Author Topic: Danny's draft predicament with Butler and Durant  (Read 5768 times)

Re: Danny's draft predicament with Butler and Durant
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2016, 07:33:54 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
I d say it's pretty much up to the luck of the lottery .

If the pick is high enough .......DA can probably swap for a star

If it is 5 or 6 .....flame out on fire works.

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2016, 07:35:10 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Give up #1 pick for Butler?  Please, pass that joint...smh.

In short, H to the NO!

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2016, 09:12:06 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I know this is not likely a popular suggestion, but if we had to take Pau Gasol with Butler in a trade I think we have to grab them with both hands. While he doesnt make the big man wish list with Griffin, Horford and Love, I take him to get Butler every time. He would be a nice asset as a short term rotation big and definitely an upgrade for the next few seasons until we can draft or sign a decent big. I also think that pair might make Durant look a little closer at the Celtics.
Rumour is they hate each other's guts.
Besides, Pau's remaining one year is a player's option: it's p pointless for Chicago to trade this contract.

Yes I know about the rumor, I also heard the rumor that Gasol wanted to stay if the Bulls want him or go to a contender. The story was that he would consider a short term contract also if it was the right situation.

If they wanted to package them for Amire, Jerebko and AB with a few Picks then it works financially and frees up cap space for the Bulls if they want it to pursue their own FA. Just as an example.

just to confirm, Pau and Butler actually get along. They share a strong work ethic and Pau is  apparently the one getting in Jimmy's ear about putting up with Chicago's BS.

The locker room is basically Jimmy+Pau+Mirotic+young guys
vs
Noah, Rose, Gibson and vets.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2016, 04:56:55 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I'm still not sold on the fact that we can't trade for Cousins, which would just give us one more potential star to trade for to attract Durant. Plus, I'm worried about giving up significant assets for Butler when our frontcourt is much more in need of an upgrade and the position that Butler plays (the swing 2-3 position) is probably our strongest position at the moment.

Of course, if only Butler is available then I still think you go for him, just as long as you don't overpay too much, i.e. Crowder + Smart + Brooklyn pick + other picks. Even if we would get Durant AND Butler, I still don't think we're a legitimate contender until we upgrade our 5 spot.
Interesting article on RealGM about how Griffin and Paul just don't work together. Personally I think they're pretty much the only team that could beat GSW in a 7 game series in the West.

http://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/241720/Ordinary-Together-MVPs-Apart

I'd much prefer Griffin over Cousins. I'm biased though because I hate Cousins. I even worry that getting Cousins here would turn Durant away from becoming a Celtic since their recent on court incident.
I would say Danny's #1 targets will be Cousins and Griffin with the BRK 16' pick, and then Butler with the remaining assets in our pool.

It would be pretty sweet if he could nab two of those guys by dumping everything we have in a colossal off-season. eg...

#1 or #2 pick for Griffin and then
2017 Nets pick swap+2018 Nets pick+ Rozier+Hunter+Smart for Butler
etc
leaves us with

IT
Butler
Crowder
Griffin
Random center

with AB, Olynyk off the bench

Each to their own.  I would take Cousins over Blake Griffin, and I wouldn't have to stop to think about it. 

Cousins is superior to Blake Griffin in just about every single aspect of the game except athleticism - and if the argument is about Cousins being a head case, then...Griffin is certainly no better. 

Punching out a fellow staff member AND breaking his hand (and missing significant games) because of it is far, far, far more bonehead then anything Cousins has ever done.  That's just on an entirely new level of stupidity.

Likewise for anybody who argues Cousins hasn't won games - neither did Blake Griffin until Chris Paul came along...and the Clippers didn't actually get any worse really once they lost Griffin to the injury either.

But still, we all have the rights to our opinion!

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2016, 05:40:15 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I'm still not sold on the fact that we can't trade for Cousins, which would just give us one more potential star to trade for to attract Durant. Plus, I'm worried about giving up significant assets for Butler when our frontcourt is much more in need of an upgrade and the position that Butler plays (the swing 2-3 position) is probably our strongest position at the moment.

Of course, if only Butler is available then I still think you go for him, just as long as you don't overpay too much, i.e. Crowder + Smart + Brooklyn pick + other picks. Even if we would get Durant AND Butler, I still don't think we're a legitimate contender until we upgrade our 5 spot.
Interesting article on RealGM about how Griffin and Paul just don't work together. Personally I think they're pretty much the only team that could beat GSW in a 7 game series in the West.

http://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/241720/Ordinary-Together-MVPs-Apart

I'd much prefer Griffin over Cousins. I'm biased though because I hate Cousins. I even worry that getting Cousins here would turn Durant away from becoming a Celtic since their recent on court incident.
I would say Danny's #1 targets will be Cousins and Griffin with the BRK 16' pick, and then Butler with the remaining assets in our pool.

It would be pretty sweet if he could nab two of those guys by dumping everything we have in a colossal off-season. eg...

#1 or #2 pick for Griffin and then
2017 Nets pick swap+2018 Nets pick+ Rozier+Hunter+Smart for Butler
etc
leaves us with

IT
Butler
Crowder
Griffin
Random center

with AB, Olynyk off the bench

Each to their own.  I would take Cousins over Blake Griffin, and I wouldn't have to stop to think about it. 

Cousins is superior to Blake Griffin in just about every single aspect of the game except athleticism - and if the argument is about Cousins being a head case, then...Griffin is certainly no better. 

Punching out a fellow staff member AND breaking his hand (and missing significant games) because of it is far, far, far more bonehead then anything Cousins has ever done.  That's just on an entirely new level of stupidity.

Likewise for anybody who argues Cousins hasn't won games - neither did Blake Griffin until Chris Paul came along...and the Clippers didn't actually get any worse really once they lost Griffin to the injury either.

But still, we all have the rights to our opinion!

Well Crim, these discussions never seem to change either side's mind, but to me there's a huge difference between getting drunk and doing something stupid vs being a habitual whiner who's team mates/coaches/broadcast announcers despise and detest.

There is no comparison in their on court behavior and attitude and Griffin has the superior mental edge/toughness factor in this regard.

Griffin's numbers in the playoffs last season were phenomenal.
25.5 points, 12.7 rebounds, 6.1 assists, 1 block, 1 steal.
And those numbers are sharing the paint with DJ and sharing the scoring with CP3 and Reddick, vs the Spurs and the Rockets.

Blake Griffin is arguably a top 5 player in the NBA when healthy.

I want no part of Cousins because of his attitude, but regardless, I don't think you're giving Blake enough credit for his on court results/credentials and if we somehow stole him from the Clippers with a Brooklyn pick, we should all be rejoicing.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 05:47:17 AM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2016, 06:38:03 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
In the subject of griffin, one fear I have is if he clearly goes on the trade market doesn't it make sense for the clippers and Bulls to discuss a butler for griffin swap? Butler and Mirotic for griffin seems like a logical trade for both teams.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2016, 07:32:40 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
In the subject of griffin, one fear I have is if he clearly goes on the trade market doesn't it make sense for the clippers and Bulls to discuss a butler for griffin swap? Butler and Mirotic for griffin seems like a logical trade for both teams.
Why will the Bulls want to become the old Clippers?
They want Picks and young players

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2016, 07:57:49 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Hate to bust your bubble, but the likelihood of getting either of them is slim.