Author Topic: We still need a point guard  (Read 10970 times)

We still need a point guard
« on: April 30, 2016, 10:57:51 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
During the playoffs we ended up putting IT at the 2 so he could score more and Turner basically was the 1 on O. Sure AB was out, but the problem of not having a real 1 is still there. I know I'll get a lot of rolly eye smily faces and one liners, but wouldn't Rondo solve this problem and be easy to get?

He just averages 12 points and 12 assists this year, shot a career high 37% from 3 and had 2 steals a game. 

He did recently say he liked Stevens and wished he had played for him longer.

He would have helped us against the Hawks.

I know the criticism against him (besides shooting) is that he needs to have stars with him. But maybe signing him would make it easier to bring in stars. However things shake out the team he could join next year would be a lot better than the one he was traded from.

The guard spot is a little packed (especially if you like Rozier and Hunter) but it could work as RR would be the only true point guard (maybe Rozier) and it would make at a lot easier to moe Smart, AB or IT in a trade for a star.

I would only be interested if, he really wanted it, he didn't leave on any bad terms and it was a good deal. But those things could all be ok and he could be an easy upgrade while we try for KD or DMC or Butler.

I know this idea won't be popular, so tell me, would you go for another guard or do you think we are ok as is?

Re: We still need a point guard
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 11:07:33 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Nope. Not interested in bringing Rondo back.

There's a good chance the Celts draft one of Murray, hield, or Dunn. So that would provide a long term answer to this issue. There's also Smart and Rozier.

But really, I think Isaiah is all the point guard we need for now. Ideally we would have a better playmaker and shooter to put next to him in the backcourt, though.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 11:09:11 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
During the playoffs we ended up putting IT at the 2 so he could score more and Turner basically was the 1 on O. Sure AB was out, but the problem of not having a real 1 is still there. I know I'll get a lot of rolly eye smily faces and one liners, but wouldn't Rondo solve this problem and be easy to get?

He just averages 12 points and 12 assists this year, shot a career high 37% from 3 and had 2 steals a game. 

I know the criticism against him (besides shooting) is that he needs to have stars with him. But maybe signing him would make it easier to bring in stars. However things shake out the team he could join next year would be a lot better than the one he was traded from.

The guard spot is a little packed (especially if you like Rozier and Hunter) but it could work as RR would be the only true point guard (maybe Rozier) and it would make at a lot easier to moe Smart, AB or IT in a trade for a star.

I would only be interested if, he really wanted it, he didn't leave on any bad terms and it was a good deal. But those things could all be ok and he could be an easy upgrade while we try for KD or DMC or Butler.

I know this idea won't be popular, so tell me, would you go for another guard or do you think we are ok as is?

Incorrect. Turner was on the ball because he's ineffective off the ball. That said, compared to Rondo, Turner looks like a marksman.

Bringing back Rondo is a horrible idea on so many levels.

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 11:19:18 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
No way will be bring back Rondo.   This is borderline delusional.   Other teams do not have to play him honest.  He has admitted to dogging it on D.

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 11:19:22 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Incorrect. Turner was on the ball because he's ineffective off the ball. That said, compared to Rondo, Turner looks like a marksman.

Bringing back Rondo is a horrible idea on so many levels.

Bringing back the No D King of the Ball-Stoppers may be the only idea that's worse than wasting a top 5 pick on that stiff Bender.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 11:28:11 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
No way will be bring back Rondo.   This is borderline delusional.   Other teams do not have to play him honest.  He has admitted to dogging it on D.

No he didn't. A quote from him was taken out of context to make it look like he was saying he doesn't play D. He was saying in Boston he had AB to play the better guard, so in Dallas it was the first time in years that he had to do that. It's really silly how often one out of context quote gets thrown around. I mean, why would any player upon going to a new team say "I haven't played Defense in years" (Ok, Dan Marley on the Heat said basically that years ago but he was really plagued with injuries.)

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 11:37:20 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton

compared to Rondo, Turner looks like a marksman.

Really? they both shot 45% this year. But Rondo hit 37% from 3 while Turner shot 24%.

I'm not saying we bring Rondo back because he is a great shooter. There are many other reasons. But to say that Turner is a marksman compared to Rondo is just silly. I like Turner fine, but his 3 point shooting was terrible this year. I'm frankly surprised it was even 24% because it felt much lower watching the games.

We could upgrade Turner into Rondo if we wanted. We probably won't spend all the money we have anyways. Rondo is better in just about every category except ft shooting. D, rebounding, 3point shooting, passing, leadership, getting triple doubles, taking over games, roller skating, exc.

And it's not an either or, we could have both.

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 11:44:15 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I agree we could use another ball handler and distributor.

Not Rondo, though. His defense is horrific, he's a poor shooter, and he pounds the ball. Sacramento was better with Rondo on the bench, just like Dallas, just like Boston. He no longer is a winning player.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 11:48:17 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Not Rondo, though. His defense is horrific, he's a poor shooter, and he pounds the ball. Sacramento was better with Rondo on the bench, just like Dallas, just like Boston. He no longer is a winning player.

Can you provide stats or other credible evidence to support your claims, here?

Seems like such a sweeping condemnation of a player you once appreciated on here.

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 12:07:50 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
If Turner became a 36% three-point shooter, I would have little problem overpaying some for him.

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2016, 12:16:27 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
The only reason Isaiah was off the ball was because we have no other competent offensive players/shooters, and so the Hawks could very easily double and triple team him.

Give Isaiah some shooters or another scorer, and he's just fine handling the ball and being a point guard.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2016, 12:24:34 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Can you provide stats or other credible evidence to support your claims, here?

Seems like such a sweeping condemnation of a player you once appreciated on here.

Sure. The Kings were 1.2 points per 100 possessions better with Rondo off the court in Sacramento. The defense in particular was better when Rondo sat.

There were similar results in Boston. The offense was about equal regardless of whether Rondo played, but the defense was much worse (by 2.9 points / 100 possessions).  In Dallas, the Mavs were 6.5 points / 100 possessions worse with Rondo!

That's three franchises, all seeing the same thing: playing Rondo had a significantly negative impact on their team.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2016, 12:25:20 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
First priority is getting a forward who can score on a regular basis.

Second is a big.

Getting another PG with this roster (and all these draft picks) is a luxury  ;D

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2016, 12:25:41 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I have to agree with others - loved Rondo when he was here, but probably wouldn't work in our system. The only reason Turner does is because of his ability to create a shot out of thin air and his willingness to play D.

IT is a fine PG and Smart is a great backcourt mate for him as he is a very good passer, allows IT to play off-ball when needed and can cover for any defensive deficiencies.

In our offense, it is more important that everybody can do a little playmaking rather than one guy running the show.

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2016, 12:41:32 PM »

Online Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437

compared to Rondo, Turner looks like a marksman.

Really? they both shot 45% this year. But Rondo hit 37% from 3 while Turner shot 24%.

I'm not saying we bring Rondo back because he is a great shooter. There are many other reasons. But to say that Turner is a marksman compared to Rondo is just silly. I like Turner fine, but his 3 point shooting was terrible this year. I'm frankly surprised it was even 24% because it felt much lower watching the games.

We could upgrade Turner into Rondo if we wanted. We probably won't spend all the money we have anyways. Rondo is better in just about every category except ft shooting. D, rebounding, 3point shooting, passing, leadership, getting triple doubles, taking over games, roller skating, exc.

And it's not an either or, we could have both.

Look deeper than just Fg% and 3pt%. Turner is a MUCH better midrange shooter than Rondo, you might as well leave Rondo open inside the line.

10-16 ft: Rondo- 30.6%  Turner- 42.7%
16ft- 3p: Rondo- 33.8%  Turner- 39.1%

Not to mention Rondo takes a lot more shots around the rim than Turner (34.4% of attempts vs 26.3% for Turner) and still shoots slightly worse than Turner.

So yes, Turner is the better shooter. Even with this year being an anomaly for Rondo (he's never shot over 31.4% from downtown) he's still a poor shooter. And when he regresses back to the mean, it will get even worse.

2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler