Author Topic: We still need a point guard  (Read 10915 times)

Re: We still need a point guard
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2016, 02:04:14 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I'd like to see a player like Tyreke Evans man the point position (not suggesting we trade for Evans, although I wouldn't be opposed, but a 6 5 or 6 6 ball handler who can see the floor and create but isn't as 1 on 1 based as Turner) on offense.

Let a tall lengthy player man the offense, IT plays off the ball but on defense he can still guard the smaller point guard.

« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2016, 02:19:38 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
I never liked the Rondo hate, but I agree with Roy Hobbs that the ship has sailed. And for the same reason I don't want Rondo back is why I think it's time to say goodbye to Evan Turner. He kind of ball hogs, goes Mr. Hero route, pound the ball time. I don't want anyone but Isaiah and Rozier type pg's. They are fast and do not waste time waiting for something to open up. They shoot, dribble toward the rim, or pass it.

No on Rondo. I have nothing but great memories of him, but he doesn't fit into our team philosophy of run and pass.

Maybe Rondo and Antoine Walker are similar what if's. What if they had started their careers under different circumstances and coaches. Look at Sully. His big mistake was thinking he needed the weight to get minutes at center. No one had a problem with it until last year because we were so soft in the middle.

Instead of a Rondo, I wouldn't mind a Delonte West styled hybrid. Maybe that will become Marcus Smart. If Rozier can have a great off-season, he might be our backup pg.

Yes, we are stacked at guard.

We need a tall SG/SF or one on the roster to step forward.

We are all set at SF with Crowder.

Danny's work will be in how he trims and adds to PF/Center. I am not worried about our guards. I am not worried about Isaiah on defense. Rondo would not fix the problem of say Young and Hunter turning out very disappointing. We could have used Gigi Datome. We need a player that size. We need a backup SF. We probably need a starting center or a backup better than Zeller to go with Amir. I guess there is no way to not speculate when posting on this forum.

I am extremely happy with the team and where it is headed. It will be awful if we get burned and end up with a #6 pick. I think we are due this time. Maybe we will get a top two or at least keep the #3 position. The ping pong balls might be the most important part of this off-season. Unless we get Durant. At least in a long-term way. This place is going to go nuts if we get the #1 pick. Rondo will be the last person on anyone's mind.

« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2016, 02:22:13 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
We could also bring back Fab Melo but it wouldn't help the team.  This thread is trolling and a waste of time.

Oh just stop. I'm trolling to say the best assist guy in the league in and a very long time is available and we could have him (again) for not that much? If this is trolling the board has sunk.

There are a lot of great opinions shared here that disagree with me. And I've come around a little. I do get that the change for IT to play the 2 was because of injury/bad shooting. I do get that It is a good pg.

Rondo could be a luxary. I think the (i don't know what I can say here that won't get me a warning) fans can agree on that. But even if we do nothing else, and care about winning each season over picks, Rondo would have helped us. No matter the situation he will help us. The questions are 2: Can we afford him? and can we give him a big enough role to make it worth his time? There are a lot of scenarios where I think the answer to both is yes.

Let's talk winning aside. Lotto aside. Everything aside. Let's just talk about how much fun the games are to watch. Weren't they more fun with Rondo (yes aside from the half year when we absolutely sucked.) Remember the glee in Mike's voice as Rondo got close to 10 assists (he gave a running count for every single game) remember the playoffs? The showmanship? He was a ton of fun. I'm going to watch every game win or lose and Rondo makes this team so much more fun to watch. Hate away, but you got to give me that!

Toward the end I think watching Rondo run the team was tedious and boring. Watching the Spurs and Warriors is exciting. Watching the 2008 Celts was exciting. Watching Rondo pound the ball was not exciting. I guess I don't find empty triple doubles to be that exhilarating. (Rondo's teams are 4-8 in the last 12 games he has posted a triple-double, going back to his Celtics days. His stats used to mean something; now they're empty.)

Did you know that the Kings have a better offense with Darren Collison as opposed to Rondo? It's not even particularly close. Rondo gets lots of assists, but he doesn't improve his teams anymore.

The bolded it what kills me. You had to go look that up. You had to go look that up with an agenda. Did you type "rondo sucks" into google or is there a rondohate.com (not to be confused with celticsblog.com)?

If triple doubles were so "empty" why don't more people get them? How many did we get in the playoffs? In the regular season for that matter? I don't need to look it up, I know Rondo got more that our whole team this year. I get the criticism of guys who haven't won. If someone says, "DMC has great stats but he has never brought his team to .500" I can't really argue with that can I? But Rondo has a ring. He has gotten to the finals another time. He has averaged a triple double for a series. Were all those games "empty"?

Boogie makes his team better. I've cited those stats dozens of times. Rondo has made his last three teams worse. That's what I care about.  You seem to be ignoring that all of the Kings, Mavs and Celts were better with Rondo on the bench. Why do you think he'll reverse that trend?

And my "agenda" is pointing out that Rondo's run of empty stats means nothing, if his team is losing. But even then, it's not just the losing. It's the losing and making his team worse.

This thread has degenerated into yet another Rondo thread.  Sigh...  'Might as well throw a little fuel on the fire.

Using the sort of numbers you are using, Rondo apparently makes Boogie's team better.

Boogie w/o Rondo:  105.0 ORtg, 108.5 DRtg --> -3.5 Net Rating
Boogie w/Rondo:  108.5 ORtg, 106.3 DRtg --> +2.2 Net Rating
Rondo w/o Boogie:  101.4 ORtg, 116.8 DRtg --> -15.4 Net Rating
SAC w/o RR or Boogie:  107.6 ORtg, 108.3 DRtg --> -0.7 Net Rating

This sort of simplistic analysis suggests that Sacramento was +5.7 points per 100 possessions better  with DMC AND Rondo than with DMC without Rondo.

And of course, it was massively worse with Rondo and NO Boogie.   No surprise - the front courts for that configuration were primarily Koufos and Rudy.

But these results tend to suggest that the main problems on that team were neither DMC nor Rondo.

Unfortunately for Rondo's numbers, due to injuries and suspensions, he had to play a pretty large chunk of his minutes (30%) without DMC.

Numbers courtesy of:  http://nbawowy.com

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2016, 03:03:56 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I'd like to see a player like Tyreke Evans man the point position (not suggesting we trade for Evans, although I wouldn't be opposed, but a 6 5 or 6 6 ball handler who can see the floor and create but isn't as 1 on 1 based as Turner) on offense.

Let a tall lengthy player man the offense, IT plays off the ball but on defense he can still guard the smaller point guard.

Evans is mediocre at best.  Wanting Evans is kind of like signing Robert Sacre because you think the team needs a legit seven-footer.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2016, 03:39:31 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Boston's best player and only all star is a PG.   I dispute heavily the premise that Boston needs a PG.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip