Author Topic: Looking at the money going forward  (Read 840 times)

Looking at the money going forward
« on: April 30, 2016, 08:04:35 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
I'm no cap expert so please let me know any mistakes I'm making. I just want to take a look at the money for next year and what that will mean for this summer. I first real question is, how much can we spend next year. A number I have read a lot of 108 million as the top end of the luxury tax and 92 million as the salary cap.

Keepers salary next season:

Avery Bradley   $8,269,663      
Isaiah Thomas   $6,587,132      
Jae Crowder   $6,286,408         
Marcus Smart   $3,578,880                                 
Kelly Olynyk   $3,094,014   
Terry Rozier   $1,906,440   
James Young   $1,825,200                  
Jordan Mickey   $1,223,653      
R.J. Hunter   $1,200,240   

rough math, thats about 35 million we have locked up. If we opt to keep Amir and his 12 mil for next year that is 47 mil.

Guys to resign?:

Jerebko and Turner were both pretty cheap for us this year 3.4 mil for Turner and 5 for Jerebko. I would think if we wanted both back we could do it for 10 mil total.

Cap holds: Hard to say as we don't know what picks we will have and it is fairly likely there will be trades made. The number 1 pick is about 5 mil for the first year and the number 30 is about 1 mil. So we are looking at maybe 7 mil in salary here.

So how much can guys get paid? It looks like if you are over 7 years in the league you can get 30% of the cap- so like 28 mil. I can't find a number for younger vets, but i think something like 22 million I have heard before.

So.... even with these crazy high numbers we have a lot of options to bring in multiple players this summer.  If we just let everyone go and only keep guys we already have signed and picks, we are looking at (108-35-7=66) 66 million we could possible spend. 66 million when we would already have 12 guys on our roster (we could stash picks or trade them for future picks and have even more money.)

Basically we could say to KD, we want you and any other player you want, and probably any 2 players you want.

2 questions:

1. If we were going to spend as much as we could, what is your dream scenario?

2. Is it wise to spend as much as we can. The cap will go up again next summer but then it goes back down so we could be left in cap hell with old guys on crazy contracts.

Re: Looking at the money going forward
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 09:09:54 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
TP for the topic, I was wondering the same thing.

One article I read recently cited that the Celtics had "potentially, with the right moves, up to $33million in cap space this summer."  But I don't see how they don't potentially have much higher?  Perhaps articles aren't factoring in the jump in the cap space because we don't know where it'll land yet?  I'd be VERY interested if anyone could provide an accurate and detailed look into this. 

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 10:23:59 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
They might get that 33 number buy keeping Amir, Jerebko, Sully and Zeller. Thats like 24 million right there. But I heard we declined the options on Sully and Zeller already.

Does anyone know when we have to decide on the options of Amir and Jerebko? I like both guys. Can we hold off on picking up their options until we see who signs where and what trades are available?

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 10:31:26 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 10:41:35 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
http://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-celtics/cap/2016/

That list shows the cap holds for Sully and Zeller but not for picks (which it can't know yet) so we will have more room than listed there.

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 11:17:55 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I would like to see that cap hold of $6,542,438 for Zeller and $5,673,150 for Sully used on a better player. 

What kind of big man could we get for 12 million a year?

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 11:21:13 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
we can spend any amount we want really for any guys we bring in by trades becasue we will be so far under the cap.

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 11:22:52 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I would like to see that cap hold of $6,542,438 for Zeller and $5,673,150 for Sully used on a better player. 

What kind of big man could we get for 12 million a year?
yes but if you lose the cap hold you lose restricted free agent rights, which I can't see Boston doing unless they absolutely have to.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 01:27:57 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
If we don't want Zeller or Sully here what does it matter? I don't think there is any offer that Sully could sign elsewhere that I would want to match. For Zeller, I guess a minimum or close to it deal I would take, but I think we like him enough to tell him to go somewhere that will use him more.

Am I missing something? We don't need their salary for any trades because we don't have to match salary because we are under the cap, right?