Author Topic: Kevin Durant: Having a really good coach is probably most important thing.  (Read 7476 times)

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Even if you just want to chalk it down to a Freudian slip, the phrase "Having a coach, a really good coach is probably the most important thing in this league." is an oddly specific thing to say off the top of you head when you spend as much time as Durant thinking about your impending free agency.

I'd argue that "No matter how many moving parts they have on the team, he always stays consistent with what he does" describes Brad Stevens to the letter.

How about
"They’ve got great players, but they also have a great coach to put them in positions that utilizes all their strengths as individuals and make it come together as a team."
Current Chinese Basktetball player Jordan Crawford was Eastern Conference player of the week under Stevens. Former "difficult to fit into an offense" player Isaiah Thomas is an Eastern Conference All Star. Crowder, Jerebko, even Zeller to an extent have all reached new heights in their careers under Stevens.

Durant said earler this year said something to the effect of his team was never going to pass it fifty times on a possession. While we have great ball movement our players are also encouraged to take the shots that come to them. KD would be a close to ideal fit in Stevens' system.

Think I've raised my take on our chance with him from, fun-to-think-about-but-unlikely to cautiously-optimistic-about-our-outlook.

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Lowkey what if he's talking about Luke Walton, in wake of his hiring?
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
gah, my hopes are at a all time high, I am really really really hoping for fireworks :(

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Durant plus Ingram, please.

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
He wants to win a title now.

Stevens or no Stevens, this roster is never, ever winning a title. Not today, not tomorrow, not ever.

And adding a bunch of rookies doesn't meet Durant's criteria at all.

So if you really want this dude, you better hope Ainge can land the veteran or veterans that reshapes this roster into a contender - before Durant signs on.

Because if he doesn't, Durant is not coming to Boston.

Well the hope is we can get a butler or someone like that maybe on draft night.

If we don't, Durant ain't walking through that door to play with Dragan Bender and R.J. No D Hunter.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker

Stevens or no Stevens, this roster is never, ever winning a title. Not today, not tomorrow, not ever.

So if you really want this dude, you better hope Ainge can land the veteran or veterans that reshapes this roster into a contender - before Durant signs on.

If we don't, Durant ain't walking through that door to play with Dragan Bender and R.J. No D Hunter.

Ok, thanks for stating the obvious
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Lol. Tp.

Between this and the rumor I heard today on this forum that the lakers are willing to give up clarkson and their top 3 pick for butler... Oof.

Here's hoping the laker pick falls to 4 and Philly gets it.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Thomas, smart, Bradley, crowder and our top 5 pick aren't bad.  We have room for two max contracts without making a single trade.  If Durant wants to come here and bring horford, Howard or derozan, he can.  I'm not sure how the "butler or bust" premise started.  There's plenty of reasons already for Durant to pick this team.

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
If DA is serious about Durant, he has some of the other pieces worked out. He will have things set so that regardless of what happens on draft night, he is ready to push the button as soon as legally able.

These comments are positive from Durant. He is still at the beginning of a playoff series though and wouldn't want to be giving too much away, especially indications of where he might be heading (or thinking of heading) next season. It is positive to know he thinks that way knowing that Boston fits well with his thinking.

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
Lol. Tp.

Between this and the rumor I heard today on this forum that the lakers are willing to give up clarkson and their top 3 pick for butler... Oof.

Here's hoping the laker pick falls to 4 and Philly gets it.

Lol that was also me. But to be fair, it was less a rumor, and more so speculation from a few fans.

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
If DA is serious about Durant, he has some of the other pieces worked out. He will have things set so that regardless of what happens on draft night, he is ready to push the button as soon as legally able.

These comments are positive from Durant. He is still at the beginning of a playoff series though and wouldn't want to be giving too much away, especially indications of where he might be heading (or thinking of heading) next season. It is positive to know he thinks that way knowing that Boston fits well with his thinking.

I think he's legally able now. If I recall correctly, teams that aren't in the postseason anymore can make trades with each other.

*wakes up tomorrow morning*
The Chicago Bulls have traded Jimmy Butler to the Boston Celtics, sources tell @TheVertical

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
The guy is almost starting to beg to come here. Give us a little time to decide, buddy. Geez.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11

You're wrong. We could easily build a championship contender around Durant, we just need Durant to agree to come here. We have plenty of assets to get Bultler or Boogie if we want, but we won't mortgage our future for only one of them, because they won't get us a championship alone. If Durant actually wanted to come to Boston, we would significantly overpay for a star and for another player in free agency and then give KD the max. We would be instant championship contenders, but we need the agreement of KD to come here.

So no, he won't come here to play with RJ Hunter (Which doesn't make sense given that he barely even played this year), since we would be using our cap space and all of our picks to get stars for him to play with.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
half the teams probably have good coaches and half the teams probably don't. For example, even just this year, SVG has done good things in Detroit, as has Carlisle in Dallas, as has Clifford in Charlotte. It's great we have CBS but he's not the only good coach around.

- LilRip

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I agree with Bo. Durant isn't leaving his MVP caliber running mate to come to a team with fewer than two perennial All Star type players already on board.

And to be honest, I think the Celts are out if the picture unless they add a couple of guys with some playoff acumen. Not enough collective playoff experience on this roster.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain