Author Topic: Insider request: will Celtics make big moves?  (Read 6708 times)

Re: Insider request: will Celtics make big moves?
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2016, 09:57:15 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Amir Johnson has a non-guaranteed deal, which is much more beneficial for both the Celtics and any potential trade partner.  The same is true of Jonas Jerebko.

Clarification
And for example we could trade both on draft night plus picks for Butler?

With then the Bulls having the option to use the team options to keep amir and/or jerebko??

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2016, 10:05:01 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I do not have Insider, so I did not read the article.

In any case, I see two key possibilities for the next season:

i/ we land top-20 player through FA. Then we try our best to build a contender through trades. In that scenario we get in a win now mode.

ii/ We continue rebuilding through the draft and by giving second chances to talented players  (see IT, Crowder, ET, Zeller). We still aim at having a solid playoff team, but remain flexible and avoid major commitments through trades.

Now, there are several in between scenarios: if we can get a young talented player either through trade (eg Hayward) or through FA (eg Harrison Barnes).

But the bottomline is this (and IMO it holds for several teams not just the C's): ability to land a top FA takes precedence over all other moves.

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2016, 10:10:01 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Amir Johnson has a non-guaranteed deal, which is much more beneficial for both the Celtics and any potential trade partner.  The same is true of Jonas Jerebko.

Clarification

With then the Bulls having the option to use the team options to keep amir and/or jerebko??
They arent team options. Just read Roy's posts.

Wow!!!!

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2016, 10:10:10 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Clarification

Yes, except they are not team options.

Think of it as:

"With then the Bulls having the ability to keep Amir and/or Jerebko, or waiving them and having no salary remain on their cap".

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2016, 10:13:07 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Clarification

Yes, except they are not team options.

Think of it as:

"With then the Bulls having the ability to keep Amir and/or Jerebko, or waiving them and having no salary remain on their cap".

Thank you. This clears it up

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2016, 10:15:59 AM »

Offline elcotte

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 52
It's sort of moot regarding the Celtics, however, because I don't believe any of our vets have team options.  (Rookie options are subject to a different timeline).

Amir has a team option, does he not?

You just stated in big bold blue letters, he can traded "as is". No need to actually pick up the option prior to trade, in case the team he is traded to , has the flexibility to cut him

All I care about is ,his salary for next season picked up or not, can be used to obtain say a Jimmy Butler on draft night (salary match)

Really?

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2016, 10:33:44 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I checked this thread out, but the article had been taken down. Can someone post some snippets?
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2016, 10:57:45 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Disagree on keeping Sullinger at the very least. He needs to go, like bad.

And yup, Celtics/Lakers stock you pick the Celtics. Sure the Lakers can probably land a transcendent superstar anytime, but the West is so stacked and they just fired their head coach. I don't think they will be able to compete in the long-run, and that'll eventually waste that star's years and would want out.

I think the Lakers could be in the worst position they've ever been in (in recent decades, at least). They have some nice young players in Russell, Randle, and Clarkson, and could very likely get another in this draft, but for the first time in a long time, they have no superstar to draw other players. Yeah, it's L.A., but I don't think any young-ish star in his prime wants to play on a team full of newbies that isn't going to be good for several more seasons.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis