Would you sign Whiteside to a Max Deal

Yes
27 (25.2%)
No
70 (65.4%)
Tommy Heinson loves painting.
10 (9.3%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Author Topic: Poll: Sign Whiteside to a Max Contact  (Read 8513 times)

Poll: Sign Whiteside to a Max Contact
« on: April 30, 2016, 01:32:11 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 Let's say there is No Durant sightings, No Cousins, No Butler and no Okafor they are all asking too much and KD stays in OKC.

We have all this money laying around a team full of guards with no real big man besides 30 year old Amir.

He's easily one of the best defenders in the league, he's a real center. He's 26 years old. Stevens will be the best coach he's ever had. 7'7" wingspan 9'5" standing reach and a 32" vertical. Those numbers combined are insane.

People talk about a black hole on offense. I could care less. Tell him to set picks roll to the hoop, when we pass it to you it's because we want you to shoot it. He's shooting a league best 74% in the playoff's.

We could still trade him even with a huge contract, if there is know one else to be had. Why wouldn't you want Hassan.

Re: Poll: Sign Whiteside to a Max Contact
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 01:40:45 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
It all comes down to spending $ wisely. If he can buy into the team and not just go off on his own then he is a welcome addition. Heat have a way of signing guys though. Don't feel he will leave them. And on top of that Bosh is being paid by insurance so they have the $.

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 01:44:27 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
Yes, I'll take Whiteside if we don't get anyone else without a doubt. Of course, I'd rather have any of Durant, Butler, or Cousins over Whiteside, but we're not going to get much better by keeping this team around as is. At least with Whiteside we could legitimately be the top defense in the league between his rim protection and our perimeter defense. He'd also help our rebounding issues, too.

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 02:37:05 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I'd like Danny to stay far, far away.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 03:15:38 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Yeah great but who do you want playing center next year then? Olynyk? Spend the Nets pick on Poeltl?

Fact is besides Cousins there is no better option.

And Tp Potter for your comment.

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 03:22:19 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

Yeah great but who do you want playing center next year then? Olynyk? Spend the Nets pick on Poeltl?

Fact is besides Cousins there is no better option.

And Tp Potter for your comment.

I'd rather employ a temporary solution than sign Whiteside to major, long-term money. If we must sign a FA center long-term, then I'd rather have Biyombo, Dwight, or Ezeli.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 03:46:46 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Biyambo= back up plan.
 Howard, are you serious? The guy hates winning, he's getting old fast, injury history, no way would I pay him over Whiteside.

Festus is a decent option, but would much rather have H.W.

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 04:36:08 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Voted no , although this is not a black or white question.

The problem is not so much offering him max money as the duration of the contract.

Given his record, I would not trust this guy with a guaranteed 4/5 year contract: back in 2010, he was a second rounder, who was quickly sent to the DLeague and, then went to Lebanon and China (2013-14); even in China he was not much of a success bcs he quickly returned to Lebanon. Then he came to the NBA and Miami and had two great seasons, but it looks like both Wade and Bosh think he is a knucklehead.

Add to this that given how many teams have cap space and how few quality FAs are available, he will have his ego further inflated by dozens of managers, coaches etc asking him to join their team this summer. Looks like a classic big with attitude issues story in the making.

Moreover, he really started playing with MIA in January 2015, therefore he only has a year and something of being really good at the NBA. Can he maintain his present performance over a long period? Can he handle the psychological pressure and body exhaustion that comes with it? It's too early to say based on what he has done so far.

There are some other things to consider: his offensive game is unpolished, and his defensive plays are often questionable (see his second foul at game 6 against Hornets against Cody Zeller). Overall, he often gives me the impression to prioritize stats and highlights over substance (esp. when it comes to blocks).

Still, even with these red flags about his game he is easily among NBA's top big men; if Ainge and company had enough information to decide that he is worth taking the risk, I would trust their decision (and then good luck to us getting a player half the league also wants), when it comes to assessing character and future promise NBA insiders have more and better info than fans.

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 06:45:10 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Biyambo= back up plan.
 Howard, are you serious? The guy hates winning, he's getting old fast, injury history, no way would I pay him over Whiteside.

It won't take the max to sign Biyombo.

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 07:28:17 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
I hate to say it, but  Low IQ Whiteside beats a fat Sully any day of the weak.

Sully is total waste of money ,  take what you were going to pay him to be a professional player and then add the rest to sign Whiteside.

We need a tuff inside presence .   We only have poor old broken down Amir .   KO sucks as a man in the paint 7 foot of softness.   Sully is too fat to jump .   

We need Whiteside to clear the boards .   

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2016, 07:46:18 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
If he showed up to play I would be fine with signing him to something reasonable.I am afraid to give this guy a comfort level with money because that may lead to trouble. now if we have a veteran to babysit and keep his head in the right direction? then yes.

Not sure he will leave South Beach though. I live nearby and it is a party town full of hot women, movie and music industry stars. MLB players, NFL players and NBA players all love it and I would believe he is no different.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2016, 08:16:26 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
I'm glad we have competent guys in Danny and Brad to make these decisions. We do need someone though. I think the best plan might just be to spend spend spend and worry about it later.

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2016, 08:38:28 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
It all comes down to spending $ wisely. If he can buy into the team and not just go off on his own then he is a welcome addition. Heat have a way of signing guys though. Don't feel he will leave them. And on top of that Bosh is being paid by insurance so they have the $.

Bosh's cap number, whether he plays or not, still counts against the cap. Depending on how of a paycut Wade is willing to take this summer, they may not be able to give Whiteside the full max. Plus, they don't have his Bird rights.

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2016, 08:39:59 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Whiteside is crazy. I'm not kidding, he's a nutjob.
Stay far, faaaaaaar away.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2016, 08:58:54 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I hate to say it, but  Low IQ Whiteside beats a fat Sully any day of the weak.

Sully is total waste of money ,  take what you were going to pay him to be a professional player and then add the rest to sign Whiteside.

We need a tuff inside presence .   We only have poor old broken down Amir .   KO sucks as a man in the paint 7 foot of softness.   Sully is too fat to jump .   

We need Whiteside to clear the boards .
Except that when we've played them Sully has contained Whiteside offensively and stretched him out of the game when Sully is on offense. Same for Olynyk. Whiteside can block shots and he has good feet. I could see him developing under Stevens. But I would rather not commit long term max money to him. I'd rather sign a stop gap like Pachulia or Ezeli or go and get a guy like Henson.

I don't trust Whiteside and I think he's an overrated defender anyway