Author Topic: What would it take to get Jimmy Butler? What would you be willing to give up?  (Read 7695 times)

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
i guess crowder + smart + 2016 nets pick

It's hard to decide what players to trade because we dont know the bulls interest in any of our players
also crowder's value has gone down from injury and rough playoffs and last games of the season

the trade will most likely need to include a guard as we would have too many to share playing time

from my trade butler replaces crowder at SF with rozier replacing smart at PG

for bulls = crowder could play SF or SG, with smart as backup to derrick rose

That's an overpay, in my opinion. I suggested something like the 2016 Brooklyn pick, Crowder, and Rozier (along with a couple of our other young guys for salary purposes), because they coveted Rozier apparently in the draft.

Yeah that first offer is way too much. Maybe for like cousins or someone. But not butler.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I posted this in another Butler thread but this is pretty fair I think:

2016 Nets + Amir (salary purposes) + Crowder (similar to Butler, cost controlled, multiple years) + some 2nd rounders for Butler + future 2nd rounder. If throw in any one of Rozier, Hunter, Young or Mickey too, if Bulls want.
- LilRip

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

2016 Nets + Amir (salary purposes) + Crowder (similar to Butler, cost controlled, multiple years) + some 2nd rounders for Butler + future 2nd rounder. If throw in any one of Rozier, Hunter, Young or Mickey too, if Bulls want.

CHI hangs up the phone laughing at that offer.  Ainge already has a reputation as a guy who takes advantage and wins trades and of being a low ball offer guy.   This offer would not cut it.

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
How about fair and similar to history?
Despite PP, KG wouldn't consider the C's.
Despite IT, KD wouldn't consider C's.

Therefore C's traded Wally, West and the 5th pick for Ray Allen, an older top 5 Sg at the time. KG jumps on board

Therefore C's should trade AJ, Rozier, C's 1st, and the Nets non top 2 pick for Jimmy Butler, a young top 5 SG. KD jumps on board.

C's got vets House, Posey and PJ to jump on board as well.
C's may get vets Stat and Al to jump on board.

Trade up for impact rookies. 16, 31 and 58 for Lab pf/C. 35, 45 and 51 for Stone.

IT/Smart
Butler/AB/Hunter
KD/Crowder/Young
KO/JJ/Lab/Mikey
Stat/Al/Stone
KG wasn't a free agent dude.

Waiving a no-trade clause to come here should bear similar weight to a player joining a team in free agency.
What this guy said. KG nixed first deal. Then after C's got Allen he waived no trade clause.

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

CHI hangs up the phone laughing at that offer.  Ainge already has a reputation as a guy who takes advantage and wins trades and of being a low ball offer guy.   This offer would not cut it.
That is actually a pretty fair offer.  I mean you are talking about a top 5 pick, a nice solid young starter on a great contract, a respectable vet on a 1 year deal (or salary relief if they cut him), and some 2nd rounders and maybe even a young guy or two for Butler and a future 2nd.  That isn't a laughable offer at all. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391

How is that a bad offer? Let's review some of the more recent blockbusters:

1) in 2014, Minnesota essentially received the #1 overall pick (Wiggins), Anthony Bennett (had potential but likely role-player-at-best), and Thaddeus Young (solid role player) for perennial all-star Kevin Love.

2) in 2012, Orlando received Vucevic (prospect who hadn't proved anything yet at the time), Afflalo (solid role player), Moe Harkless (rookie prospect) and three 1st round picks for 3-time DPOY and MVP candidate Dwight Howard.

3) in 2011, Nuggets received Wilson Chandler (solid role player), Raymond Felton (solid role player), Gallo (prospect with high potential), Mozgov (serviceable big), a 1st rounder (which, I think at the time was projected to be non-lotto) and a couple of 2nd rounders for Melo.

--

Now, I don't think Butler is in the D12 category but he is an allstar and still young. Getting a high potential prospect with the #1 pick in Simmons/Ingram, a rock solid role player in Crowder (on a terrific contract, btw), a serviceable big in Amir, another unproven prospect in Rozier/Hunter or Young and a couple of 2nd rounders doesn't seem like a bad haul at all.

- LilRip

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

That's a pretty solid offer, and I wouldn't go much higher than that to be honest.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

That's a pretty solid offer, and I wouldn't go much higher than that to be honest.
The value of this offer depends entirely on how the Brooklyn pick turns out. A #1 pick is not the same as a #6.

Offline YoungOne87

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 65
nets pick (if its not top 2), crowder/bradley + amir + some combination of the rest of our picks this year.

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
If the rumors are to believed, it'll probably cost all our picks this year and Crowder. I've consistently seen media suggest that any deal we attempt to make for a star, the other team is going to want Crowder in the deal.  Maybe Bradley as well. 

Crowder + Bradley + the Brooklyn 1st would be the type of overpay I'd expect to see.  I wouldn't be comfortable doing it unless it guaranteed us a Durant signing. 

I'd rather just hang onto the assets otherwise.  He's not a franchise player.  Some people see him as a future superstar.   I don't see it.  Bulls apparently don't either.
What rumors are those?   Fan comments on Chicago sports blogs?

Your starting comments make it sound like the Bulls value him so highly that it would cost us the moon to get him.

Your ending comments assert that he's not worth the moon and that the Bulls apparently don't think he is either.

That seems like a rather convenient bit of contradiction there.

What is "apparent" about how the Bulls see Butler is that they forked over a five-year $95M contract last year to keep long-term control over him.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
I think that the OP has it generally right: Brooklyn 2016,Smart, and Crowder. Posters are not factoring in Butler's salary. Whoever has him gets him for less than $20 million per year until the end of the 2018-2019 season. If he were to be on the free agent market now, he would be a max contract guy. He's a real bargain. Incidentally, he has a player option for 2019-2020 at $19.8 million that he will likely opt out of unless the quality of his play completely collapses.

Offline djbilly33

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 11
Imagine trading for Butler, landing Durant and Whiteside, along with IT and Crowder.

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I think Chicago will ask for the following:

Picks:
2016 Nets
2016 Mavs
2018 Nets

Players:
Crowder
Mickey
Amir (for salary match)

Danny Ainge then hangs up the phone and does not call back.

*click*

'Hello,hello, Danny, are you still there? He hung up on me."

This ain't Cousins, Curry or Durant we're talking about. Chicago can ask for whatever they want but that doesn't mean they'll get it. That team has some fundamental issues and if they're smart they'll scrap the team and rebuild while angling for a high draft choice next year. Butler is a excellent player without a doubt, but he's not a transformative one and no one is giving them a top 4 (most likely) selection, another likely lottery pick, a mid-1st and one of the most attractive player contracts in the NBA for him. He simply isn't worth that kind of ransom.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
I'd rather just keep crowder and the Brooklyn pick.  Crowder is solid and on a great contract.  I'd be excited to watch the rookie develop.  I don't think swapping out crowder with butler is going to move the needle enough and you'd be locking up 17 mil of cap for butler.  Butler shot 31% from three this year.  Crowder is solid defensively as well.  I think the hope is that butler can carry an offense, but I don't see it.
I think the hope is that Butler is on the verge of improving to a K. Leonard level.  Not necessarily carry a team but someone who makes a big difference.  I think he is a good player who likely will continue to improve some but that is the risk.  If we trade for a guy like him, there is some risk.

It is interesting to me that the salary match works pretty well with Bradley + Amir Johnson (who is non-guaranteed).  From there you add picks.  I think they would want Brooklyn 2016.  Then if they like Rozier, fine and/or maybe the Memphis pick.  If you want to go "all in" offer the 2018 Brooklyn pick too.

If we can start with Thomas, Butler, and Crowder, that is really good; definitely an improvement and a decent step in the right direction.  We still need better bigs though and I am not sure where we can get any.  Rookies are too young,  Mickey probably isn't quite ready.  Sullinger hasn't proven he can get or stay in shape.  Olynyk is a good bench player.  Zeller?

So in the end, I don't know.  If we are going to give up valuable picks and young players for Butler, we would want to have a contending team very soon and we can't do that without a significant front court upgrade.

I would be inclined to take Butler for Bradley, Amir, BKN 2016 MEM 20?? but probably not much more than that.  If Rozier became the deal breaker, i would throw him in too.  Hard to say what CHI might be looking for.

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Interesting

@KCJHoop
Kris Dunn said he interviewed with Bulls, who obviously would have to trade up to get him. Interviews also can be due diligence for future.