Author Topic: What is Paul Pierce going to do now?  (Read 6738 times)

Re: What is Paul Pierce going to do now?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2016, 10:38:44 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
If Paul does want to retire, is there really much precedent for him to come back for a 10 day contract, or 1 game, or just a ceremonial 1 day contract? I know guys do the 1 day contract in the NFL and MLB but I can't remember it in the NBA. The only player I can think of was Dana Barrows coming back for one game (that really happened right? I didn't just dream that up did I?)

Yep.  They did have Barros back for the last game of 03-04 so they could squeeze him on the playoffs roster. 
Yup

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2016, 10:49:23 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
For james young straight up?

Doc would never bail Ainge out of another draft mistake.

Doc owes him one, Ainge acquired Austin Rivers and sent him to Doc for practically nothing.

Theoretically.

But I rather doubt Glenn Rivers thinks he owes anyone anything.

He seems to be rather entitled to me.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2016, 11:00:30 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Sad as it is, if even Doc isn't playing him, that's how you know it's over for PP... if he had a shred of his old self left, Doc would be playing him 20mpg. I do hope we bring him back to the organization, whatever role he wants.

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2016, 11:23:28 AM »

Online Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
If we build a contender this offseason, and it's a big if (Durant and either Boogie/Butler), then I would love to bring Pierce in on a vet min deal. Even if he plays garbage minutes and racks up a bunch of DNP-CD's, it would be awesome to have him go out with another ring, especially if it's in Boston. There will always be a place for Paul Pierce on this team.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2016, 01:49:39 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
Even if we don't become a contender it would still be nice to have Paul back. Whatever he has left to bring, even if it is only wisdom would be a positive.

Sad as it is, if even Doc isn't playing him, that's how you know it's over for PP...

Didn't he start at least their last game?

For james young straight up?

Doc would never bail Ainge out of another draft mistake.

Doc owes him one, Ainge acquired Austin Rivers and sent him to Doc for practically nothing.

Theoretically.

But I rather doubt Glenn Rivers thinks he owes anyone anything.

He seems to be rather entitled to me.

It's not really about Doc owing Ainge or us anything. It's about him owing Paul. Maybe not owing but c'mon, PP decided to go to the Clips to help Doc out. PP got Doc a championship. They've known each other for years. If Paul asked to go home to Boston it would kind of be **** move for Doc to say no. Especially when he isn't going to be a real factor next year.

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2016, 01:53:47 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I'm confused. A lot of the discussion above seems to imply that Pierce is a FA but he's under contract for 2 more years at $3.5 million per.

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2016, 03:03:09 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
I'm confused. A lot of the discussion above seems to imply that Pierce is a FA but he's under contract for 2 more years at $3.5 million per.

well it's "50-50" he retires which would make the contract moot. We could bring him back for a game or something like that after he retires. He could also "retire" basically get a buyout and then change his mind and sign with us. Or we could just trade for him, and unless we somehow bring our team salary up to 104.5 mil before that we wouldn't have to match salary. Something like a second round pick for PP straight up seems reasonable for everyone. Maybe 2, we did make Doc trade us a first for himself.

I bet if Paul wants to come home. Doc will be happy to help and that he learned enough from Ainge to get something, even small for his troubles. I don't buy for a second there is any bad blood between these two. Fans get hurt and call him "Dic" but he is and has always been nothing but a class act.

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2016, 03:29:01 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I'd love to have Pierce as a player/coach for a year if we have the roster spot. Especially if we get someone like Ingram or Brown. But he'd be a terrific voice to have around the young guys, even if he doesn't play.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2016, 04:28:19 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I know Paul has stated in the past that he wanted to end his career in Europe.  Sounds awesome,great food wine and sights while being overpaid.  BUT he has fallen off so much that I think he'd have to bring his old A game every night as youngsters, both euro and American would be trying to prove it against the old gun slinger.
We all know he's welcome back here.  His contract makes his appearance in a Celtics uniform again probably nil .  If he was a free agent I for sure could see the C's bringing him back as 3rd string sf but mainly as mentor.

Simply a countdown to raising #34

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2016, 05:31:35 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Set back and enjoy his millions

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2016, 05:43:25 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
Set back and enjoy his millions

This is a good question. If PP "retires" only to come back how does it impact his earnings? He has like 7 mil left on 2 years right? So he would have to negotiate a portion of that out of the Clips. and then if he signed with us, does he lose that Clips money or just the difference?

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2016, 06:02:23 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
TBH, I'd like to see him come back here for a year or two ONLY IF:

Danny is able to land a star or 2 and get the roster Contender-Ready next season. This "could" happen if things fall our way.

I don't think he is "done" in the sense that he couldn't help a title contender in limited spurts.

I think that in such a structured (and admittedly unlikely) scenario that PP would get a bit more energized by simply playing for the team that started it all for him AND would be giving him a true opportunity to go out on top.

That would be special. And unlikely, I know. But I had no idea that the Summer of 2007 would happen like it did, either.

C - Sully / KO / Zeller
PF - Amir /KO / PP
SF - Durant / PP
SG - Butler / AB / Smart
PG - IT / AB / Smart

Just a rough guess of our roster if things fell our way this summer.

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2016, 06:05:24 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Once he retires give him a job in the front office.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2016, 06:11:43 PM »

Online Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437

Danny is able to land a star or 2 and get the roster Contender-Ready next season. This "could" happen if things fall our way.

I don't think he is "done" in the sense that he couldn't help a title contender in limited spurts.

I think that in such a structured (and admittedly unlikely) scenario that PP would get a bit more energized by simply playing for the team that started it all for him AND would be giving him a true opportunity to go out on top.

That would be special. And unlikely, I know. But I had no idea that the Summer of 2007 would happen like it did, either.

C - Sully / KO / Zeller
PF - Amir /KO / PP
SF - Durant / PP
SG - Butler / AB / Smart
PG - IT / AB / Smart

I don't think any summer could possibly go our way if it ends with Sully as our starting center lol
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2016, 06:18:25 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

C - Sully / KO / Zeller
PF - Amir /KO / PP
SF - Durant / PP
SG - Butler / AB / Smart
PG - IT / AB / Smart

I don't think any summer could possibly go our way if it ends with Sully as our starting center lol

lol, I know.

I realize that a LOT is still up in the air with that roster I posted.

I know that we could get Durant to sign straight-up with us, but I also know that IF Butler is coming our way then maybe AB or Marcus could be going to CHI.

I'm not even sure if Zeller, KO or Sully would be our Bigs going forward on such a roster. But a Threesome of IT/Durant/Butler would be VERY good....at least ECF-Good I'd think.