Author Topic: What is Paul Pierce going to do now?  (Read 6714 times)

What is Paul Pierce going to do now?
« on: May 01, 2016, 04:51:18 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
I read he is 50-50 on retiring. I didn't watch any of the Clippers playoff games but from the stats he wasn't playing a ton and wasn't scoring much at all. So I guess I have a lot of questions:

Is he toast? Cn he still be productive next year?

If he can still play, is there any chance Doc would let us have him back? Would he want to come back?

If he wants to retire, how realistic is us signing him to a 10 day contract so he can retire in green?

I guess it doesn't really matter, but it would be nice to have him back. It's kind of sad that in the modern NBA it is so hard for a guy to just play with one team. But everyone will remember him as a Celtic in the same way no one remembers Malone as a Laker or Ewing as a Sonic.

I kind of think that if Paul went to Doc and said, I just want to go home to Boston so I can retire there becasue whatever retirement plans I have involve Boston, Doc very well might grant him his wish. I can't imagine it would cost much to get him.

Re: What is Paul Pierce going to do now?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 05:00:24 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Given how badly he has dropped off a cliff this season, I would hope to god he retires.

It is pretty painful watching Paul Pierce right now. as a shadow of his former self.  Even the current day version of KG is doing better then Pierce - at least he can still rebound and play defence at a high level (KG's DRPM has been great the past two seasons). 

Pierce is struggling to earn even scrap minutes right now, and it's not dignifying to see him like this.  He should probably either go to a young playoff team on a vet min contract to act as a mentor (e.g. Boston), or retire with some dignity still in tact.

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 09:10:57 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
If Paul does want to retire, is there really much precedent for him to come back for a 10 day contract, or 1 game, or just a ceremonial 1 day contract? I know guys do the 1 day contract in the NFL and MLB but I can't remember it in the NBA. The only player I can think of was Dana Barrows coming back for one game (that really happened right? I didn't just dream that up did I?)

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 09:16:07 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I think he's either going to play pro ball in Europe for a couple of seasons, or he's coming back to the C's in some coaching or front office type role. His days as an NBA player are over. Sooner or later, he will join the C's organization. He has always stated he wants that when he retires, and has repeatedly hinted he would consider playing in Europe for a bit after his NBA run is over.

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 09:27:45 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
This really needs to happen. I would gladly give him a KG style deal.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 09:42:24 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
I don't get why someone like him would want to play in Europe. He must have enough money, and even if it was about money, couldn't he make more here somehow off his celebrity? I guess he could still be a star in Europe but couldn't he find a good role on most NBA teams as mentor who play limited minutes? I can't remember too many big stars to go to Europe after their NBA days. Wilkens did it right? Rodman too but I think that was a disaster and almost certainly about the money given the way he parties (and I'm not sure he ever made a huge fortune in the NBA)

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 09:44:31 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
The Celtics need a veteran influence who knows how to win a LOT more than they need another infusion of rookies.

It'd be worth a deal to bring Pierce in, give him 10 or 15 minutes a night and let him teach the club how to avoid the third-quarter collapse that became its trademark.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 09:47:01 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
If Paul does want to retire, is there really much precedent for him to come back for a 10 day contract, or 1 game, or just a ceremonial 1 day contract? I know guys do the 1 day contract in the NFL and MLB but I can't remember it in the NBA. The only player I can think of was Dana Barrows coming back for one game (that really happened right? I didn't just dream that up did I?)
I think I remember Kevin Johnson came back on a ten day contract one time for the Suns, but it was to play and contribute because they were dealing with injury emergencies.

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 09:48:10 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I always thought it I were one of these guys it might be nice to get paid a million bucks to have a nice year or two long Euro vacation. Like sure I'll play for Panathikos or Roma.

Might depend on the kid situation

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 09:50:46 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
For james young straight up?

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 09:55:31 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Europe didn t work very well for iverson.

I don t want to see PP as a 20mpg 12ppg player in Europe for a couple of milions...His carrier deserves a better ending than that

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 09:59:02 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Doc would never bail Ainge out of another draft mistake.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2016, 10:19:41 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
I always thought it I were one of these guys it might be nice to get paid a million bucks to have a nice year or two long Euro vacation. Like sure I'll play for Panathikos or Roma.

Might depend on the kid situation

That's pretty much what Pierce has been quoted multiple times saying, that he could see himself getting to know Europe through an extended vacation by playing there for a year or two. I can't say I blame him, it would be an awesome experience when you really have no pressure to perform and are just playing the game you love and exploring some amazing countries and cultures.

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2016, 10:20:29 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Doc would never bail Ainge out of another draft mistake.

Doc owes him one, Ainge acquired Austin Rivers and sent him to Doc for practically nothing.

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2016, 10:37:47 AM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
"Doc owes him one, Ainge acquired Austin Rivers and sent him to Doc for practically nothing."

Yeah, why were we so quick to give up on Rivers and then give him away for nothing? He looks pretty good now. Does he only play well for his binky Daddy or something? Because a young, ballsy shooter seems like something that would mesh well with our team.

And on that note- why did we give away David Lee? I felt like he would have been valuable in the playoffs, for his leadership/locker room presence, plus our front court was awful, and he ended up on Dallas, helping them get to the playoffs and hurting our draft pick.

On a team with very little talent, it amazes me that we just send talent away and don't look back
Truuuuuuuuuth!