Would you sign Whiteside to a Max Deal

Yes
27 (25.2%)
No
70 (65.4%)
Tommy Heinson loves painting.
10 (9.3%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Author Topic: Poll: Sign Whiteside to a Max Contact  (Read 8545 times)

Re: Poll: Sign Whiteside to a Max Contact
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2016, 08:34:17 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
No. Whiteside is a great defender, but he's pretty awful on offense, and I think his total lack of passing ability would be especially detrimental in Stevens's system. Moreover, there's a risk that his questionable work ethic deteriorates once he gets paid. The max is a LOT of money, and I wouldn't be opposed to signing him for a better price, but right now I think the opportunity cost on next year's FA market is much to high.

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2016, 09:27:25 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Whiteside is an empty stats kinda guy. Not too fond of him, particularly for the max.

- LilRip

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2016, 09:49:30 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I said yes because our current bigs are so bad we have to upgrade. Also with the hope CBS could coach him up making him a better player.

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2016, 11:25:07 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
We shouldn't assume that Whiteside has no up side remaining. He's a basketball player that has years to further develop. With a good coach, and some mentoring there is no reason why he can't grow as a player. He's already pretty effective in many aspects of the game.

Our present bigs are among the worst in the league, Sully proved in the heat of frantic playoff pressure and pace he is steps behind. And Zeller is not even in the picture.

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2016, 11:46:20 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
We shouldn't assume that Whiteside has no up side remaining. He's a basketball player that has years to further develop. With a good coach, and some mentoring there is no reason why he can't grow as a player. He's already pretty effective in many aspects of the game.

Our present bigs are among the worst in the league, Sully proved in the heat of frantic playoff pressure and pace he is steps behind. And Zeller is not even in the picture.

That's all true.

But, the team also has to consider what happens if he stagnates. If that happens, we're paying max money for a limited player.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2016, 11:56:48 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I'm fearful of another Mark Blount  :P

« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2016, 11:56:57 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Whitesides scares the crap out of me once he gets paid.

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2016, 11:58:03 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I say no in most circumstances. The only circumstance I'd do that is if we ended up drafting Simmons and signing Durant. That would mean we also get to keep IT, Smart, Bradley, and Crowder. And if that was the case, all we'd need is a defensive presence in the middle to anchor it all.

But I don't like the idea of investing in Whiteside as the first piece.

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2016, 12:07:32 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

Agreed. Whiteside has been improving steadily on the defensive end of the floor since he arrived in Miami. He is a better defender and better overall player now than he was 18 months ago. Clearly still improving. Still has room to improve more so defensively and some offensively too.

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2016, 12:13:40 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
I'd like Danny to stay far, far away.

But Cousins isn't a problem? Not saying Whiteside isn't somewhat of a gamble, but Cousins is just as much or more. Not to mention we'd have to give up assets to acquire Cousins.

« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2016, 12:15:29 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

But Cousins isn't a problem? Not saying Whiteside isn't somewhat of a gamble, but Cousins is just as much or more. Not to mention we'd have to give up assets to acquire Cousins.
Cousins has a much longer track record of being a productive player, plus he's already gotten paid so you know he's not coming in 60 lbs heavy after his big deal.

But yeah both Cousins and Whitesides worry me, I'd probably roll the dice on either one of them when it comes down to it.

« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2016, 12:22:38 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Cousins has a much longer track record of being a productive player, plus he's already gotten paid so you know he's not coming in 60 lbs heavy after his big deal.

But yeah both Cousins and Whitesides worry me, I'd probably roll the dice on either one of them when it comes down to it.
Yep, me too.  Whiteside's risk is that he Mark Blount's it.  Cousins would definitely be supremely productive but even though Whiteside is a moron I think Cousins is the far bigger team cancer risk.

« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2016, 12:31:55 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I can't help it but I just get a Mark Blount vibe from this guy --> looking for the payday and coasting after that.

« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2016, 12:51:08 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 572

But the reward is much greater with Cousins. He's already a top ten player, and maybe the top center in the league. Whiteside is not a top 30 player. I don't see how you can compare the two.

« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2016, 12:52:15 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
It is one thing to offer max money for someone who has had immaturity issues that has shown to be an elite talent.

It is another thing if you are immature and not shown to be elite level talent yet, just the potential to grow.

I would be fine with Cousins getting the max, but not Whiteside.