Author Topic: Olynyk and frontcourt as a whole  (Read 900 times)

Olynyk and frontcourt as a whole
« on: April 29, 2016, 09:45:31 AM »

Offline Silent Storm

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 55
Right off the bat, I realize that there are many Olynyk apologists out there and that he played with a hindering injury during the Atlanta series. He probably didn't have any business being out there with the shoulder injury, and he was more of a liability than anything else as a result.

I am dubious that his inconsistent offensive performance compensates for his lack of rebounding and defense. Yes, he improved his outside shooting this season and he helps space the floor. Having said that, there are too many instances where he is hesitant and doesn't make assertive decisions out there. He seems to lack the killer instinct required to take his game to the next level. He's too slow, too soft, and too meek. Is anyone convinced that his apparent redeeming features will prevail in the long run? Hindsight is 20/20, but I often imagine what it would be like to have the Greek Freak on this team instead of Olynyk. It's disappointing that we scouted him in Greece (http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2013/04/06/greek-freak-prospect-draws-danny-ainge-to-greece/) and then didn't pull the trigger.

This team needs a significant overhaul of the frontcourt in addition to more shooters in the backcourt. We have too many bigs who play below the rim and get stuffed down low and who cannot rebound effectively. I think Sullinger is a goner (too many outside shots to compensate for his weight issue which limits his mobility and ability to finish inside), and Al Horford had an underwhelming series and is another below-the-rim type player so I'm not sure he's worth a max contract at his age. Amir has his limitations, but I like what he brings to the table in terms of rim protection and tenacity. We need some luck on May 17th, I think we're due a top 2 pick.
You are no longer black, or brown, or yellow, or red! You are now GREEN, you are light GREEN, or dark GREEN!

Re: Olynyk and frontcourt as a whole
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 10:00:02 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Olynyk needs to be a fourth big.  He's skilled, he provides spacing, and sometimes he plays like a guy who could start.  But he can't be a guy you expect to operate as a consistent offensive option.

In that way, he's representative of our big man rotation as a whole. 

A bunch of guys who can only truly be counted on to fill a limited role for 20ish minutes a game, but who have the talent to step up into a bigger role for stretches of time when they're healthy, confident, and have it going offensively.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 10:47:09 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Sure he sometimes is frustrating with how he passes up shots, but I've noticed that if he tries to shoot it quicker than his normal motion he misses. So, when he passes up a shot I have to remind myself that he probably would have missed if he took it.

As for next year, I think Olynyk should start. When he is in the game the floor is well spaced. After seeing the team break down because we couldn't hit outside shots I think we need to add more shooting to the starting lineup. Getting it from Olynyk is a good place to start. Even if he isn't making shots the way the defense has to play him opens up shots for others. On defense he's made himself into a pretty good help defender.

Blake and Olynyk, Horford and Olynyk, Love and Olynyk, Simmons and Olynyk. All those pairs have rebounding, and shooting which is what we need going forward from our front court.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 10:51:27 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Right off the bat, I realize that there are many Olynyk apologists out there and that he played with a hindering injury during the Atlanta series. He probably didn't have any business being out there with the shoulder injury, and he was more of a liability than anything else as a result.

I am dubious that his inconsistent offensive performance compensates for his lack of rebounding and defense. Yes, he improved his outside shooting this season and he helps space the floor. Having said that, there are too many instances where he is hesitant and doesn't make assertive decisions out there. He seems to lack the killer instinct required to take his game to the next level. He's too slow, too soft, and too meek. Is anyone convinced that his apparent redeeming features will prevail in the long run? Hindsight is 20/20, but I often imagine what it would be like to have the Greek Freak on this team instead of Olynyk. It's disappointing that we scouted him in Greece (http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2013/04/06/greek-freak-prospect-draws-danny-ainge-to-greece/) and then didn't pull the trigger.

This team needs a significant overhaul of the frontcourt in addition to more shooters in the backcourt. We have too many bigs who play below the rim and get stuffed down low and who cannot rebound effectively. I think Sullinger is a goner (too many outside shots to compensate for his weight issue which limits his mobility and ability to finish inside), and Al Horford had an underwhelming series and is another below-the-rim type player so I'm not sure he's worth a max contract at his age. Amir has his limitations, but I like what he brings to the table in terms of rim protection and tenacity. We need some luck on May 17th, I think we're due a top 2 pick.
Kelly had to play in the series against ATL. Sully got fat, Zeller was bad all year, we needed Kelly to survive the series even if he was not 100% ready.

Now, if you keep in mind that Kelly will probably never be a starter and lower your expectations, it's p clear he is a solid role player.

Looking at his number per 36 mins this regular season:

i/He is a below average yet not terrible rebounder (7.3)
ii/He has diminished the number of PFs which was concern in his first two seasons (down to 4.2 from 5.8 )
iii/Excellent 3p% (40.5) with almost double the 3PAs than in his first year (5.4 from 2.9)
iv/Below average yet not insignificant defensive presence (0.9 blocks; 1.3 steals)
v/Limited turnovers (1.9 from 2.7)

Now, having said this, his playoffs numbers were worryingly bad both this year and against the Cavs last year. Overall his performance when under under pressure is not great, he still needs to polish his game, but this should not distract attention from his real enough improvements this season.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/o/olynyke01.html

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 05:33:55 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
I hope he proves me wrong, but anything we get out of KO will be a pleasant surprise to me. He's just too soft. Like all out bigs, too soft or too small. It's not rocket science, If your best lineup has JJ at Center you have problems. Keep Amir if we don't need his contract in a trade or salary for another guy, but I'm not expecting more than 15 mins a game for 60 games out of him next year. We basiclly need a whole new rotation at the 4 and 5. 

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 05:49:48 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Kelly was injured. According to most reports, significantly. That he played is a testimony to his toughness.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/