Author Topic: 2016 draft prospect: Thoughts on Jarrod Uthoff??  (Read 2947 times)

2016 draft prospect: Thoughts on Jarrod Uthoff??
« on: April 30, 2016, 05:17:15 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
of course highlights can make any prospect look like a million bucks. But something about this kid screams possible steal of the draft. Or at least one of many.

SF - 6'9, 7'0 wingspan, 215-220 pounds (needs to add 10 more).   "sure" jump shot.  But doesn't get much lift when shooting.  However when driving to the basket can lay down some vicious dunks.    Good ball handling skills.   Terrific shot blocker.  Could be a better rebounder but decent for a SF.   Not much of a passer though his assist numbers were around 2 a game most of the year.    Reading he is also a solid/versatile defender.   Outside of looking at stats, reading scouting reports and highlights video below, can anyone else tell me more about this prospect?    2nd round pick potential or could go undrafted?   

Looks like a Jerebko , mainly sf version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeFS3ur_ygw

« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 05:26:29 PM by triboy16f »

Re: 2016 draft prospect: Thoughts on Jarrod Uthoff??
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 05:22:46 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I added this in the other thread...

I would also add that Uthoff is a very interesting player. At first glance you think he's a defensive liability, but then you look closer and realize he not only shot 38.2% from 3's at a high volume (5.2 attempts per game), but combines that shooting with good height (6-9) and outstanding defensive numbers (2.6 bpg and 1.0 spg), while only committing 1.5 fouls per game, which tells me he's very sound defensively.

Then I look at his ESPN scouting report and it's very positive and screams solid 3 and D role player:

Hollinger PER- 28.17
Projection- Late First Round Pick

Positives
Athletic forward
Excellent defender and shot-blocker
Good rebounder
Good shooter with 3-point range

Negatives
Inconsistent
Needs to add strength

« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 05:37:34 PM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 05:25:52 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
DX has him 47, while ESPN has him at 25 with this description:

Uthoff's ability to stretch the floor, protect the rim and guard multiple positions has won him a lot of fans.

He's thin and he isn't always as aggressive as scouts would like, but he has earned enough supporters that he looks likely to land somewhere in the 20s.

I'll say this, he looks really long. He's probably going to measure really well at the combine.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 05:34:24 PM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 06:27:58 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Iowan here who watched Uthoff a lot.  Showed a lot of ability but very insonsistent results.  Seemed to have very little leadership ability and don't know if his athleticism will transfer to the pros.  On the plus side, has the all around game to be a poor man's Shane Battier.

Mike

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 06:39:47 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Iowan here who watched Uthoff a lot.  Showed a lot of ability but very insonsistent results.  Seemed to have very little leadership ability and don't know if his athleticism will transfer to the pros.  On the plus side, has the all around game to be a poor man's Shane Battier.

Mike

From the little I've seen of him he looks longer than he is athletic, which causes him to appear as he's more athletic than he really is with that long wingspan. He also seems to a very long strider, like a Jeff Green, which is good in the open floor, but leaves a lot to be desired in terms of quickness on a first step. I do like his short compact shooting motion though.

Are my observations accurate?

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 06:46:30 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Mike

Is he late 1st material?

His unlimited range "sure" looking jump shot for real?

How is his defense?  (;

We need more details if possible

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 07:07:58 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Mike

Is he late 1st material?

His unlimited range "sure" looking jump shot for real?

How is his defense?  (;

We need more details if possible

Legit shooter and scorer.  Great shot blocker for his position.  There was a moment in the college season where he looked like he belonged in the discussion for player of the year.

Not a terrible athlete but doesn't look like he will do in the pros what he could do in college.  Works hard but is not a guy who can really lead a team.  Two of the last three years, the Hawkeyes totally collapsed down the stretch of the regular season and Uthoff didn't look like he could do anything about it.

On the gripping hand, the coach never really built the team around Uthoff to maximize his production.  But Uthoff never showed the competitive fire to demand that kind of role.

I wouldn't use either our own or the Dallas pick on him unless he looks really good at the combine or in workouts.  But the Philly pick to start the second round?  I'd be fine with that.

Mike

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 08:50:43 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Without watching him play, he sounds great on paper. Athleticism + length + defense + shooting usually = useful NBA player.

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 09:32:33 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Definitely worth the second second round pick after Thon Maker

Let him do summer league and see what happens

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 03:44:12 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 03:55:08 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
NBA draft workout

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6yGZHXFXQE#t=18
thanks, but...ha, ha...i am not sure he even leaves the ground when he shoots.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 04:08:23 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
NBA draft workout

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6yGZHXFXQE#t=18
thanks, but...ha, ha...i am not sure he even leaves the ground when he shoots.  ;D

ESPN has him going mid 20's, DX mid 40's.

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 04:26:03 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If he can cover threes and fours, hit outside shots, and rebound his position, he will have a role in the NBA, no doubt about it.

That said, watching the video he looks pretty slow, and not especially strong.  It looks like he may have already added as much muscle to his frame as he can without slowing down further.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 05:51:35 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
If he can cover threes and fours, hit outside shots, and rebound his position, he will have a role in the NBA, no doubt about it.

That said, watching the video he looks pretty slow, and not especially strong.  It looks like he may have already added as much muscle to his frame as he can without slowing down further.

Not that slowwww.  Looks to be as slow as Pierce later in his career

He looks decisive in his actions at least

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 05:58:32 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

actually, he reminds a bit of jerebko. the celtics could do worse with their second rounders.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva