

We are close to winning a championship. It could happen next year. We need some lottery luck and we could use a little luck to get Durant or someone from the next tier of stars to come here. I think it's going to happen. I think the question is will we win 50 or 65 games next year. It depends on that luck.

Smart is aware that the refs are aware he flops, so he will probably cut back on those.

He does have a bit of hero ball mentality. Olynyk has the opposite problem. Brad Stevens is the man to figure out how to mesh it all into one machine. It's going to happen. This is incredible. It's only been three years since the big trade. We are on schedule for a five year rebuild. And this time it will last, none of that three year window crap.

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2016, 06:22:55 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
tp again 2016
rj was a disappointment for me, this season,
early on he was showing his bbiq  but never shot well,so its a offseason of getting stronger,summer league will be telling for all our 2nd year guys and draftees
-going to be a fun watch

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2016, 01:57:15 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
tp again 2016
rj was a disappointment for me, this season,
early on he was showing his bbiq  but never shot well,so its a offseason of getting stronger,summer league will be telling for all our 2nd year guys and draftees
-going to be a fun watch

Thanks, you too. I appreciated a lot of your posts this year. You have basketball experience and the Massimino connection is very cool. I'll never forget Villanova's upset of Georgetown. That was for a title, but it's not always about winning it all.

I liked your scouting reports and ability to place yourself in players' shoes. Someone needs to make sure we upgrade our medical and training staff. Other than that, and it will never happen because of money, the schedule should be shortened with less or no back to backs. It was discouraging to read that there is hardly any practice time during seasons. That has to hurt the younger players the most. Amir Johnson was good from the beginning of the year because he is a seasoned pro. He had plantar fasciitis. I saw enough of him at the end of the year to want him back.

The problem with RJ Hunter is his shooting. It looks way off from ever being effective. I agree he looked good at fundamentals and I guess it's called BB IQ, but if he can't shoot his jumpers, it's not like he is Marcus Smart at everything else. He looks like he could end up as a Tayshaun Prince for shooting guards. But Danny has a million picks. He doesn't have to wait and see or chew nails over Rozier, Young, Mickey, and RJ. Rozier and Mickey look like they have high ceilings. Even Olynyk seems to have some hard to define attribute that translates into winning. Young seems like a million to one scratch ticket. RJ seems like one in a thousand. Rozier and Mickey look like they have what it takes to last in the NBA.

I don't think Danny's "assets" were all that great when he turned them into Ray, KG, Posey, and Eddie House. That's what makes this so amazing. Not only do we have the #3 lottery odds this year, but we have Brooklyn's picks the next two years. And we all know this, so I don't understand the negativity and impatience.

I actually don't want Danny to make a big trade. I'd rather the C's keep doing what they are doing and acquire free agents who cost nothing other than the contracts. I think Danny is well aware of how tough it is for teams to go from mediocrity to the top of the mountain. I think while most take things season to season, Danny is Dr. Evil licking his chops over the next twenty years. We can hope anyway. Why give away the shop for DeMarcus Cousins? Injuries are unfortunately a big part of NBA success or lack of it. Philadelphia went all in for Andrew Bynum and it backfired. Imagine cranky Boston fans if we were that city.

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2016, 02:10:30 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
All are tradable but in terms of who's likeliest to be kept over those least likely
1) Isaiah
2) Crowder
3) Smart
4) Bradley
5) Rozier
6) Amir
7) Olynyk
8 ) Turner
9) Jerebko
10)Sullinger
11) Mickey
12) RJ Hunter