Author Topic: This is why IT should be 6th man  (Read 1575 times)

This is why IT should be 6th man
« on: April 28, 2016, 10:13:43 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I love him, he is a great offensive weapon , but his defense isn't getting it done. Not that he is the only one , but Teague and Schoder are driving past/through him with ease. Unless we have a legit shot blocker , he can't be a starter on a contender IMO .

And this isn't about bashing Thomas, it is just a fact . You can hide him at times , but over a 7 game series he is going to have a hard time defending other PG's that can score.

I would try to upgrade at the PG or SG spot(Butler) and move Isaiah back into the 6th man role .

It's not his fault because he is the best we have at the moment , and AB injury hurts trying to hide him on defense .

Re: This is why IT should be 6th man
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 10:17:40 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I agree that his defense is terrible, and I agree that his role is ideally as a 6th man.

But unless we seriously upgrade our offense this offseason, IT has to be a starter for us to have any kind of competent offense. We just don't have the offensive talent to not start him right now. Unless we add something like Durant, he's still probably going to have to be our starter.

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 09:10:00 AM »

Offline passesofftodj

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 20
I agree.  I have felt that the whole time but was hoping to be wrong after this series.  He played best with Smart on the floor, which helps a little at hiding his d. 

I get that he had no help on his drives due to the injuries and horrid shooting and they were collapsing inside so there are excuses offensively but Teague just blew by him over and over and IT really struggles on d in a series.  The team cannot afford 2-3 other defensive first guards/wings starters to hide IT's d because then there will not be upgraded shooting and post-season o. 

He would be a great 6th man, but that may have to wait another year until the roster is more fully upgraded.  The team needs a star two way 2 or 3 as well as a two way big plus a superior 3 pt shooter and an additional rotation shot creator to be a contender.

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 09:22:40 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I agree. But it's too late to go back on it. CBS should of never changed "it"

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 09:58:48 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Well, time will tell.  I personally think the 6th man is somewhat overrated, as after the first quarter or so, rotations are usually pretty jumbled anyway. 

But they should be able to sell him on it if they want, especially with Boston's long history of great 6th men (Ramsey, Havlicke, McHale). 

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 10:03:52 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
IT in the playoffs this year in 6 games against the second best defense in the league:

24.2 points ... 5 assists ... 3 rebounds ... 39.5 / 28.3 / 80.9 shooting ... 7.7 FTA

Yeah, those shooting numbers are ugly.  But he had basically no help outside of an occasional outburst from Evan Turner or Marcus Smart.

As for his defense, I think it's fine.  He's a team defender.  You can't expect him to be any more than that.  This team's issues are not on defense, for the most part.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 10:09:29 AM »

Offline elcotte

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 52
IT in the playoffs this year in 6 games against the second best defense in the league:

24.2 points ... 5 assists ... 3 rebounds ... 39.5 / 28.3 / 80.9 shooting ... 7.7 FTA

Yeah, those shooting numbers are ugly.  But he had basically no help outside of an occasional outburst from Evan Turner or Marcus Smart.

As for his defense, I think it's fine.  He's a team defender.  You can't expect him to be any more than that.  This team's issues are not on defense, for the most part.

I agree. Not to mention that nobody did a good job on the Hawks guards and we were missing Bradley. It's not about IT being 6th man....not on this team anyway.

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 10:10:49 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I love him, he is a great offensive weapon , but his defense isn't getting it done. Not that he is the only one , but Teague and Schoder are driving past/through him with ease. Unless we have a legit shot blocker , he can't be a starter on a contender IMO .

And this isn't about bashing Thomas, it is just a fact . You can hide him at times , but over a 7 game series he is going to have a hard time defending other PG's that can score.

I would try to upgrade at the PG or SG spot(Butler) and move Isaiah back into the 6th man role .

It's not his fault because he is the best we have at the moment , and AB injury hurts trying to hide him on defense .

Ehm, since when are we a contender?
As for IT, a lot depends on the supporting cast. Add a rim protector (and AB) in the roster and he will be more than fine.

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 10:13:48 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
C'mon, the guy was an all-star this year.  He deserves to start.  What he needs is some offensive help around him, not being relegated to a sixth man. 

Celtics struggled mightily on the offensive end this series & IT4 had little to no help at times.  ATL knew this & were keying in on him.  To have the numbers he still managed to have (shooting percentage be [dang]ed) is pretty remarkable.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 10:20:45 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
A sixth man in the same idea that Manu was a sixth man. 

A top level offensive player who just happens to come off the bench as a offensive spark.

The only problem is that the team would need at least two other offensive weapons to have in the starting lineup they currently do not have.

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2016, 10:21:35 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
A sixth man in the same idea that Manu was a sixth man. 

A top level offensive player who just happens to come off the bench as a offensive spark.

The only problem is that the team would need at least two other offensive weapons to have in the starting lineup they currently do not have.

Yeah.

The Celts offense is bottom-of-the-league terrible without Isaiah.

So for now, no, he can't be a sixth man.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2016, 10:36:32 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
A guy who can scorer 24.2 point per game in a playoff series, for a team that can't score at all needs to be starting. If anything we need to add to the lineup to compliment him not move him to the bench.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2016, 10:43:26 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
IT should be the starter.  I am not sold on him unless we put a super team of scorers around him though.  We really need to outscore our opponents when Isaiah is in there.  This was Red's method was to score a lot of points and then just hold them down defensively to less points. Obviously you can do that when you have all the talent in the world.  We don't.

Teams stop IT we are dead.  We dont have enough defense or offense.

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2016, 10:43:44 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559

I agree whole heartedly...I love IT as a shot of energy off the bench.

The problem is the C's have a bunch of players that would be more suited to the bench roll, including Crowder, AB, Sully, KO, and Amir.

The Celtics need to get all the half dollars, and change a few of them into folding money.

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2016, 10:49:01 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I am not sold on IT period. I think if we had a couple scorers at other positions and marcus starting we'd be better.  If we have Isaiah and add another piece or two and get a really good defensive center its  the same thing.   The thing is is we have Marcus at pg.  One of them is going to go maybe.

We need a really good defensive center if we have IT at pg.  Amir is ok but not nearly good enough.  Amir had a decent playoff playing off IT double teams but it was not enough.  We also need another option to score period on the wing.