Author Topic: Some quotes from Danny Ainge on the playoffs and this summer  (Read 4466 times)

Re: Some quotes from Danny Ainge on the playoffs and this summer
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2016, 05:29:51 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
Yeah we can't count on a pick. Even if we get a future star, how many stars are all that good their first year.

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2016, 07:00:12 PM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
Danny has shown his maturity here. He has stated that the playoffs were disappointing and not used injuries as too much of an excuse. He can't reveal his plans too specifically but the hint is there that he will be looking for names. At this stage of the game DA is just putting his ante down and waiting to see what gets put in the pot.

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2016, 10:26:11 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I also don't see him in any rush to make a contending team by next season.

If the Celts head into next season with more or less the same group plus some rookies, we shouldn't expect anything much different than this season (mid to high 40s in wins, middle seed, first round loss).
Yeah, which is why I don't really care if Ainge doesn't fix some immediate issues. The Celtics will probably win 44-50 games next season with this current team.

That's not my takeaway at all.

I want to see some willingness to make changes, to experiment even, to see if a different mix can go further.

Whether that's bringing in potential long term pieces or going with short term additions like Amir last summer, at least demonstrate that another 40-something win season and a first round loss is not an acceptable goal.

I'd rather Ainge try to make some bold moves that result in the team taking a step back than watch the same basic group work hard toward the same result. 

A middle of the road team at a talent disadvantage against pretty much any playoff opponent, needing to hope for good fortune and tough shots to fall simply to advance past the 1st round.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2016, 10:29:59 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

I agree.  I would disagree with the idea that a lack of opportunities to turn the team into a contender should be any excuse to not make significant changes to address the glaring weaknesses of the current roster.

If the Celts head into next season with more or less the same group plus some rookies, we shouldn't expect anything much different than this season (mid to high 40s in wins, middle seed, first round loss).
So basically if Ainge whiffs with the Nets picks and we don't pick up any stud free agents, we might be stuck being a mediocre team for a while.

People need to understand that assets aren't assets if you cannot convert them into value on the floor.

It is most assuredly not OK to go into next season without adding shooters to this roster and subtracting some of our substantial collection of bricklayers who can't defend. RJ Hunter comes immediately to mind, but there are others.

Which is why I just laugh when Grousbeck and Ainge talk so glowingly about off-seasons - as they have done many times in the past.

Both of them have cried wolf far too often. Talk is cheap.

It is time to make this team better.
RJ Hunter has played one year in the NBA, Id like to give him more of a shot.

I've seen more than enough. There is little market for a spot up shooter who cannot defend a chair. Terrible pick.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2016, 10:38:00 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904

I agree.  I would disagree with the idea that a lack of opportunities to turn the team into a contender should be any excuse to not make significant changes to address the glaring weaknesses of the current roster.

So basically if Ainge whiffs with the Nets picks and we don't pick up any stud free agents, we might be stuck being a mediocre team for a while.

People need to understand that assets aren't assets if you cannot convert them into value on the floor.

It is most assuredly not OK to go into next season without adding shooters to this roster and subtracting some of our substantial collection of bricklayers who can't defend. RJ Hunter comes immediately to mind, but there are others.

Which is why I just laugh when Grousbeck and Ainge talk so glowingly about off-seasons - as they have done many times in the past.

Both of them have cried wolf far too often. Talk is cheap.

It is time to make this team better.

I agree. This summer amounts to the perfect storm to improve this team and nab a bonafied star. It will be a major failure on our part of our team doesn't look substantially different next year.

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2016, 11:47:02 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 987
Yeah we can't count on a pick. Even if we get a future star, how many stars are all that good their first year.

Unless we land a Karl-Anthony Towns typa star

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)