Author Topic: The NBA its stupid  (Read 2523 times)

The NBA its stupid
« on: April 30, 2016, 07:00:50 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
to quote the great Tom Heinsohn.  I will be somewhat unimpressed if we have been building this the last several years to be a first round exit only to land a couple top players via trade or free agents or whatever. We did it with KG and Ray, but If DA could draft a superstar that would be impressive to me or build a dynasty like Red used to do.  We have cap space for two max players.  We have picks. Are we just waiting for those 2 guys to come through that door at this point?

I guess Durant would get it done with our team.  He hasn't in OKC playing alongside Westbrook though.  We are a better organization etc....  I still  wish we'd do something different in ways.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 07:08:07 AM by walker834 »

Re: The NBA its stupid
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 07:08:32 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Thing is I was all for KG last time.  We ended up with the 5th pick and it was time to trade it.    Had we gotten the top pick and Durant would we have though?

So now we are trading it for Durant in hopes that he'll even come here over a guy like Simmons if we are in that position?

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 07:26:49 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
You'll be disappointed if we land a couple of big name guys via free agency or trades?

Building via the draft is overrated. Teams need to acquire talent however they can. To me, one way isn't more satisfying than the other.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 07:38:40 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I get it's more difficult to build around young stars today.  By the time they get good they already have left. Players are not as developed coming out of college etc.  I'm just saying is somehow it's been determined that the best way to a championship is to find 2 semi prime stars to go with our guy.  Just the state of the nba or whatever. Yeah i'll be a bit disapointed.  Whatever happened to the larry birds of the world and tim duncan and guys like that?  It just shows how bad the nba is in ways.

If that's the best way it really doesn't matter what we are doing now. We are basically just waiting and positioning ourselves to do that.

I'm not saying Ainge is stupid. He has somehow determined that is the best way.  It doesn't say much for the NBA though.

I get building through the draft is overrated.  I've been saying the same stuff for years but you used to be able to build that way.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 07:46:00 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 07:49:55 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
We got one ring.  Kobe got more than one and played his entire career as a laker. Lebron bailed on cleveland and has come back. There are only so many players like that.  KG was basically wasting away in Minny.  Durant is kind of the same thing.

I'd be more impressed if Ainge could draft someone and  build around that player and actually keep them is what I'm saying by winning with them vs doing that with other stars from around the league.

Again it's the tom brady in me.  That stuff is impressive.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 07:57:54 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 07:54:07 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
We got one ring.  Kobe got more than one and played his entire career as a laker. Lebron bailed on cleveland and has come back. There are only so many players like that.  KG was basically wasting away in Minny.  Durant is kind of the same thing.

I'd be more impressed if Ainge could draft someone and  build around that player and actually keep them is what I'm saying by winning with them vs doing that with other stars from around the league.

Paul Pierce?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 07:58:40 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
YEah paul pierce playing his entire career here impresses me. That stuff is great.  Tom Brady. That's impressive.

Hired guns is good but not as impressive.

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 08:04:56 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Even Paul got traded though.  But the idea was to build a championship team around him which we did and made it that much more special.

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 09:31:56 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
You'll be disappointed if we land a couple of big name guys via free agency or trades?

Building via the draft is overrated. Teams need to acquire talent however they can. To me, one way isn't more satisfying than the other.

I can see building through the draft or developing lesser valued players through trade as having more sentimental value, but no less satisfaction when the Larry O'Brien trophy is being hoisted and tithe champagne is flowing.
Yup

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 09:48:21 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Winning is winning whether it comes from a home grown or a trade.  It also fixes everything if you win a championship.   People do not if we traded for a player, or drafted them.

This post thread is sentimental drivel which the OP is allowed to post and a right to offer his opinion.   However, it is also the right of expose to express their opinions.

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2016, 09:54:37 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
IT has nothing to do with being sentimental.  Ainge has us set up both ways.  That's just smart. Which way is better has nothing to do with being sentimental either.  There are arguments that can be made that doing things the way I'm talking about is actually better. 

Teams that have had  long runs and built dynasties usually have drafted well in some regard.  I agree that in todays nba the way it is with how young some of these kids are that's difficult to do. That's just reality.

I never said it was easy to do that but historically speaking most dynasties were built that way.

It's all about finding the best way to me. If other people want to express their closemindedness that's fine though.

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2016, 10:02:04 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Winning is winning whether it comes from a home grown or a trade.  It also fixes everything if you win a championship.   People do not if we traded for a player, or drafted them.

This post thread is sentimental drivel which the OP is allowed to post and a right to offer his opinion.   However, it is also the right of expose to express their opinions.

What I'm saying is you are being exposed as a closeminded idiot because what I actually said and was saying was not how you took it at all.

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2016, 10:04:21 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

Building via the draft is absolutely not overrated.  All the great teams did it to some degree.  Doesn't mean that it's the only way, but it's a major way.

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2016, 10:08:53 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
With the way the league is set up right now with Lebron making a case for the draft makes a lot of sense.  GEtting Durant isn't necessarily going to beat Lebron.   We got one last time with KG but Kobe still got more.  Lebron has about a 5 year window left where we could develop someone. 

I agree with Ainge that his theory is getting a guy like KG when he missed on Durant and is now trying to get Durant in his prime vs developing him and losing him.  That's his line of thinking most likely.   But what's the difference if we can keep  him.

We had KG, we now try to get Durant and try to beat Lebron with him much like we did with Kobe.  But it's still not better than drafting our own guy in ways if we can keep him.

Is Durant, Butler and Isaiah better than what we had in Pierce, KG and Ray?  I don't think that is. Maybe Boogie.

There are two sides of the fence here.  Two ways we can go.  We are doing an awful lot in hopes we can beat Lebron in the next 5 years.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 10:14:41 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2016, 10:13:19 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

Those are good points. Not that there is anything wrong with building through the draft, but to get those superstar players in the draft is hard, and rare. If it would be easier to trade for them, then you go do that.