Author Topic: Hypothetical Bender Question  (Read 3536 times)

Re: Hypothetical Bender Question
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2016, 03:37:13 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
The draft spin for a few weeks is C's now believe that they no longer have to trade their top pick for short championship aspirations. C's people are saying having multiple top 1-10 players selected in four out of five years starting from Smart draft and using nets picks will allow the team to be competitive with a prideful product now and build a championship level team in 4 years.

Now Idk if C's are simply trying to raise the value of their pick trying to make it look like they don't want/need to deal it. Or they feel that FA and the market won't allow any big moves. Last year C's did have cap for a early years max guy but they punted. Will suck to see a punt this year. Or maybe it is all true and it's a Warriors type build. Warrior's didn't exactly suck or bottom out just a lot of draft luck and skill built an incredible team.

It is going to be a very interesting off season.
The closer we get to the draft, the more I feel like this is what I'd prefer. It seems like so many teams lose out on win-now deals when owers get impatient. It worked for the Celtics but if that that could have been an aberration. What if not trading these Brooklyn picks is our version of the Warriors not trading for Kevin Love?

Would it be nice to have Jimmy Butler and/or Kevin Durant? Of course it would. But I'm ok with consolidating some of the players and picks we have in this draft, picking high, and letting things grow organically.

My random guess is that as many or more franchises lose out by growing organically, compared to those franchises who lose by landing stars in trades.

To your credit, you mentioned the summer of 2007 as a counter-example. Can you imagine if we waited for Rondo, Big Al, Gerald and Delonte to grow organically?
I'm sure a top player is worth dealing for. If it is 16-30 range players you may have to pass on because of price. Most teams don't have patience and sometimes try too hard to aquire players in trades and get burned. I'm more worried if C's can't deal for a top guy what happens cap wise? Do they over spend just to spend and get someone?

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2016, 03:46:35 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
The draft spin for a few weeks is C's now believe that they no longer have to trade their top pick for short championship aspirations. C's people are saying having multiple top 1-10 players selected in four out of five years starting from Smart draft and using nets picks will allow the team to be competitive with a prideful product now and build a championship level team in 4 years.

Now Idk if C's are simply trying to raise the value of their pick trying to make it look like they don't want/need to deal it. Or they feel that FA and the market won't allow any big moves. Last year C's did have cap for a early years max guy but they punted. Will suck to see a punt this year. Or maybe it is all true and it's a Warriors type build. Warrior's didn't exactly suck or bottom out just a lot of draft luck and skill built an incredible team.

The closer we get to the draft, the more I feel like this is what I'd prefer. It seems like so many teams lose out on win-now deals when owers get impatient. It worked for the Celtics but if that that could have been an aberration. What if not trading these Brooklyn picks is our version of the Warriors not trading for Kevin Love?

Would it be nice to have Jimmy Butler and/or Kevin Durant? Of course it would. But I'm ok with consolidating some of the players and picks we have in this draft, picking high, and letting things grow organically.

My random guess is that as many or more franchises lose out by growing organically, compared to those franchises who lose by landing stars in trades.

To your credit, you mentioned the summer of 2007 as a counter-example. Can you imagine if we waited for Rondo, Big Al, Gerald and Delonte to grow organically?
That team would also have Jeff Green but I don't think that helps my case much, does it?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2016, 03:54:12 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

That team would also have Jeff Green but I don't think that helps my case much, does it?

If we were lucky, Danny would have gone for a home run with Yi Jianlian.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2016, 03:59:07 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Lets not forget Paul Pierce who was one year removed from a season where he put up 27/7/5

They also had perk and TA, and based on the fact that Danny would later trade for him, youd have to expect theyd also have Jeff Green.

Rondo, Delonte, TA, Green, Perk, Pierce, Big Al, G Green is not a bad core at all.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2016, 04:03:34 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Lets not forget Paul Pierce who was one year removed from a season where he put up 27/7/5

They also had perk and TA, and based on the fact that Danny would later trade for him, youd have to expect theyd also have Jeff Green.

Rondo, Delonte, TA, Green, Perk, Pierce, Big Al, G Green is not a bad core at all.

Yeah, I can see the championships we would have piled up. Paul Pierce was just short-sighted (demanding a trade), and Danny was foolish (blowing it up).

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes