Would you sign Whiteside to a Max Deal

Yes
27 (25.2%)
No
70 (65.4%)
Tommy Heinson loves painting.
10 (9.3%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Author Topic: Poll: Sign Whiteside to a Max Contact  (Read 8511 times)

Re: Poll: Sign Whiteside to a Max Contact
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2016, 03:47:37 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Whiteside seems like the sort of guy who will have ego problems.  I can see him pouting that he should be given a bigger role on offense since he has a big contract.  I can see him pouting when Stevens sits him on the bench in the fourth quarter of a close game in favor of putting a smaller lineup with more shooting on the floor.

A better (and cheaper) fit for the Celtics might be someone like Zaza Pachulia, a paint protector who is supposedly a good defender against the pick and roll and is a willing passer.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2016, 04:38:48 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
I have rarely ever seen "us" be so hard on an NBA player in my life!!!  Most everyone knows that it take big men LONGER to develop and shock or all shocks, it took Hassan longer as well.

I will side with Bob Cousy on Whiteside:

http://www.telegram.com/article/20150325/NEWS/303269899

We would be crazy to NOT offer him the max!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2016, 04:59:56 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I have rarely ever seen "us" be so hard on an NBA player in my life!!!  Most everyone knows that it take big men LONGER to develop and shock or all shocks, it took Hassan longer as well.

I will side with Bob Cousy on Whiteside:

http://www.telegram.com/article/20150325/NEWS/303269899

We would be crazy to NOT offer him the max!!!

Smitty77

I beg to differ.

The headline for that linked story could have stopped after "Bob Cousy high."

Say no to Whiteside. No more non-shooters. Period.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2016, 06:28:26 PM »

Offline outflip50

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
I'd like Danny to stay far, far away.

But Cousins isn't a problem? Not saying Whiteside isn't somewhat of a gamble, but Cousins is just as much or more. Not to mention we'd have to give up assets to acquire Cousins.

I don't think that anyone believes that Cousins doesn't have some head problems

The difference between the 2 headcases,1 is 2 years at 15 per, the other is 4 years at 22 per, which carries the lower risk?

« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2016, 07:16:02 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

The difference is this, Exhibit HW, or headcase #1 will cost us lots of caproom and that's all.

Exhibit DMC will cost us Smart, Kelly and Two or three Nets Picks, plus 13 million per year.

No question DMC is better, but I would argue Hassan comes cheaper.

« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2016, 07:20:33 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
Whiteside seems like the sort of guy who will have ego problems.  I can see him pouting that he should be given a bigger role on offense since he has a big contract.  I can see him pouting when Stevens sits him on the bench in the fourth quarter of a close game in favor of putting a smaller lineup with more shooting on the floor.

A better (and cheaper) fit for the Celtics might be someone like Zaza Pachulia, a paint protector who is supposedly a good defender against the pick and roll and is a willing passer.

I can also seen him being extremely happy to be making 100 million dollars. I could also see Brad playing him at the end of games with four shooters or the best 4 guys we have.

I could also see him improving on offense, with Stevens putting him in position to score, because Coach won't put him in many passing situations, if we give it to him it will be to score 90% of his touches.

« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2016, 07:26:01 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

The difference is this, Exhibit HW, or headcase #1 will cost us lots of caproom and that's all.

Exhibit DMC will cost us Smart, Kelly and Two or three Nets Picks, plus 13 million per year.

Who is giving up Smart and three Brooklyn picks for Cousins? That seems like a straw man.

Also, don't forget to factor in the additional $10 million player we can sign if we acquired the cheaper DMC and shed some salary in the trade.

And, Cousins is much, much better than Whiteside.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2016, 07:45:16 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Who is giving up Smart and three Brooklyn picks for Cousins? That seems like a straw man.

Also, don't forget to factor in the additional $10 million player we can sign if we acquired the cheaper DMC and shed some salary in the trade.

Maybe, but how Cousins fits with other Celtics targets makes it less cut and dried that you suggest. If Ainge truly does covet Durant, do you buy that KD would want to play with DMC?

I'm not even talking about Demarcus' immaturity. I question whether his ball dominance fits with another star (tho I admit I have no stats to back it up). And I'd rather have Durant / Whiteside / the assets we'd keep by not trading for DMC than Cousins.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2016, 07:49:12 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

It's Smart and Two Brooklyn picks Minimum for DMC.

I've thought about if Durant would want to play with The Man Child Baby. I don't know, but Danny could pitch to try it for two years and if it's not working flip Cousins for another star.

« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2016, 08:10:11 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I'd like Danny to stay far, far away.

But Cousins isn't a problem? Not saying Whiteside isn't somewhat of a gamble, but Cousins is just as much or more. Not to mention we'd have to give up assets to acquire Cousins.

Sure, he has his issues, but Cousins is one of the ten best basketball players in the world, an MVP candidate on a functional team. Frankly, I'm not sure Whiteside is even a net positive.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2016, 10:55:10 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Maybe no one is giving up Smart plus three Nets picks for Cousins, but that is a believable asking price.  You have previously said that you would probably give up all three Nets picks for Cousins, so I don't think it is a straw man to think that Sacramento might ask for one asset more than what you said you would give up. 

If Smart is just too much, would you compromise and give up Olynyk or a lesser first instead of Smart to go with the three Brooklyn picks?  Or do you no longer see the Brooklyn picks as being equal value?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2016, 03:13:16 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Whiteside is being compared to Cousins now??? They are on completely different levels.

Two things:

1) trading for Cousins vs signing Whiteside to a max. You give up assets go trade for Cousins, mostly pick I assume but Bradley or Smart plus Young/Hunter. Something like that. Signing Whiteside and you're basically done for the offseason. Unless you want to create more cap room to chase Durant and the like (you are not guaranteed to get them) in which case we have to waive Amir and JJ. So you are giving up players to sign Whiteside.

2) whilst the NBA is trending toward the 3pt line there are still many players who thrive on the midrange game, particularly bigs. Whiteside has shown that he's unwilling to leave the paint to follow a big man. We proved that you can crucify him with stretch bigs. Unless you are confident he can be taught to leave the paint then I don't want to invest the max in him.

3) bonus point. He blocks shots, it's great to see. But he chases blocks as well, leaving his man open for an easy layup or outback. Give me the sound fundamentals over the flashy blocks anyday.

« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2016, 08:00:33 PM »

Offline NHHillbilly

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 20
You sign Whiteside to a max contract if you just want to have a good team.  I don't think he could be the center on a championship team.  Even the non-stars on championship teams need to not be weak links in the chain. 

« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2016, 09:23:45 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Smart, Kelly No D and two firsts for Cousins, including this year's Brooklyn? Where do I sign?
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2016, 09:32:12 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
No no no.

People have fallen in love with Whiteside because he makes these highlight blocks...but the fact is, in terms of team defense, he's one of the worst rated big men in the league.  Despite all of his blocks, Miami was actually worse defensively with him on the court.

Now having said that, I'm not saying I wouldn't take him on my team.  But no way for a max contract.