Author Topic: We still need a point guard  (Read 10914 times)

Re: We still need a point guard
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2016, 01:57:14 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
We need a big man who can rebound/protect rim/score. Then we need a wing/SF who can score and play decent D. If you can get two all-star/superstar players in those categories, then we should be good with an okay PG.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2016, 01:57:28 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
For the record - our PG isn't the issue.

If AB wasn't hurt we would've had a good shot at beating ATL.

IT has improved, I believe, at PG and I think he'll have the position locked up for next few years.

You may be right, I hope you are. But it seems in the playoffs teams can shut down IT easier when they can put all their focus on it. It's a double hit when your scorer is also your facilitator. I guess the easy answer could be that once we have more talent that IT will be the 3rd option and will be left alone more so he can still facilitate.

My point is say hypothetically we are getting one of KD, Melo or Derozen and one of DMC, Howard, or Whiteside and we have the money left over to also get Rondo. Why not? He would make KD or Melo even better.

Good points.

I believe that if Danny can net ANY star from that list you gave will make IT and the rest of this team MUCH better.

Even if AB was present I think that would've been enough to put us closer to beating ATL or even nudged us over the top.

From what I saw we simply didn't have enough offense.

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2016, 02:02:31 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Look, I know I have some on here that dislike - even hate me. That's ok.

I'm a Big Boy.

I never joined CelticsBlog to make friends or join Cliques but to talk and learn Basketball with like-minded people.

ANY player that has busted his behind in Green, left it on the floor (literally) played his role AND stepped up BIG TIME in many cases - they have a place in my heart sports-wise - forever.

Rajon Rondo excited MANY of us on here. I won't ever summarily dismiss him.

I completely agree. Rondo deserves a ton of respect for who he was while he was in the Celtics. He is one of my all time favorite players, and his jersey remains the only jersey I own

That being said, he's just not the right guy for this team. I love rondo, but I wouldn't be in any rush to bring him back to Boston. Maybe if he wants he can be an assistant for us in the future, but not really liking the idea of him as a player on this team we have.

I agree.

The way the team is configured right now is not conducive to Rondo being here.

And from what I've seen here lately? I don't believe he'd be welcome here TBH.

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2016, 02:06:53 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

IT has improved, I believe, at PG and I think he'll have the position locked up for next few years.

You may be right, I hope you are. But it seems in the playoffs teams can shut down IT easier when they can put all their focus on it. It's a double hit when your scorer is also your facilitator. I guess the easy answer could be that once we have more talent that IT will be the 3rd option and will be left alone more so he can still facilitate.

My point is say hypothetically we are getting one of KD, Melo or Derozen and one of DMC, Howard, or Whiteside and we have the money left over to also get Rondo. Why not? He would make KD or Melo even better.

The bolded part does not mean IT is not doing his job properly.

If anything we were lucky to have IT, without him we would have been massacred in this series.

Moreover, going from this to saying that we need to replace IT with Rondo is very questionable reasoning. First it's not going to happen. It's just crazy to bring back RR after IT becoming an All Star and having a fantastic season. Second, Rondo needs to be surrounded by good scorers... there is no one at Boston who fits the bill. I expect RR to go to one of NBA's lesser teams: most playoff teams already have PGs, elite ones for that matter. NYK, Philly, another contract in SAC look like plausible scenarios.

« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2016, 02:22:05 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123

If anything we were lucky to have IT, without him we would have been massacred in this series.

Moreover, going from this to saying that we need to replace IT with Rondo is very questionable reasoning. First it's not going to happen. It's just crazy to bring back RR after IT becoming an All Star and having a fantastic season. Second, Rondo needs to be surrounded by good scorers... there is no one at Boston who fits the bill. I expect RR to go to one of NBA's lesser teams: most playoff teams already have PGs, elite ones for that matter. NYK, Philly, another contract in SAC look like plausible scenarios.

I'm not saying we replace IT with Rondo. I'm saying we just add Rondo. .

I hear a lot of comments about how Rondo is no good for THIS team. Well, after the summer we won't have THIS team, we will have THAT team. If THAT team has a star or 2 why not bring in Rondo.

Also, to whomever said, he wouldn't be welcome here, what have you seen that you are basing that on?

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2016, 02:25:36 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

I hear a lot of comments about how Rondo is no good for THIS team. Well, after the summer we won't have THIS team, we will have THAT team. If THAT team has a star or 2 why not bring in Rondo.

Also, to whomever said, he wouldn't be welcome here, what have you seen that you are basing that on?

Don't think Rondo's ego could take backing up IT .

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2016, 02:36:02 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

Jackie McMullin has had some disparaging comments about Rondo. She's a writer and sometimes an analyst/commentator on ESPN. I respect her work a lot though.

If unfortunately she is NOT on your side then that isn't good.

Many of the posters dislike and don't want him here as well. Celticblog wouldn't write his paychecks but IMO he'd be under too fine a microscope right now.

This team is not "currently" configured for Rondo. BUT - as you stated - if we remade ENTIRE team then perhaps it could work.

After all - we were a KLove away from Rondo staying here. KLove stated that BOS was his 2nd choice. If Danny could've persuaded KLove then Rondo would have had his 2nd star and maybe Jeff Green would've stayed......

That's all in the past, now.

TBH I'd rather keep my fond memories of him with KG, Ray and PP and let him continue to find his own way, outside of BOS. He seems healthy and happier now and I'm sure some team will pick him up. Or, he may stay in SAC.

Whatever happens with him I wish him the best.

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2016, 02:39:49 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
Well CBS would figure out the rotations. But, to bring Rondo back to make any sense he would have to be ok with possibly coming off the bench if thats what Stevens decided. I'm not saying Ainge should give the team over to Rondo. I'm saying if a lot of things can all go the right way it might make sense.

But for the rotations, if we got a star at the 4 and or 5 who could score we might want to move IT back to the bench anyway. We might also want to move IT to the 2. Maybe start RR and IT and then 5 o 6 minutes in take out one depending on the matchup. We might also trade IT to get help at the 4 or 5. So many unknowns. Having RR back would let us trade one of the other guys and not be short handed. IT for Melo or Smart for DMC, these make a lot more sense if you know you have RR coming back. Unless you think he is terrible, selfish and doesn't play D. Then I guess it wouldn't make sense for you.

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2016, 02:41:26 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I see the tradition of the "Bring back _______(fill in blank with former Celtic player)!!!" thread is alive and well and still going on at Celticsblog! :)

« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2016, 02:48:17 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

Thank you for the clarification. Nothing wrong with adding a good player, esp. if he agrees on a reasonable contract.

Just to be clear, my issue here is not so much Rondo, as adding another guard. We've got IT, Rozier, AB and Smart. Crowder can also play the 2. And we also have James Young and JR Hunter. That's a lot. Sure, we can trade some of them, or work out the rotations; but guards were hardly our problem this season. The Celtics are near-elite when it comes to guards.

Now, if two stars are added to the roster, and one of them really wants to play with Rondo, sure, why not, we should go ahead.

« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2016, 02:50:36 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Well CBS would figure out the rotations. But, to bring Rondo back to make any sense he would have to be ok with possibly coming off the bench if thats what Stevens decided. I'm not saying Ainge should give the team over to Rondo. I'm saying if a lot of things can all go the right way it might make sense.

But for the rotations, if we got a star at the 4 and or 5 who could score we might want to move IT back to the bench anyway. We might also want to move IT to the 2. Maybe start RR and IT and then 5 o 6 minutes in take out one depending on the matchup. We might also trade IT to get help at the 4 or 5. So many unknowns. Having RR back would let us trade one of the other guys and not be short handed. IT for Melo or Smart for DMC, these make a lot more sense if you know you have RR coming back. Unless you think he is terrible, selfish and doesn't play D. Then I guess it wouldn't make sense for you.

At this point I wouldn't want to trade IT.

He is definitely a keeper.

This is his team right now.

I simply don't see a need for Rondo here unless Danny decided to blow us all away with a Mega Trade and we have to reshape ENTIRE roster.

« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2016, 03:12:17 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
What got me thinking about bringing Rondo back was I was reading and article on CBS and how everyone loves him. It had a RR quote about how he wishes he played for CBS longer. Obviously Dallas was a disaster so maybe he only meant that he wished to avoid that, but I bet he meant more. I could see how Rondo and Doc would clash, too similar. But CBS is too laid back for me to think he really doesn't get along with some people. I had kind of assumed that RR must have left on some bad terms becasue of all the negative comments you read on here. But I think t was just about money. He wanted max, we didn't want to give it to him and so he was moved. But no one is talking about max money for him now (the max for him has gone up a lot too.) He made 10 mil this year. He will probably get a little more next year but when you factor in the cap going up he will probably make less of a percent of the cap. So it's not huge money.

If he doesn't come home, I don't know what I hope for him. I want to be able to watch him at his best again, passing to superstars. Teams I've heard mentioned most of them suck, Kings, Knicks and Lakers. Maybe the Rockets would make sense.

I read another article about how Melo really wants him. He said that he heard RR say that the triangle would be bad for him and he wanted to tell RR it would be good. Melo is someone I could see us going for if we can't do better. If the Knicks can't get him help, at some point they might think getting out of his contract and outright tanking might be a better option. Rondo has got ties to DMC as well. DMC said if Rondo didn't resign in Sac he would kidnap him. Maybe we could get all 3 here?

« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2016, 03:22:06 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I see the tradition of the "Bring back _______(fill in blank with former Celtic player)!!!" thread is alive and well and still going on at Celticsblog!

Also, suggesting a guy we don't need is alive and kicking.

« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2016, 04:30:56 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Isaiah at the 2 was a desperate adjustment because our spacing was so poor with Turner or Smart playing off-ball. He played PG all season, and that's because he is a PG.

« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2016, 03:18:10 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
Isaiah at the 2 was a desperate adjustment because our spacing was so poor with Turner or Smart playing off-ball. He played PG all season, and that's because he is a PG.

Do you think going forward, after he made the allstar team we can't bring him back to 6th man? That very well may be the case, but his best role on a contender is probably sparkplug off the bench. Like we always hoped Nate Robinson would have been for us years ago.