Author Topic: Lakers hire Walton  (Read 2628 times)

Lakers hire Walton
« on: April 29, 2016, 10:12:08 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/160429_lukewalton?cid=tw

They might actually be decent now [dang it]
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

Re: Lakers hire Walton
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 10:13:56 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Now all they need to do is find their Curry, Green, Thompson, Iggy and Bogut.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 10:21:31 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 987
Lakers looking mighty scary now

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 10:23:49 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Lakers looking mighty scary now

lol. NO

lakers don't have a curry, thompson etc

If walton can get the lakers into the playoffs next season, he is a genius

He is in for a rough time

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 10:29:47 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
Eh. Let's be fair. Russell is a very talented player. Randle can grab rebounds and make his own offense. And Clarkson is a chucker. They're not gonna be playing for lottery balls anymore, and the outlook could be looking up. But I still wish it didn't happen.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 11:09:20 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Eh. Let's be fair. Russell is a very talented player. Randle can grab rebounds and make his own offense. And Clarkson is a chucker. They're not gonna be playing for lottery balls anymore, and the outlook could be looking up. But I still wish it didn't happen.
I'll believe it when I see it. Lakers are trash right now.

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 11:19:10 PM »

Offline CelticsFan166

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 133
Just think guys... this is good.

They're not gonna be winning any championships with the roster as-is. All they're going to be doing is being a middle of the pack team. What that means for us is that we don't have to worry about them being worse than Brooklyn. Meaning, the pick (barring an unexpected level of suckitude from LA) is going to be one slot higher. As long as they aren't winning a title next year (which they won't be) this does nothing but help us.

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 11:21:56 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 987

They're not gonna be winning any championships with the roster as-is. All they're going to be doing is being a middle of the pack team. What that means for us is that we don't have to worry about them being worse than Brooklyn. Meaning, the pick (barring an unexpected level of suckitude from LA) is going to be one slot higher. As long as they aren't winning a title next year (which they won't be) this does nothing but help us.

Now what if they suddenly make the playoffs...the West does look weak this year

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 11:32:25 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
I just do not understand why Walton is considered a good coach...let alone, and NBA head coach...this is some knee-jerk, Jim Buss over-reaction to the Warriors winning a lot of games this season....They wouldn't have won as many games without the mighty Luke Walton---?

Years ago, Jerry Buss made the decision to let his kids run the franchise--INSTEAD of letting Jerry West run it....Karma, baby.....Oh yeah---what team is West working for now---?
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 12:05:37 AM »

Offline CelticsFan166

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 133

Now what if they suddenly make the playoffs...the West does look weak this year
Then good for them, they made the playoffs. I could care much less whether or not they make the playoffs as long as they don't win the title.

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2016, 01:14:15 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
The thing I'm worried about is free agents. Free agents definitely view Walton in a higher light than Byron Scott. Also, given the fact it's LA and the opportunity to step into Kobe's shoes, along with the young potential they have, and suddenly I'm afraid free agents take another look. Ultimately though, it probably doesn't help them too much, since they still won't be very good. Yet, in a few years they could be a scary team.

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2016, 02:13:26 AM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232

The flip side of that is: Russell AND Randle can't play a lick of defense. Russell has the maturity of a 14 year old. Sure, you can manage some nice counting stats when your one of three or four guys that ever see the ball on that team, but I'm certainly not sold on him as a star in the making. I like Randle some, but I'd be surprised if he ever reached a prime David Lee level of play. It's really hard to be a star in this league if you can't space the floor and you can't play defense, especially from a big who can't play anything but the 4. Is he a great rebounder? Yeah. Plug him into this Celtic team in Sully's place and he could thrive in that role. But I don't see a future Superstar there. Clarkson too. He's a guy who's certainly outperformed his draft slot, but he's been their #2 option for 2 years now. He's a flawed and limited player, but his counting stats don't reflect that as much as they would on most other teams.

Do they have a few nice pieces? Sure. But so do the Sixers, Magic, Wolves, Celtics, Jazz, etc. I certainly would rather be in our shoes than theirs.

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2016, 05:38:41 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

TP for the optimism  ;D

The timing of Hinkie's resignation and the change of attitude in front offices were a bliss.

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2016, 05:52:50 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
The Lakers are just a couple of top free agents and/or trades from being really good, as good as us.

And stand a much better chance of getting one or more (FA's).

I have no idea if Walton is a good coach.  He probably learned a lot from Kerr and his system while there in GS, and obviously did not get in the way of a great first half of the season by the Warriors.

I think he was Phil Jackson's first choice, so there's that!!

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2016, 07:15:06 AM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
The Lakers are just a couple of top free agents and/or trades from being really good, as good as us.

And stand a much better chance of getting one or more (FA's).

I have no idea if Walton is a good coach.  He probably learned a lot from Kerr and his system while there in GS, and obviously did not get in the way of a great first half of the season by the Warriors.

I think he was Phil Jackson's first choice, so there's that!!

That can be said about any team in the league.  I think the only thing to worry about here is that the lakers finally made a good decision, even if it was a no brainer.  Otherwise, I'm not that concerned for the near future.  They won 17 games last year.  If you double that it gets them to 10th in the west this year.  The biggest single season turn arounds have all involved transcendent players joining up (Kidd, Nash, Robinson, Duncan and KG).  I don't see free agents this year jockeying to sign up with rookies and second year players to maybe get a mid playoff seed next year (and I think that's generous).

It is a step in the right direction though and could have a lot to do with Kobe being gone and now they're able to focus on a single goal of improving the team. 

I think Walton will be a good coach in this league but lets not forget that he's a hot ticket right now because of the success of GS and the role he played coaching the team.  That can change very quickly in this league.  There was a time last season when everyone was talking about Hornacek and what a great job he was doing in PHX.