Author Topic: Would you trade IT + 3-5 pick for Jimmy Butler ?  (Read 13887 times)

Re: Would you trade IT + 3-5 pick for Jimmy Butler ?
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2016, 04:36:28 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Put me in the "only if it ensures we get Durant" group
Yeah, but to be fair... I'd trade every single player and asset on this team for the ghost of Brian Scalabrine if it got us Durant.   

I do see the logic of this deal.  We don't necessarily need a true PG.  Thomas might have a future as a 6th man afterall.   We still hope Marcus Smart can take a leap and he's probably a PG - or Bradley can fill in.   

I just have high hopes for that pick and I'm not super in favor of swapping out one all-star for another at the expense of a prospect that might develop into a key part of this team.  You'd be losing one borderline star who can't carry an offense for another borderline star that can't carry an offense... and losing our greatest trade chip (or franchise hope) in the process by losing our rare top 6 pick.

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2016, 04:59:27 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
In terms of on-court value, it's probably pretty close.

Butler scares me though.  I question why the Bulls are so eager to trade their best player.  A young star like that should be the building block you keep.  Instead they're actively shopping him, and I wonder what I don't know.

If I'm going to take a chance on a high-risk high-reward guy, I'd prefer Cousins.

bc of 2 things

1)  he called out his coach for not working them harder.   Think about this for a sec.   
I would love to have a guy like that.    CBS would prob have to plead with him to stop over practicing.  After dinner go home instead of going back to the gym

2)  He wants to be more of the leader of the team. But dummy bulls still think Rose is. Or he will be "back".   Rose was given this "silver spoon".  We run things through him. Consult with him etc.      I'm not stating just bc of an unfortunate injury that is hampering his career to just ignore him now, but also give attention to butler too. 

BTW butler had several 40 pt scoring night last season. several triple doubles.  Just unconscious some games with little to no support.   Calling him underrated is false. The guy is good. 

1 on 1 comparison he is >IT. Bc of his versatile defense.   I would do this trade in a heartbeat. Love the little guy but trading him and giving AB, Smart more PG responsibilities , would be ok by me.    And both AB and Smart can cover pgs on the defensive end

I really did not like AB covering pgs and IT cover Korver? or Bazemore?  That was ridiculous

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2016, 05:08:57 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Put me in the "only if it ensures we get Durant" group
Yeah, but to be fair... I'd trade every single player and asset on this team for the ghost of Brian Scalabrine if it got us Durant.   

I do see the logic of this deal.  We don't necessarily need a true PG.  Thomas might have a future as a 6th man afterall.   We still hope Marcus Smart can take a leap and he's probably a PG - or Bradley can fill in.   

I just have high hopes for that pick and I'm not super in favor of swapping out one all-star for another at the expense of a prospect that might develop into a key part of this team.  You'd be losing one borderline star who can't carry an offense for another borderline star that can't carry an offense... and losing our greatest trade chip (or franchise hope) in the process by losing our rare top 6 pick.

Yep. This. It's a very backwards move for us. Bulls fans would do anything for this return. Butler won't make this team any better than what we saw in the Atlanta series. Instead of doubling Isaiah, they'd double Jimmy. Not to mention you lose a top 3 pick and another first rounder AND Amir (whose effect on this defense has been outstanding).

If you want KD, you get another star. You don't ship out the star you have for another star, AND give up a possible future star/best trade chip too.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2016, 06:02:26 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Trade

To Bulls: IT, 2016 nets pick, Celtics pick, 35th pick, Amir
To Celtics: Butler, Barstow

Celtics lineup after trade (not considering draft or FA results)

C- ?
PF-  KO
SF- Crowder
SG- Butler (also primary ball handler)
PG- AB  (guards pg anyways)

C-  Jerebko
PF- Mickey/Barstow
SF- ?
SG-  Smart
PG-  Rozier

yay or nay?

Nay and this makes no sense.  Jimmy Butler did not make the playoffs this year.  Isaiah Thomas did.  Why oh why on earth would trade IT and a Top-3 pick for him????

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2016, 06:03:31 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
Yes

I'd like Ainge to try and trade Isaiah before he is due for another contract. I don't want to pay him max dollars in 2 years time. To get Jimmy Butler for Isaiah would be a great move. I am not overly enamored with the lotto pick (outside top 2). I am happy to move the pick and Isaiah for Butler. That is good business.

That is insane. 

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2016, 06:17:38 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Trade

C- ?
PF-  KO
SF- Crowder

C-  Jerebko
PF- Mickey/Barstow
SF- ?
SG-  Smart
PG-  Rozier

yay or nay?

Nay.  Switch out IT for Bradley and take out Amir, it would be worth considering.

In the short run, we become a better version of the team we already are.  In the long run, we'd have two all stars on board and ready to make the next big move.  Make that trade for Butler, sign Dwight Howard and the Celtics could be the 2nd best team in the East.

Mike

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2016, 06:30:47 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Thomas for Butler is basically a lateral move. I do think Butler is the better player of the two but at the end of the day we'd still be a team with only 1 star who can create some offense and a team that needs more talent elsewhere. And in this particular deal we give away our most valuable assett (the pick). So no, I don't like the deal.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2016, 06:35:56 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
My god butler is so overrated.

I wouldn't do that trade either, but I'm curious as to which Bulls fan's opinion you're regurgitating? Because my your own admission...

Yeah, I also know I've seen articles from Bulls fans who said his defense cratered once he was given a larger offensive role.  Honestly, I haven't watched enough of Butler to really have a major opinion one way or the other. I just know what I've read about him.

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2016, 06:38:24 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

I wouldn't do that trade either, but I'm curious as to which Bulls fan's opinion you're regurgitating? Because my your own admission...

Yeah, I also know I've seen articles from Bulls fans who said his defense cratered once he was given a larger offensive role.  Honestly, I haven't watched enough of Butler to really have a major opinion one way or the other. I just know what I've read about him.
Do a google search and you'll see articles about why the Bulls want him gone and why the fans have turned on him.

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2016, 06:47:00 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Do a google search and you'll see articles about why the Bulls want him gone and why the fans have turned on him.

Forget the google search where fans talk nonsense. I'm sure you can google just about anything and find someone spewing it. Things like Hinkie's a genius and stuff like that is probably everywhere. However, for true discussion purposes in assessing Butler lets look at his accolades and age.

Age 26
14-15 Most Improved Player
2 Time NBA All-Star (14-15 and 15-16)
2 Time All Defensive Second Team (13-14 and 14-15)...This year's teams haven't been released yet
Has improved his scoring average every year of his NBA career 2.6 to 8.6 to 13.1 to 20.0 to 20.9

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2016, 06:50:07 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Trade

C- ?
PF-  KO
SF- Crowder

C-  Jerebko
PF- Mickey/Barstow
SF- ?
SG-  Smart
PG-  Rozier

yay or nay?

Nay and this makes no sense.  Jimmy Butler did not make the playoffs this year.  Isaiah Thomas did.  Why oh why on earth would trade IT and a Top-3 pick for him????

By this logic, half the league's players shouldn't be targeted in trade, even if Ainge buys low on them.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2016, 07:04:42 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Trade

C- ?
PF-  KO
SF- Crowder

C-  Jerebko
PF- Mickey/Barstow
SF- ?
SG-  Smart
PG-  Rozier

yay or nay?

By this logic, half the league's players shouldn't be targeted in trade, even if Ainge buys low on them.

Yeah.

Similarly, dismissing the idea because "both Butler and Isaiah are All-Stars" seems simplistic. All-Stars differ in their abilities.

I mean, a Bradley/IT backcourt is pretty good but has some serious flaws.

A Butler/Bradley backcourt is one of the best in the league on both ends of the floor.

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2016, 07:10:25 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
No.  That is overrating Butler.  We would have players to shift over that would make this make sense from a roster perspective but that's too much for Butler I think.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2016, 07:18:14 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
Trade

C- ?
PF-  KO
SF- Crowder

C-  Jerebko
PF- Mickey/Barstow
SF- ?
SG-  Smart
PG-  Rozier

yay or nay?

Jimmy Butler and the Bulls were clearly worse than Isaiah Thomas and the Celtics this year.  By your logic, we should react to these facts by trading Isaiah for Butler, throw in Amir Johnson to make salaries match...oh and for good measure give Chicago a top-3 pick.

I like my logic better.

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2016, 07:21:26 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
PG - Teague or Conley
SG - Jimmy Butler
SF - Jae Crowder

Then Smart + Bradley off the bench.

That would be a fantastic perimeter rotation. The defensive talent there is incredible. Two creators on the perimeter with Teague / Conley and Jimmy Butler. Butler can slide to the 3 with Bradley at the 2 to get more shooting on the floor.