Author Topic: Kings Interviewing Ewing for Head Coach Omg.  (Read 4253 times)

Re: Kings Interviewing Ewing for Head Coach Omg.
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2016, 08:21:57 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
He's been Steve Clifford's top assistant for three years, so he probably knows what he's doing. I'd prefer a more established coach, but I'd rather hire Ewing than Vinny Del Negro.

Roy,

Why the hate for Vinny??  He has a 53%+ winning percentage as a head NBA coach and won 56 games his last year!!

http://www.basketball-reference.com/coaches/delnevi01c.html

Why?

Smitty77

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2016, 08:52:46 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Ewing probably deserves a head coaching gig.  However, I think the Kings hire Kevin McHale.  Either way, it looks like the Kings are trying hard to find a coach to reach/placate Cousins.

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2016, 08:57:38 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
He's been Steve Clifford's top assistant for three years, so he probably knows what he's doing. I'd prefer a more established coach, but I'd rather hire Ewing than Vinny Del Negro.

Roy,

Why the hate for Vinny??  He has a 53%+ winning percentage as a head NBA coach and won 56 games his last year!!

Why?

Smitty77

I've long wondered where the general hate for Vinny comes from.

Mike

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2016, 09:06:26 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

Roy,

Why?

Smitty77
I can say that I love vinny d as a neighborhood guy. (My area!)   Good prof. Player, vet etc.  Bad coach.  Doesn't have it.  Should not coach nba level.

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2016, 09:11:11 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Roy,

Why?

Smitty77

He horribly underachieved in Chicago, only managing a .500 record and not making it out of the first round. Thibs took over and immediately won 62 games and made it to the conference finals.

Similarly, even after winning 56 games in LA he underachieved. Analytics suggested that that team should have won 59 games based upon point differential. They then laid an egg in the playoffs, getting bounced in the first round.

That's two great situations, and a very bad track record in the playoffs.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2016, 09:30:31 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
They're interviewing Blatt on Monday apparently
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2016, 11:21:09 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
Ewing probably deserves a head coaching gig.  However, I think the Kings hire Kevin McHale.  Either way, it looks like the Kings are trying hard to find a coach to reach/placate Cousins.
McHale would never take that job.  Houston's implosion this past season I think reflects well on him because its obvious that he wasn't the problem.   He can afford to be a bit more selective.

The coach Sac gets will be someone who wants a head coaching job so badly he'll overlook all the garbage associated with that franchise.  Ewing has more than paid his dues but for whatever reason hasn't gotten a chance.  I think he'd be a real good fit there.

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2016, 11:55:35 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
They're interviewing Blatt on Monday apparently
He has experience in being bullied by his players.  Maybe he's the perfect man for the job ;)

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2016, 12:29:47 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Haha that's funny. Blatt is perfect coach for the Kings, he can take a verbal lashing every night from DMC and be fine with it!

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2016, 12:59:14 AM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145

Roy,

Why?

Smitty77

He horribly underachieved in Chicago, only managing a .500 record and not making it out of the first round. Thibs took over and immediately won 62 games and made it to the conference finals.

Similarly, even after winning 56 games in LA he underachieved. Analytics suggested that that team should have won 59 games based upon point differential. They then laid an egg in the playoffs, getting bounced in the first round.

I think the hate for Del Negro is overblown. What team did he underachieve with in Chicago? For most of his tenure, his best player was Ben Gordon. You can't do much with that. Thibs first year in Chicago - he had a more developed Rose and they added Boozer. If anything, the Bulls met expectations and overachieved in the playoffs by pushing the Celtics so hard.

Yeah, they lost a tough series to the Grizzlies - but we shouldn't forget that the Grizzlies team was great that season. It was better than the Clippers. Just a tough seeding situation.

I don't think Del Negro is Steve Kerr or anything, but you know. Not as awful as people think.

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2016, 09:48:32 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
Supposedly the Pacers haven't even discussed re-upping Vogel and his deal is expiring.  I wonder whether McHale lands there?

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2016, 04:52:38 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Roy,

Why?

Smitty77

Roy,

To compare him to Thibs is horribly unfair.  Yes, Thibs is a better coach.  As far as under performing in LA, you can add Doc Rivers to that list as well!!!!

There were some differences in the team rosters as well.

In 2008-2009, there was no Taj, no Korver, no Richard Hamilton, and no CJ Watson (before you laugh, he shot 39.3% from three in 2011-2012).

In 2009-2010, there was no Korver, no Hamilton, and no CJ Watson.

Why the hatred Roy?

Smitty77

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2016, 04:54:17 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Roy,

Why?

Smitty77

Hold Doc to the same level of accountability in LA and I will be happy:-)!!

Smitty77

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2016, 05:17:28 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Roy,

Why?

Smitty77

Roy,

To compare him to Thibs is horribly unfair.  Yes, Thibs is a better coach.  As far as under performing in LA, you can add Doc Rivers to that list as well!!!!

In 2008-2009, there was no Taj, no Korver, no Richard Hamilton, and no CJ Watson (before you laugh, he shot 39.3% from three in 2011-2012).

Why the hatred Roy?

Smitty77

Smitty, I explained myself. You don't have to agree that winning 41 games with Rose, Deng, Noah, Hinrich, and Gibson was underachieving.  However, me disagreeing doesn't mean I'm hating.

Your subsequent comment suggests you're only pro-Vinny to support an anti-Doc stance? It seems like a thin reason to call somebody out.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2016, 09:10:31 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Roy,

Why?

Smitty77

Roy,

Why the hatred Roy?

Smitty77

Smitty, I explained myself. You don't have to agree that winning 41 games with Rose, Deng, Noah, Hinrich, and Gibson was underachieving.  However, me disagreeing doesn't mean I'm hating.

Your subsequent comment suggests you're only pro-Vinny to support an anti-Doc stance? It seems like a thin reason to call somebody out.

Shock of all shocks.  Assuming is usually inaccurate as it is here.  I am a Vinny fan because my oldest brother graduated from NC State with a Chemical Engineering degree back in the 1970s and my daughter was a Chem E grad in 2012 and my son was a Park Scholar Finalist and will be attending NC State in the Fall.

I am not necessarily anti-Doc, but I think that he has been and continues to be HIGHLY overrated.  He is a great players' coach and a very good massager of large egos as he did with us in 2008.  That being said, have you read what Austin Rivers said about his relationship or utter LACK of a father/son relationship with his dad?  That is FAR more important than anything Doc did in the NBA as a player and/or coach!!  It is so very sad that Doc was simply NOT there for his son.

Smitty77