Author Topic: Kings Interviewing Ewing for Head Coach Omg.  (Read 4245 times)

Kings Interviewing Ewing for Head Coach Omg.
« on: May 01, 2016, 01:08:35 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

What a pathetic organization. No disrespect to Patrick. Here a nice guy, but not head coach material.

Just let Cousins hire his favorite Uncle. That would make more sense. Waste of a franchise. Trade Cousins here for 50 cents on the dollar. They shouldn't even have him. Wasting talent.

Re: Kings Interviewing Ewing for Head Coach Omg.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 03:39:23 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
Maybe the idea is DMC will listen to Ewing? How many coaches are the Kings still paying because they fired? NBA coach has got to be the best job in the world (well after player) where else can you get fired and still get payed? Maybe some big investment bank?

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 05:10:27 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Patrick Ewing has been an assistant coach for quite some time in the league, so he has some coaching experience.

He's also one of the best centers ever to play the game, and seems to be a pretty easy guy to get along with, so he just might gel with Cousins. 

I wouldn't say it's the worlds greatest decisions, but I've seen worse ones.  Like Mike D'Antoni in LA, or George Karl in Sacramento lol

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 08:14:53 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Ewing has basically been an assistant coach since 2003, with the Rockets, Magic, and currently with the Hornets.  I don't think he would be a terrible head coach at all and he has obviously paid his dues in the league.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 08:29:08 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
He's been Steve Clifford's top assistant for three years, so he probably knows what he's doing. I'd prefer a more established coach, but I'd rather hire Ewing than Vinny Del Negro.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 09:03:45 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Ewing has been coaching in the NBA for over a decade.

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 09:36:29 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 616

What a pathetic organization. No disrespect to Patrick. Here a nice guy, but not head coach material.

Just let Cousins hire his favorite Uncle. That would make more sense. Waste of a franchise. Trade Cousins here for 50 cents on the dollar. They shouldn't even have him. Wasting talent.

What are you basing that on? Links? Stories?

Genuinely curious
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 09:42:14 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Patrick Ewing has been an assistant coach for quite some time in the league, so he has some coaching experience.

He's also one of the best centers ever to play the game, and seems to be a pretty easy guy to get along with, so he just might gel with Cousins. 

I wouldn't say it's the worlds greatest decisions, but I've seen worse ones.  Like Mike D'Antoni in LA, or George Karl in Sacramento lol

Or Billy Donovan in Oklahoma City.

Lots of hyperbole on this blog over the years about the genius of Sam Presti, but old Silly Donovan has been absolutely overmatched in the association this year.

Now, Pop is about to take him to school in the playoffs.

And Presti canned Durant's guy Scott Brooks to hire his good buddy Donovan. May very well cost him Durant.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 10:01:01 AM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I honestly don't know if Ewing is head coach material or not, but the Kings have to get this one right. They need to hire somebody that will be around for at least 3-4 years so they can stop paying multiple coaches that are not around anymore. How much money will they be paying this year for former coaches anyway?

I guess if DMC is a big fan of Ewing, then sure, why not? But, Sac needs to pick a direction and go with it...but that direction is probably not trying to compete hard for a top spot in the Western conference, as evidenced by this tragic excuse for a season.

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 10:41:15 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2237
Man, I got excited about our Nets pick next year for a second.

I thought the title was "King" interviews Ewing. That would've been cool.

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 11:50:20 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 290
I feel bad for Ewing actually. He's been trying to get a head coaching gig for a decade with no luck. Now he might finally get his shot at a place that could ruin his chance at ever getting another one.

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 12:12:54 PM »

Offline FreddieJ

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 7
A bullying the Kings thread? Who cares

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2016, 12:48:25 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
where does the OP get the idea that Ewing is not head coaching material? Has he been given a chance? Was Luke Walton head coaching material before he got a chance? Was Earl Watson? There is no logic other than luck of the draw why those two got a chance before Patrick Ewing.

Bottom line is you don't know until you give him a chance.

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2016, 01:11:11 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 I've been to a bunch of Hornets Games. The guy doesn't really do anything in the games. He stands up, it's impressive because he's so huge.
 He doesn't really talk to anyone or do anything. In the role he has now, he's fine. In practice working with the big guys. That's fine, he's a fine big man coach.
 I promise I will eat crow if he sets the league on fire, if you think Ewing is going to beat Stevens in a game of adjustments and schematics, well he's not.

Ewing might coach Kings
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2016, 07:06:10 PM »

Offline NHHillbilly

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 20
From ESPN sotry "Former New York Knicks center Patrick Ewing will interview for the Sacramento Kings' head-coaching vacancy this week, Hornets coach Steve Clifford confirmed Sunday."

Maybe Ewing and Cousins can see eye to eye:  at least Ewing can't be called "the little guy" in the relationship.

Hope Kings do hire Ewing and keep Cousins.  Don't want Cousins on the Celts at any price.

Maybe Ewing could stare down Rondo too.