Author Topic: marcus more than solid playoff  (Read 3891 times)

marcus more than solid playoff
« on: May 01, 2016, 06:07:56 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
again, i believe marcus  would have shot better % at three during playoffs but for the fact he takes the clock winding downs threes, that nobody else will
-jerebko needs too much time and always passes up potentially contested shots,we also had no inside game with the packed paint to dump the ball to
for all those claiming he can't get to hoop i think he has really grown in that area
marcus had a good solid playoff from rebounding to creating timely assists and steals
marcus seemed quite in control offensively with his limited experience and even more so on defence his defence is  joy to watch with less flopping

Re: marcus more than solid playoff
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 07:53:25 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I too liked the less flopping.

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 05:00:30 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
Marcus Smart is one of the best revelations from the playoffs. He doesn't care about stats. He is about wins and it shows. He'll chuck it up from 75 feet at the end of quarters. He doesn't worry about it hurting his fg % like most players seem to who let the clock run out and don't even try.

Marcus looked good on his free throw shooting. While he isn't a dynamic point guard, he is quite capable at bringing the ball up. Rollie has been more than correct to stick up for him. Bradley was injured a lot his first few years, but not so much later on until this year. Smart is strong. I think his first injury was because he didn't tape his ankles or I think Tommy said that or wondered about it.

His shooting from threes in the playoffs was 34.4%. He hit free throws at 81%. He did shoot poorly for his two point attempts, but let's give him this off-season to see if he can straighten out his shot a little bit and become more consistent. But he hit threes and free throws. He is a keeper. He should become one of our starters on the championship team.

Jae was banged up. I think Ainge was indeed talking about Crowder for how he doesn't over analyze players based on a couple games or a stretch of them. I think Sullinger is gone. I think Olynyk stays. I do believe injuries are a decent excuse. Olynyk has to be healthy with no rust. Then he forgets he is a second or third year player and looks like a solid part of a championship rotation.

We have so many assets going forward with tremendous flexibility. Knock on wood we get a top two pick. I suppose Ainge should be trusted if we don't win the lottery. I see the buzz generated with Durant's free agency. We are clearly in the mix, but we have to be careful getting our hopes raised too high, like some teams (the Knicks?) did when LeBron was making The Decision.

There's so much one could speculate on that I won't. That was a great season and I thank the Celtics for not folding, winning two, and even showing signs of life in the fourth quarter of game six.

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 05:06:52 PM »

Offline Smart457

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
Guys who passed the mental toughness test of the playoffs -

IT
Smart
Jerebko
Rozier

Incomplete -

AB

Failed -

Olynyk
Sully(more of conditioning issue)

Guys who at least played hard

Amir
Crowder

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 05:23:13 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I thought the whole team played hard, but we were too small and too injured.

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 05:29:09 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I felt no one had a great series but at least a few guys had moments that they shined. Smart, IT, AJ, JJ, AB (slightly), and Turner had a few highlights. Rozier and Crowder showed some fight.

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 01:42:00 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
He was okay.  The same issues he had before the playoffs however are still there.  Will need to work to improve or he will be a role player.

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 02:03:22 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I thought he made some really confident decisions with the ball at times that looked like star-type plays, which I've been waiting for.  I think a big part was him being asked to handle the ball more with IT off ball.  Hopefully he gets the ball more next year.  As much as I like Turner, it's why I think he needs to go.

https://youtu.be/yRqmPWazqkA?t=1m24s

These two plays were nice, especially the second.  That was a Wade-like play.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 02:13:59 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

IT
Smart
Jerebko
Rozier

Incomplete -

AB

Failed -

Olynyk

Amir
Crowder
I'd put Amir and Crowder in that first group as well.  Crowder's shot was horrific but he came to play.  same with Amir.

tbh, the only 2 guys I was really disappointed in this series were KO and Sully in terms of effort.  (naturally there's lots of disappointed in everyone's shooting) I don't know if KO is hurt worse than we've been told but he was god awful.  Sully didn't show the same fight in the playoffs that he did last year.  I know Horford and Milsap are tough match ups for him but I expected him to at least put up a better fight in the trenches. 

I was all for bringing Sully back next year but after this series, I'd be open to  moving on from him if Danny can bring in another guy that can rebound like Sully does
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 02:22:46 PM by slamtheking »

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 03:05:17 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

IT
Smart
Jerebko
Rozier

Incomplete -

AB

Failed -

Olynyk

Amir
Crowder
I'd put Amir and Crowder in that first group as well.  Crowder's shot was horrific but he came to play.  same with Amir.

tbh, the only 2 guys I was really disappointed in this series were KO and Sully in terms of effort.  (naturally there's lots of disappointed in everyone's shooting) I don't know if KO is hurt worse than we've been told but he was god awful.  Sully didn't show the same fight in the playoffs that he did last year.  I know Horford and Milsap are tough match ups for him but I expected him to at least put up a better fight in the trenches. 

I was all for bringing Sully back next year but after this series, I'd be open to  moving on from him if Danny can bring in another guy that can rebound like Sully does

I think we just have to suck it up with KO. If he is even the least bit injured, then he can't really be effective. Still, though, he has shown he can play well in big games (i.e, first GSW game). He is also just too dynamic to just let go or sit at the end of the bench in today's NBA.

Sully got progressively bigger as the season rolled on and he has disappointed a number of people. It is time for both sides to cut ties and if it means signing a guy like Terrence Jones, instead, then so be it. He needs a new start somewhere else. We may miss out on the best that Sully has to offer, but he likely will never change in Boston anyway.

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 05:54:44 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
It sounds like Kelly Olynyk is going to have shoulder surgery. He and Crowder were injured. They must be given incomplete's.

All comments on Sullinger seem to agree he has put on weight. That is unacceptable. I always thought he'd be the rich man's Glen Davis. Now it looks like he will keep getting big just as Big Baby did.

Sullinger needs to come to terms with an eating disorder. It seemed he did last Summer going to that ex-player's addiction camp. It didn't work or we all need eyeglasses. It's a tragedy. I don't think Sully is worth more than $5 million similar to Zeller.

I think Turner was okay, but he looked a bit scary in some of those playoff games. I agree with others Smart looks more comfortable at pg and it's time to unload Evan Turner. But Stevens loves him. That seems 50-50 for if he comes back. It all depends on Danny. It's all speculation. But with Sullinger it seems done, as in thanks for the memories, Sully.

I think Rozier will be ready for the rotation next year. I'm happy with IT, Terry, Smart and Bradley. I suppose if you can resign Turner for a home crowd discount, he would be insurance for Rozier.

I like penciling in Crowder for a lot of SF minutes. I don't think Turner is that good at SF despite it being his position for height.

It's a tricky situation. If Danny can't upgrade for backup SF, Rozier as second year player is iffy, and Smart as backup pg also sounds iffy, then Turner seems to still be needed.

I'd bring back Amir no matter what. We want to win playoff series next year. We need guys like him.

I'm probably sounding like Danny except for a few tweaks. I think he says, "I like all of my guys."

Maybe that is politics. If James Young, for example, can't be moved in a trade, then why sign his option? Also, I am not holding my breath that Jordan, RJ, and even Terry will be ready. I do know that whomever we draft is going to be in the rotation just like Marcus Smart always was.

I kind of don't care who wins the title this year as long as it isn't Cleveland.

As everyone else must be doing, I eagerly anticipate watching what Danny does. There's probably not one guy on the team who is untouchable. Even Marcus and Isaiah. Okay, I will make a list of who I least expect to be traded or let go. I call this my Boston Celtics Job Security Index.

1) Isaiah
2) Smart
3) Crowder
4) Olynyk
5) Rozier
6) Bradley
7) Jordan Mickey
8 ) Jerebko
9) Amir
10) Turner
11) Zeller
12) RJ Hunter
13) John Holland
14) Young
15) Sullinger

This has been a great rebuild. I don't know how anyone can be complaining. I am not even disappointed we lost the series. I give them all a pass because of the injuries. Maybe the team doctor and training staff need to be held accountable. It was bad luck or they are the true achilles heel, not Brad and Danny doing stupid things once in a while, or Crowder and Olynyk looking like scrubs, although they were hurting. It's easy to complain in front of the television while wolfing down a big bag of cheetos.

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 06:16:13 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
how the heck can a 7ft guy shoot threes with a bum shoulder-he couldn't even dribble on a break-
not everybody can play hurt like bird-crowder played hurt and there was no direct link to his shot but it was effected-kelly played with bad eye and had a very good game shooting-when a player wants to sit out,you better believe it effected his shot and play-

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2016, 06:37:32 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
It sounds like Kelly Olynyk is going to have shoulder surgery. He and Crowder were injured. They must be given incomplete's.

All comments on Sullinger seem to agree he has put on weight. That is unacceptable. I always thought he'd be the rich man's Glen Davis. Now it looks like he will keep getting big just as Big Baby did.

Sullinger needs to come to terms with an eating disorder. It seemed he did last Summer going to that ex-player's addiction camp. It didn't work or we all need eyeglasses. It's a tragedy. I don't think Sully is worth more than $5 million similar to Zeller.

I think Turner was okay, but he looked a bit scary in some of those playoff games. I agree with others Smart looks more comfortable at pg and it's time to unload Evan Turner. But Stevens loves him. That seems 50-50 for if he comes back. It all depends on Danny. It's all speculation. But with Sullinger it seems done, as in thanks for the memories, Sully.

I think Rozier will be ready for the rotation next year. I'm happy with IT, Terry, Smart and Bradley. I suppose if you can resign Turner for a home crowd discount, he would be insurance for Rozier.

I like penciling in Crowder for a lot of SF minutes. I don't think Turner is that good at SF despite it being his position for height.

It's a tricky situation. If Danny can't upgrade for backup SF, Rozier as second year player is iffy, and Smart as backup pg also sounds iffy, then Turner seems to still be needed.

I'd bring back Amir no matter what. We want to win playoff series next year. We need guys like him.

I'm probably sounding like Danny except for a few tweaks. I think he says, "I like all of my guys."

Maybe that is politics. If James Young, for example, can't be moved in a trade, then why sign his option? Also, I am not holding my breath that Jordan, RJ, and even Terry will be ready. I do know that whomever we draft is going to be in the rotation just like Marcus Smart always was.

I kind of don't care who wins the title this year as long as it isn't Cleveland.

As everyone else must be doing, I eagerly anticipate watching what Danny does. There's probably not one guy on the team who is untouchable. Even Marcus and Isaiah. Okay, I will make a list of who I least expect to be traded or let go. I call this my Boston Celtics Job Security Index.

1) Isaiah
2) Smart
3) Crowder
4) Olynyk
5) Rozier
6) Bradley
7) Jordan Mickey
8 ) Jerebko
9) Amir
10) Turner
11) Zeller
12) RJ Hunter
13) John Holland
14) Young
15) Sullinger

This has been a great rebuild. I don't know how anyone can be complaining. I am not even disappointed we lost the series. I give them all a pass because of the injuries. Maybe the team doctor and training staff need to be held accountable. It was bad luck or they are the true achilles heel, not Brad and Danny doing stupid things once in a while, or Crowder and Olynyk looking like scrubs, although they were hurting. It's easy to complain in front of the television while wolfing down a big bag of cheetos.

Good order, TP, although I think JJ and Mickey could be switched, since I think Mickey has more trade value, JJ can contribute more now too.

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2016, 06:57:23 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
I disagree, Marcus is a limited offensive player with a hero mentality.  No chance of ever being "smart" enough on the offensive end to be a quality point.  Playoffs did not demonstrate that Marcus could play the point and make sound decisions on offense!

For the right offer I would trade the 2nd coming of Tony Allen, without hesitation.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 07:57:24 PM by feckless »
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2016, 07:06:02 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
If smart could shoot 3s more consistently, he'd be more capable to be our backup SG

It's getting harder to talk about his potential consider Thomas has become an allstar and surpassed him as starting PG and Rozier may get even more mins at PG next season