Author Topic: Fun Season, Bad Postseason Observations  (Read 615 times)

Fun Season, Bad Postseason Observations
« on: April 29, 2016, 01:51:37 AM »

Offline passesofftodj

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 20
A few thoughts:

1) This series loss is on injuries and CBS (along with a lack of talent).  Playing Sully and KO over Zeller and/or Mickey was a disaster.  I will give KO a PARTIAL pass, but I am beyond through with Sully.  His wretched defense and shooting and lazy fat body will not be missed.  Bad draft pick.  I think KO likely has limited ceiling beyond bench rotation/spot starter but he'll get another year to prove otherwise or be used in a trade.  Celtics obviously need several new bigs, maybe keep JJ and Amir for depth.

2) Injuries hurt badly but the Hawks really aren't contenders.  CBS was clearly outcoached.  His inability to adjust to the doubling of IT, the lack of ball movement and  quality high screens (too much hero ball and threes from guys who can do neither), and the lack of execution as per the regular season was severely detrimental.  Team looked almost as bad as last postseason.  The player rotations were suspect, as giving more meaningful minutes to the rookies during the season came back to haunt them as many of us thought they might.  Hopefully this is not a trend.

3) Thomas is a 6th man/bench scorer on a contending team.  Yes he did not have much help, and yes his coach did not call good plays, but the truth is he cannot score inside during playoff level basketball without several other comparable or better options.  He is better served as a volume scorer off the bench.

4) This team in general has been overachieving during the regular season just as we saw last year.  The team has a shocking lack of shooting.  Hopefully with KO and Crowder it is just injuries and missing AB was critical, but the other "shooters" just did not cut it.  RJ does not look like an NBA player to me.  Rozier does but he is raw.  I realize you cannot sustain that many problematic injuries but the effort at far too many times was just pathetic and not classic Celtics level.  This falls on Ainge for some questionable drafting and CBS for questionable regular season rotations.  Why bother having some of these guys if they cannot do better than how KO and Sully looked?

5) Marcus Smart is pretty clearly the most untouchable player on the roster.  He is probably the only one like that, barring a trade for a serious superstar (and no, not DMC).  Jerebko really had some Scott Wedman-esque moments.  I hope they keep him, he is excellent depth.  Turner was not good - too many turnovers, cannot hit a three, and missed far too many shots that he made in the regular season.

6) You have to give the Hawks credit.  They played phenomenal defense inside, Bazemore was the glue guy who stepped up, and their coaching game plan was superior.  They are more talented, experienced, and were obviously healthier.  I think they would have still won in 6 or 7 with the Celtics at full strength, though at least a couple of the losses would have been closer and a couple of the wins would have been by a wider margin.

6) These are mostly playoff observations.  The regular season had some great moments and this summer should see major changes.  It is clear this team as currently set cannot compete in the real games - yes we already knew that, but the effort in the losses was poor.  The future is exciting though, and I believe CBS and Danny will come away with a very different roster and hopefully next year they can win a round or two.  Let's face it - anything beyond 42 wins this season was a bonus anyway.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 01:57:02 AM by passesofftodj »

Re: Fun Season, Bad Postseason Observations
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 01:54:05 AM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
This summer is a make or break. We we don't get the trades we want then its over for us man. We got what 8 picks this draft? If we can't flip those then I have no hope.

Re: Fun Season, Bad Postseason Observations
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 02:08:42 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
3. Thomas is a 6th man/bench scorer on a contending team.

Ugh, not this again. Put a true primary option with him in the lineup and he is just fine as a secondary option and as a starter. The defense won't focus on him nearly as much as they did this series.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about