Author Topic: Hypothetical Bender Question  (Read 3531 times)

Hypothetical Bender Question
« on: April 30, 2016, 07:34:14 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I'm curious where people are at in terms of how patient they might be in getting a star.

Let's say Bender is the Croatian Kevin Garnett (again, I'm not saying he is that but for the sake of this argument, let's assume that this will happen for this kid) but he has a slow NBA learning curve. He'll spent 2 years as a bench player who doesn't contribute much but shows good signs, in his 3rd year he becomes a rotation player, in his 4th season he becomes and all star and in his 5th year a perenial MVP candidate for a decade.

But what this means is that he's not contributing to the rotation until 2018 and doesn't make an all star team until 2019.

If you knew for certain that he was, eventually, going to be Garnett-level good, would you select him with the #3 pick?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Re: Hypothetical Bender Question
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 08:42:03 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Of course. But, he won't be.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 08:48:06 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
No way this guy approaches KG status.

More like the Croatian Patrick O'Bryant.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 09:00:16 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I mean no one so far has really addressed your question. Or they do answer it, and make sure to add that it won't happen. Well if you read your original question stem, it's implicitly stated he wont. You are knocking on the door of a ultimatum question, namely are we too attached to our "current window."

If you have the opportunity to get the next elite level prospect, you don't pass on that opportunity just because our 5'9 gunner point guard probably won't be good in 3 years. Or are people worried about bradley and crowder? Because bradley has a large enough window to still be good in 4 or 5 years. If you have an opportunity to grow the highest level squad you take it, you don't settle for a lesser product just because our band of hustle and heart guys don't fit that window.

So yes, you take the elite player, even if it takes a few years to get there. You don't pass on the hypothetical KG for the hypothetical jj Reddick  (more athletic version albeit) or the no jumpshot terrance ross.
#JKJB

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 09:18:37 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I'm curious where people are at in terms of how patient they might be in getting a star.

Let's say Bender is the Croatian Kevin Garnett (again, I'm not saying he is that but for the sake of this argument, let's assume that this will happen for this kid) but he has a slow NBA learning curve. He'll spent 2 years as a bench player who doesn't contribute much but shows good signs, in his 3rd year he becomes a rotation player, in his 4th season he becomes and all star and in his 5th year a perenial MVP candidate for a decade.

But what this means is that he's not contributing to the rotation until 2018 and doesn't make an all star team until 2019.

If you knew for certain that he was, eventually, going to be Garnett-level good, would you select him with the #3 pick?

Future KG? You select him #1, lol

Also, I think people throw around the KG comp a ittle lightly sometimes. KG is the greatest defensive player since Bill Russell, and arguably the 2nd greatest PF ever after Duncan.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 10:04:23 PM by loco_91 »

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 09:39:43 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

In general I am willing to wait on project prospects with high upside. I expect whoever we draft with the Net's pick to be able to play at least a little bit right away. Bender probably would give us the least minutes his rookie year of any Nets level prospects but I'm ok with that.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 10:55:33 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
In your situation you would definitely take him. If I knew he'd be the 3rd best player in the draft in 3 years I'd take him 3rd. If I thought it would take him til the end of his contract to become the 3rd best player in the draft I'd hesitate.

I expect him to contribute from the bench in his first season though. His lack of game time in Europe is a concern for judging his long term potential but on the flip side it should make it easier for him to slip into an NBA rotation.

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 11:47:46 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
This kid isn't even the Croatian Manute Bol....

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 12:31:50 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
The draft spin for a few weeks is C's now believe that they no longer have to trade their top pick for short championship aspirations. C's people are saying having multiple top 1-10 players selected in four out of five years starting from Smart draft and using nets picks will allow the team to be competitive with a prideful product now and build a championship level team in 4 years.

Now Idk if C's are simply trying to raise the value of their pick trying to make it look like they don't want/need to deal it. Or they feel that FA and the market won't allow any big moves. Last year C's did have cap for a early years max guy but they punted. Will suck to see a punt this year. Or maybe it is all true and it's a Warriors type build. Warrior's didn't exactly suck or bottom out just a lot of draft luck and skill built an incredible team.

It is going to be a very interesting off season.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 12:37:16 PM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 12:33:29 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I have doubts that he will be a productive player in Europe let alone in the NBA

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 01:19:03 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
The draft spin for a few weeks is C's now believe that they no longer have to trade their top pick for short championship aspirations. C's people are saying having multiple top 1-10 players selected in four out of five years starting from Smart draft and using nets picks will allow the team to be competitive with a prideful product now and build a championship level team in 4 years.

Now Idk if C's are simply trying to raise the value of their pick trying to make it look like they don't want/need to deal it. Or they feel that FA and the market won't allow any big moves. Last year C's did have cap for a early years max guy but they punted. Will suck to see a punt this year. Or maybe it is all true and it's a Warriors type build. Warrior's didn't exactly suck or bottom out just a lot of draft luck and skill built an incredible team.

Is this speculation on your end, or do you have some inside info?
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 01:50:40 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Is this speculation on your end, or do you have some inside info?
No going off recent stuff on basketball insiders and other sites and interviews. It is likely all spin to boost value of pick saying they will keep it.

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2016, 02:52:11 PM »

Offline Smart457

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
Bender is a phenomenal passer. He's also very coordinated and seems to have good movement on the defensive end. These two things should help him transition easier while the rest of his game gets there.

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2016, 03:10:23 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

The closer we get to the draft, the more I feel like this is what I'd prefer. It seems like so many teams lose out on win-now deals when owers get impatient. It worked for the Celtics but if that that could have been an aberration. What if not trading these Brooklyn picks is our version of the Warriors not trading for Kevin Love?

Would it be nice to have Jimmy Butler and/or Kevin Durant? Of course it would. But I'm ok with consolidating some of the players and picks we have in this draft, picking high, and letting things grow organically.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2016, 03:21:02 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

The closer we get to the draft, the more I feel like this is what I'd prefer. It seems like so many teams lose out on win-now deals when owers get impatient. It worked for the Celtics but if that that could have been an aberration. What if not trading these Brooklyn picks is our version of the Warriors not trading for Kevin Love?

Would it be nice to have Jimmy Butler and/or Kevin Durant? Of course it would. But I'm ok with consolidating some of the players and picks we have in this draft, picking high, and letting things grow organically.

My random guess is that as many or more franchises lose out by growing organically, compared to those franchises who lose by landing stars in trades.

To your credit, you mentioned the summer of 2007 as a counter-example. Can you imagine if we waited for Rondo, Big Al, Gerald and Delonte to grow organically?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes