Author Topic: Interesting Observation - Billups Said He'd Like to See Durant in Boston  (Read 3246 times)

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
I was watching NBA Tonight just now, and they were discussing the possibility of Durant going to the Lakers now that Luke Walton is coach. Of course, they all dismissed that notion since they're nowhere near competing, but Chauncey Billups did say something interesting. He said though he is favorable toward Durant's situation in OKC, he'd like to see Durant in Boston who is "ready-made" to compete for a title with Durant. He also said in passing that Washington might be a good place, too, but he mentioned us first and seemed most confident about Boston being an attractive place if Durant were to move.

With national media saying this stuff, I really do think that we're the number one suitor for Durant should he leave OKC. Even if it comes at the expense of a 1-1 deal with the second year a player's choice for him to opt out for more money in 2017, I think we're as attractive as any other team outside of OKC for Durant this summer, should they ultimately not advance to the Finals that is.

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Billups has always wanted to be the guy for the C's. He still has a lot of respect for the organization.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
yup

Hopefully OKC doesn't win the title.

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740
wasn't Billups the one who convinced KG to leave Minny and come to Boston?

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
This Spurs series is huge. If OKC wins I assume they'd win the title
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
yup

Hopefully OKC doesn't win the title.

I have a hard time seeing them get past the Spurs. Hopefully a six-game or less second-round series loss will prompt Durant to leave.

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
This Spurs series is huge. If OKC wins I assume they'd win the title

I'm rooting for a sweep (by the Spurs). I think it'd be hard for Durant to return if OKC is utterly outclassed by a team that is probably only the second best in the West.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
OKC at full strength has traditionally been a pretty bad matchup for Spurs so I wouldn't dismiss them out of hand. Sometimes the Spurs just can't hang with the sheer athleticism.

Great words from a great man

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Go spurs!!!
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
Durant is the player I would most like us to get - I am guessing I am not the only one thinking that. From what I have seen and read and what others have suggested, Boston is the most likely destination if OKC fail to make or win the finals. it leaves me wondering who else DA would need to lure to Boston to help attract Durant if OKC falls short. A good draft result (top two) may help, a big like Cousins or someone unexpected like Chris Paul?

The only certainty is that there is no certainty.

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
OKC at full strength has traditionally been a pretty bad matchup for Spurs so I wouldn't dismiss them out of hand. Sometimes the Spurs just can't hang with the sheer athleticism.

Yeak well The Spurs didn't have Lamarcus Aldridge back then either, and Kawai is at the top of his Game. Spurs in 6.

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Spurs in 4  ;D

More seriously, we offer lots of things worth considering for a player like Durant:

we play in the EC

we have a good core of young players

a good franchise, front office and coaching team

KD will become the undisputed leader once he joins

Also, if Durant joins GSW or any other established contender he will be seen as going for the ring similarly to what KMalone did with LAL; joining a team like the C's makes for a better news story.

However, even assuming the C's have the edge over other teams (if he decides to leave),this edge is small if we consider that half the league can be seen as legitimate suitors.

Another scenario to consider is what happens if KD signs a one year deal with OKC, after which he is almost certainly done with that franchise; what would worry me in that case is that he would probably want Westbrook to come with him (replicating the coaching nightmare that is the present OKC).

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
I also would really like to see Durant sign with the Celtics. ::)

I have a hard time accepting the premise that the Celtics are ready made to compete for a title after they add Durant. That would mean that IT is better than Westbrook? Our bigs are better than Ibaka? Our bench might be better that theirs but come on now. :o

I do think that Durant has a pretty good idea what he wants but these playoffs will make his final decision. The Thunder just arent going to be enough unless they get to the WCF and compete down to the wire. Then they will be just a player upgrade away from a title contender. No need to leave Oklahoma then.  >:(
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

Offline BadNewsBarnes

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 41
Billups is right; this is a good situation for Durant. 

The added bonus of signing him is he doesn't require us to use any of our assets.  Danny can then go out and add someone else.  Who's that guy - Horford, Butler, Cousins? 

As a side note on Durant I always suspected but never heard it confirmed that Danny would have picked him over Oden in the draft.  A no brainer now but back then Oden was very highly regarded.

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

I have a hard time accepting the premise that the Celtics are ready made to compete for a title after they add Durant. That would mean that IT is better than Westbrook? Our bigs are better than Ibaka? Our bench might be better that theirs but come on now. :o

Our roster throughout has a lot better players on it, after OKC's top ones IMO.  Not a fan of a lot of their guys.  We have a lot of guys who would fit perfect next to Durant and love to let him shoot too (and pass to him to set him up).  And that defend really well.  Our team is begging for a capable guy to come in and shoot a lot of shots.

Plus Eastern Conference.  It's been said for years players should go East to not have to fight through the same top teams over and over again but most haven't listened.  Which I think is crazy.  Maybe getting bounced by the Spurs again would make Durant think.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford