Poll

Which Celtics player exceeded your expectations the most this season?

Isaiah
6 (22.2%)
Crowder
12 (44.4%)
AB
3 (11.1%)
Turner
6 (22.2%)
Other (name him)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: Which Celtics player exceeded your expectations the most this season?  (Read 3050 times)

Offline i believe in brad

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 30
Needed a positive spin on this.  Entire season from game 1 through game 88, who ya got?

I'm voting AB.  We knew he was a good defender but he's turned into one of the best handful of perimeter defenders in the league at this point.  I also trust him to take big shots and he can be relied on to jump start the offense with his shooting off screens.

Re: Which Celtics player exceeded your expectations the most this season?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 11:05:13 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Crowder, until his ankle injury
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 11:10:27 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
turner because i can admit that i was one of those people previously hating on him
but this season he looked legitimately like a 6th man for us

i guess the change in role allowed him to flourish better than when he was in the starting lineup

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 11:11:46 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Crowder, until his ankle injury
this.

also, a nod to AB's new found drives to the basket.  been a long time coming.  hoping he'll show us something new again next year.

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 11:18:59 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
James Young exceeded my expectations by not having the fewest minutes on the roster.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 11:19:26 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
I mean, it has to be Isaiah. Few here would think he could be an All-Star. Probably fewer would have bet on him scoring 40+ in a pivotal game at home in the post-season. Crowder is a close second since he was basically a borderline All-Star for most of the season.

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 02:01:47 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Turner for me. He seemed to really have a strong off the bench role. Crowder had some nice stretches but he fizzled after the injury.

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 02:13:21 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
Thomas and Crowder both made giant leaps. Thomas is now a top-25 NBA player and Crowder pre-injury was a borderline all-star.

Bradley and Olynyk were also showing nice progress until their respective injuries.

Smart didn't really live up to expectations but he showed some flashes in the playoffs. I think we'll probably get a good idea next year if this is just where he's going to be as a player forever or if he's capable of something more.

Sullinger put in a decent contract-year effort other than ****ting the bed against Atlanta, but ultimately I just don't think he's worth the $10M he'll likely command. We have better things to use cap space on. Likewise, Zeller is probably going to get paid, but not in Boston.

I initially thought all three rookies were a complete disaster but Rozier ended up doing some pretty interesting things towards the end of the season. I'm be curious to see what he can do in extended minutes next year.

Goodbye James Young.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 02:27:31 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Definitely Crowder.

AB was in the range of what you would expect if you look at his previous seasons. Look at his stats year by year.

ET's season was very similar to last season and he has had similar stats in Philly before.

IT scored a ton in Sacramento so I didn't find his performance surprising at all. Look at his stats in 2013-14. He shot similarly, score 20.3, and had the same assists and rebounds. There is nothing surprising about a guy who score 20 ppg in his 3rd season scoring 22 in his 5th.

I say Crowder because he really had not shown much in his career.

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 02:28:52 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Definitely Turner. I had really low expectations for the guy after last season but he won the C's a bunch of games this year. He has his limitations but for cheap I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him back if he's comfortable in his current role.

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2016, 02:56:34 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I knew IT was special - but he still impressed me - so I went with Crowder, who had a great season and I didn't think he was capable of such performances.

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2016, 04:09:08 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Felt like the season of IT this year. Last year felt like the season of Crowder. Both are awesome. Let's build in this!

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2016, 06:09:27 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Crowder got my vote.  Exceed expectations, I expect production from IT .  Crowder has turned into a very good two way sf

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2016, 06:35:13 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
IT, Crowder, AB, Smart all have shown signs of improvement and had a great season, aldo i'm torn about saying Smart had one too. Form me, he has shown more progress in the postseason, than in the whole regular season, he really stepped up.
Turner is a story for himself, at times he dominates the 6th man role, playing great D, getting to the rim or to his 10-15 ft sweet spot, but at other times he makes the dumbest passes you will ever see and let's not forget that the free throw line marks his range.
You have to agree that Terry Rozier rose a few eyebrows, a really confident rookie, you can see that he has game, i would say an elite rebounder, a good defender, and we havent seen much of his offensive game, but he is one of they guys i am looking for to have a great next season.
Hunter has had great games, he is no doubt a great shooter, but gets so lost on D, and still has to get a lot stronger in order to crack the rotation in any way.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2016, 06:42:15 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
IT

Crowder

JJ

Smart