Author Topic: Some quotes from Danny Ainge on the playoffs and this summer  (Read 4512 times)

Re: Some quotes from Danny Ainge on the playoffs and this summer
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2016, 12:45:58 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I also don't see him in any rush to make a contending team by next season.

I agree.  I would disagree with the idea that a lack of opportunities to turn the team into a contender should be any excuse to not make significant changes to address the glaring weaknesses of the current roster.

If the Celts head into next season with more or less the same group plus some rookies, we shouldn't expect anything much different than this season (mid to high 40s in wins, middle seed, first round loss).
So basically if Ainge whiffs with the Nets picks and we don't pick up any stud free agents, we might be stuck being a mediocre team for a while.

People need to understand that assets aren't assets if you cannot convert them into value on the floor.

It is most assuredly not OK to go into next season without adding shooters to this roster and subtracting some of our substantial collection of bricklayers who can't defend. RJ Hunter comes immediately to mind, but there are others.

Which is why I just laugh when Grousbeck and Ainge talk so glowingly about off-seasons - as they have done many times in the past.

Both of them have cried wolf far too often. Talk is cheap.

It is time to make this team better.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2016, 12:50:04 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

I agree.  I would disagree with the idea that a lack of opportunities to turn the team into a contender should be any excuse to not make significant changes to address the glaring weaknesses of the current roster.

If the Celts head into next season with more or less the same group plus some rookies, we shouldn't expect anything much different than this season (mid to high 40s in wins, middle seed, first round loss).
So basically if Ainge whiffs with the Nets picks and we don't pick up any stud free agents, we might be stuck being a mediocre team for a while.

People need to understand that assets aren't assets if you cannot convert them into value on the floor.

It is most assuredly not OK to go into next season without adding shooters to this roster and subtracting some of our substantial collection of bricklayers who can't defend. RJ Hunter comes immediately to mind, but there are others.

Which is why I just laugh when Grousbeck and Ainge talk so glowingly about off-seasons - as they have done many times in the past.

I'd gladly play for your team in the game of life, CoachBo
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2016, 12:52:08 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
So three years after blowing it up we are exactly where we were before blowing it up, except for a younger core.
I dont think this counts as "blowing it up"

When we "blew it up" we traded Paul Pierce and KG, then proceeded to finish the process last summer when we sent Rondo and Green packing. Those were your 4 most important/best players being shed over the course of a year and a half. Here, we are trimming the fat.

I personally Id be shocked if any less than 3 of  IT, Bradley, Crowder, and Smart are back next year. When you return 3/4 of your core, and honestly I expect us to bring back all 4, then I dont think it counts as blowing it up.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2016, 12:53:05 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

RJ Hunter has played one year in the NBA, Id like to give him more of a shot.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2016, 12:58:19 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
So three years after blowing it up we are exactly where we were before blowing it up, except for a younger core.

That sounds about right, only we have a top 5 pick this year and two more Nets picks coming the next two years.

Gotta hit on something with those picks for that to matter, though.

I want to say, though, the "younger core " thing is sort of a misleading term in the way it's used around here sometimes.

Thomas, Crowder, Bradley, Turner, and Amir were our best players this year.

I don't think it's going out on a limb to say those guys have probably played their best seasons already.
In three years, I'm not sure which of them will still be good enough and healthy enough to start on a playoff team.  Amir especially is old for 28, and guys as small as IT rarely play much beyond age 30.

Of the guys on the team who still have the potential to take another step, Sullinger probably should be on a different team next year.  Olynyk hasn't shown he has another gear he can reach on a regular basis.  Smart has potential, but needs to improve A LOT on offense.  The rest of the guys have no real experience at all so it's hard to say what to expect.

Point being, "young" for this team doesn't stand for "tons of room for improvement with this group of players," nor does it mean "this group could play at this level for the foreseeable future."
Last year people were saying the same thing about our best players. I expect Crowder to improve, this is his first full season playing major minutes in the NBA.  Bradley is only going to be 26 next year I think he's still on an upward trend.

It was great, but he shot the lowest effective field goal percentage of his career, I think there is still room for him to improve, especially defensively.

I agree that Amir probably won't get better and I think Turner/Sullinger won't be on the team so I'm not interested in if he gets better.

I expect a large improvement in Olynyk next year.

I'm sure all of our guys won't improve but being on the young side of the age curve means statistically, more players will improve than not (since on average players tend to improve until 28 and then start to dip)
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2016, 01:06:13 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

IMO Hunter already has some redflags. Unlike Rozier (speed) and Mickey (wingspan, shot blocking) Hunter has no great physical attributes: his selling point was from the start making 3s and his 19/63 this regular season is nothing to write home about. He is also 22 yo. All in all I do not see a great margin of improvement in him and I would not be shocked if he were traded to make space for this year's picks.

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2016, 01:12:36 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Yeah, I don't think RJ is an NBA player.  He didn't really show anything this year to suggest that he has a future.  That's OK, most end-of-round guys are not NBA players.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2016, 01:17:41 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

IMO Hunter already has some redflags. Unlike Rozier (speed) and Mickey (wingspan, shot blocking) Hunter has no great physical attributes: his selling point was from the start making 3s and his 19/63 this regular season is nothing to write home about. He is also 22 yo. All in all I do not see a great margin of improvement in him and I would not be shocked if he were traded to make space for this year's picks.
Yea Id be perfectly fine with that. I think hes got a decent future. Hes no star for sure, but I dont see any reason to push to get rid of him. However, if we need space, Id rather keep Mickey and Rozier.

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2016, 02:42:27 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346

Yeah, which is why I don't really care if Ainge doesn't fix some immediate issues. The Celtics will probably win 44-50 games next season with this current team. If the only way to address their lack of offensive talent is to overpay for marginal to medium upgrades that would change that outlook by maybe one round in the post-season, then I don't see the point.

If he can get a young player with a high ceiling, like Beal, sure. If there is another shooter out there who can play a little defense, then again, sure. But I'm not really interested in him joining the bidding wars for the likes of Batum, Barnes, Bazemore or DeRozan when all that will change is that we'll maybe win a game against Cleveland.

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2016, 04:23:14 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

And this is a GREAT thing, considering the year before the blow up, they were a quarter away from the NBA finals.

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2016, 04:49:45 PM »

Offline BadNewsBarnes

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 41
BadNewsBarnes

To start dumping guys based on their play in this 6 game series would be reactionary and short sighted.  I don't expect Danny will be making any harsh judgements here.

Glad to hear Danny saying he won't overreact.  Getting rid of Sully isn't an overreaction though.  Getting rid of him is based on his inability to stay in shape.  We will live to regret the day we give Sully a 4 or 5 year contract in excess of $10MM per year. 

If playing in a contract year wasn't incentive enough for him to get in shape what will happen to him when he has a long term deal and no apparent incentive to stay in shape.

An overreaction would be wanting to be rid of Sullinger so badly that you don't offer him a qualifying offer and let him become an unrestricted free agent.

We already declined to  give Sully & Zeller extensions

http://www.celticsblog.com/2015/11/2/9659338/celtics-choose-not-to-extend-sullinger-and-zeller

They are both restricted free agents.  Just my opinion but I don't want to see them overpay for Sully.  Maybe the can work out a sign & trade with someone?

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2016, 04:57:11 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Sounds a lot to me like he's managing expectations in case the fireworks plans fall through once again and we end up with substantially the same team plus some rookies.

Meh.

The difference is that we have a top pick this year. Even if we stand pat, we'll be making at least one major addition.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2016, 05:07:56 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
If it's the 5th or 6th pick is it a major addition though? I'm not cracking wise . I don't follow college and it sounds like there's no known commodities after the 1st 2 picks.

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2016, 05:24:50 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

That sounds about right, only we have a top 5 pick this year and two more Nets picks coming the next two years.

Gotta hit on something with those picks for that to matter, though.

I want to say, though, the "younger core " thing is sort of a misleading term in the way it's used around here sometimes.

Thomas, Crowder, Bradley, Turner, and Amir were our best players this year.

I don't think it's going out on a limb to say those guys have probably played their best seasons already.  In three years, I'm not sure which of them will still be good enough and healthy enough to start on a playoff team.  Amir especially is old for 28, and guys as small as IT rarely play much beyond age 30.

Of the guys on the team who still have the potential to take another step, Sullinger probably should be on a different team next year.  Olynyk hasn't shown he has another gear he can reach on a regular basis.  Smart has potential, but needs to improve A LOT on offense.  The rest of the guys have no real experience at all so it's hard to say what to expect.

Point being, "young" for this team doesn't stand for "tons of room for improvement with this group of players," nor does it mean "this group could play at this level for the foreseeable future."

Wait why in the world did you lump Crowder and Bradley in with those other guys? He is 25 and has already played his best season? Do you think the league is owned by 22-25 year olds? He also pretty much improved in every category I can find this offseason and see no reason he wont make continued improvements going into next year. Bradley is even younger than Crowder by a few months and doesn't turn 26 till next november. He may not still dramatically improve because he has been around a lot, but is definitely just entering his prime. Isiah Thomas has shown dramatic improvement and just turned 27. What bizarre statements.

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2016, 05:29:00 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Get Durant and Ingram.

I would put forth the proposition that they are redundant.

An overreaction would be wanting to be rid of Sullinger so badly that you don't offer him a qualifying offer and let him become an unrestricted free agent.

I don't have a problem with the qualifying offer, but he played horrible this season, he has never once got in game shape or maintained his weight.   He also can't shoot.   The qualifying offer would retain his services for another year cheap unless someone outbid us.   Which may or not happen.  I don't think he should be doing more than coming off the bench next year.   But I think would be best for us to part ways, because he is not professional ( does not stay in shape, maintain playing weight, or gaining weight during the season), shoots poorly (a poor shooter in about every category, with bad shot selection and acts like he is the "hero", and his ceiling is low, as it always has been.

Getting rid of Sully isn't an overreaction though.  Getting rid of him is based on his inability to stay in shape.  We will live to regret the day we give Sully a 4 or 5 year contract in excess of $10MM per year.

I agree, Sully has done more to not earn our trust than earn it.   You or I would be fired if we fell apart like this, or did not perform in certain areas.  Nothing should be done on him, without a weight clause that has provisions for cutting him if he is above 260.

Ainge knew the odds were long, prior to the series folks.   This was about lowering expectations.

“But in the playoffs,” he went on, “a lot of things have to go right. Sometimes you can go to Cleveland in the regular season and two people get injured. It’s a long season. So nothing’s guaranteed or anything like that. But when you get to the playoffs, I think matchups are huge. We might match up better with somebody else. We may match up great with a Golden State, and we may struggle with the Clippers. Matchups are huge. Different teams cause different problems.”

“There’s a big difference between regular-season basketball and playoff basketball,” he said. “I get worried that we can be taken out of our game too easily. Even (Wednesday) night against a depleted team, I feel like we’re taken out of our game too often.”

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/2016/04/bulpett_danny_ainge_honest_about_celtics_chances

Post series he said this:

“I think that was a weakness that we had going in, and we got taken out of our offense easier than we should,” he said. “Losing Avery (Bradley, hamstring) just magnified that.

“Listen, I’m not trying to disrespect the Hawks in any way. They are a good team, and we knew they were going to be a tough matchup for us. But, again, it’s not so much the result as much as we just … we had some great moments in the series, we just had a lot of droughts. I just thought we didn’t even play up to our capability, that’s all.”

That said, Ainge acknowledged the eight-game improvement from a season ago and the wins over Golden State and Cleveland.

“I really enjoyed this team,” he said. “I really enjoyed watching them play. I loved their fight. I loved their resolve and heart. It was a fun group of guys to be around.

“I just wish for them and for the coaches, they put in so much time and work that I wish it would have ended better. My expectations were not an NBA championship, but I did expect us to play better. I know everybody’s hurting tonight. It’s not what we expected.”

I think this means that some of the pieces are young guys.

“Yeah, I hope so,” said Ainge. “We’ll be working hard to try to improve the team, and we hope that we have some good choices. But we have a lot of guys that we really like and that we want to build around, and we hope that we have a lot of options.

“I hope that we make some changes, sure. Significant? I don’t know what that means, but I hope that we can make some changes to improve our team.”

One shouldn’t be concerned that having guys they “really like” will get in the way of a major move.

“You take everything into account, and you don’t get emotional about now,” Ainge said. “I feel like I have a pretty good grasp of who everybody is. I certainly don’t overreact to a bad couple of games in the playoffs or tough matchups or things like that. I’ve been around a long time in the NBA, and I’ve seen a lot of mistakes made doing that. We’ll evaluate the whole year and the whole two years with most everybody that we’ve had here, and we also have to evaluate the entire league at the same time.”

I think he is talking about Crowder not Sully, who has played poorly since 3/20/16.  So this was not one series, it was a breakdown for the later part of the season.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/splits/_/id/6624/jared-sullinger

I have heard he wants to stay here.   I bet he does, as we have put up with a lot.   Promises every year would be different.   Him acting like staying in shape was beneath him.

“For sure,” Sullinger said. “When you spend four seasons in the same area and then play for the greatest organization of all time, you see the likes of Bill Russell sitting courtside, Kevin McHale, Bill Walton, and all these people that cheer, it’s very hard to walk away from this situation.”

Sullinger averaged 10.3 points and 8.3 rebounds during the regular season, but he mostly struggled in these playoffs.

“I’ve got to do a lot of things better, but it was OK,” Sullinger said. “My window is getting smaller and smaller of constantly talking about I need to improve, I need to improve.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2016/04/28/garden-crowd-has-pumped-celtics/bmscPKQURth36p4K4E0sCJ/story.html

Hopefully, we get a high pick because that gives us options.  But I think we are better off than three years ago.   The difference, is I have never though Sully was part of the big picture.   I think we have Crowder and IT which are better than what we had three years ago.   We also have Smart, I am not crazy about KO, but I think Amir and Jerebko are solid but we need to improve bigs the most. 

Yeah, I don't think RJ is an NBA player.  He didn't really show anything this year to suggest that he has a future.  That's OK, most end-of-round guys are not NBA players.

Hunter has shown great basketball IQ, he is not a shooter though.   He was a volume scorer.  This is about what I expected out him.   I do think he will get stronger and his shot will improve.   He has some intangibles like being a great passer that can't be taught.   He is not a light's out athlete but he is long for a SG and is often in the right place at the right time.   It is bad when a guy lacks athletic ability and size, like Sully did and he had a high skill set.   He really had no room to grow so his ceiling was low.   Hunter can improve his shooting, He can improve his physique.  But I think it may take him a few years, I think it says volumes about him that he was almost always the first guy off the bench of the rookies.   That means CBS likes his game, or trusts him.