Author Topic: GROUSBECK: Celtics advantage summer cap space two max free-agents  (Read 14800 times)

Re: GROUSBECK: Celtics advantage summer cap space two max free-agents
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2016, 03:44:45 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
The true advantage that the C's have is the combination of assetts and cap space. A lot of other teams wil have cap space but how many have the kind of assetts that the Celtics do? Philly comes close but all of their assetts lie somewhere in the future. We have an all star and some all-league defensive players right now and we have future assetts as well.

So we trade for Butler. Then to to Durant and say, we have Thomas, Butler, and Crowder and enough money to bring in you and Horford. Go to Horford and tell him the same. Next year's starting lineup is Thomas, Butler, Durant, Crowder, Horford.

It's so easy.   8)
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2016, 04:33:13 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Why should Wyc be embarrassed? He said, "There could be some fireworks" he didn't say, "there will be fireworks" or "I guarantee fireworks" or "if there are not fireworks please post firework pictures on internet message boards every time my name gets mentions from now to eternity."

Wyc, like us saw we had a real chance to make something happen and said so honestly.

Because he's transparently milking his fan base to sell tickets? Similar to the "KG might be back for the playoffs" refrain we heard when the team was selling playoff tickets.

Wyc is marketing. He does it pretty shamelessly. Yet, it doesn't stop many fans from buying in.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2016, 04:37:27 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
What about Howard.

Howard simply isn't a top-notch player anymore.  I would take him on Amir's contract, something like 1 year guaranteed with an option for year 2...and I wouldn't go over $15M per with him.

I'd go higher and even give him 2-3 years, but only if we already landed Durant.

Durant makes this team the best in the East by himself. Howard anchoring the D (plus a high pick) might make them a contender.

And as long as we don't go nuts with years, we can afford that gamble.

And remember, Howard means keeping the pick. Getting Griffin or Butler or the likes does not. That does matter.

« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2016, 10:32:57 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Deja vu..

Greedy owners. Well, at least they got paid for our playoff appearance and first round exit. That is the ultimate goal for our team right?

Get on treadmill. Make $. Promise fireworks. Repeat.

Ten years since 07' coming up.

Pretty much.

LOL at anyone who takes Wyc's season ticket marketing campaign seriously.

I'm quite sure that he honestly hopes to add a couple of stars, whether or not they can pull it off is another story.  The same was true in previous seasons, but they have a better chance this year.

I'm pretty sure he'll tell the fans whatever he thinks will pry their wallets open.

Some will buy in, and that's their right.

As for me, fool me once ...
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2016, 11:08:35 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537
Yawn.

We've heard this talk from Grousbeck before and nothing of substance has happened. It's the basketball version of crying wolf. He has zero credibility with me on what's coming in the off-season.

Must be getting ready to sell season tickets.
Wyc seriously needs to shut up and let Danny do his job.  If they don't succeed in luring an All Star here (likely in my opinion) all he's going to do is look foolish once again.

« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2016, 11:20:44 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I'll be very disappointed if Boston comes out of this offseason with no significant upgrades.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2016, 12:10:14 AM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
I'll be very disappointed if Boston comes out of this offseason with no significant upgrades.

me too
we need to trade/sign players and upgrade our positions
that will mean players will be cut/traded from our roster
maybe young, sully, zeller, holland  out

but i dont know about trading for butler without meeting durant beforehand
as durant could join another team that is more ready to win like spurs or GSW
if we trade for butler with gauging durant's interest in us
we could very well lose a lot of assets and be merely a 2nd round playoff team rather than a true contender

« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2016, 12:46:48 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537
Again I would just point to what's happened in recent off seasons.  How many of these guys actually change teams?  And how many teams with all stars give them up?

I'd still go all in to try to get Durant but he can realistically choose his destination.  Landing him is a long shot.

« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2016, 12:58:04 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Deja vu..

Greedy owners. Well, at least they got paid for our playoff appearance and first round exit. That is the ultimate goal for our team right?

Pretty much.

I'm quite sure that he honestly hopes to add a couple of stars, whether or not they can pull it off is another story.  The same was true in previous seasons, but they have a better chance this year.

I'm pretty sure he'll tell the fans whatever he thinks will pry their wallets open.

If you watch that video, it was reserved and was not an attempt to sell tickets.  I get being skeptical, but it does not apply here.  Hopefully, he will have a lot to sell in a couple of months.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 01:15:35 AM by knuckleballer »

« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2016, 01:09:23 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

If guys take their player options, there could be around 60 quality free agents on the market this summer.  Even if Ainge strikes out of the big names, he could significantly improve the team by replacing Zeller with Ian Mahinmi, Zaza Pachulua or Timofey Mozgov.  How much could we improve our shooting by signing Mirza Teletovic or Kevin Martin?  What about Marvin Williams, Kent Bazemore, O.J. Mayo or Ryan Anderson?

Mike

« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2016, 02:13:32 AM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Deja vu..

Pretty much.

By 10 years since 07 do you mean 10 years since all those promises came true launching us into 5 years of completely legitimate contention?

When the KG era kicked off, we all knew that "the window" would be closing soon. Realistically, we had a three year window to win, well 2 if you count the KG injury. As soon as the Miami super team was formed we went from contender to playoff team. Once Allen joined them...well, the rest is history.

You could argue that they could have made one last run if Shaq stayed healthy and we kept Perk (that team was scary good mid-season), but we all know how that turned out.

The whole ten year thing is me asking the fans that blindly defend every move we make- how many summers are you willing to get promised fireworks only to be delivered Amir Johnson for 12 million, a first round exit, and promised the same thing each following year?

And if you really want to talk about our "five years of competely legitimate contention," if Danny had moved KG and Pierce when he wanted to, and not made the playoffs instead (see the trend here), we would have aquired the likes of Bledsoe/Jordan just for KG, and nearly the same haul that we got from Brooklyn for Pierce. Alone. That "fifth year of completely legitimate contention (getting killed by the Knicks?) really hurt Danny's ability to gather assetts. Those of you that utter the words "treasure trove" would be drooling if you saw what Danny could have done if he wasn't held back by ownership.

So, I'm sorry if it feels like to me that ownership values making the playoff$ over a patient and proper rebuild.

It was ownership that "wanted to keep the band tigether" when our entire season rode on the health of a 36 yr old giant's achilles (made playoff$/first round exit).

It was ownership that pushed for the IT trade when Danny was quoted (paraphrasing) that we could have waited to make that trade in the summer (Accelerated rebuild/made playoff$, first round exit).

Then came the "summer of Love"...Fireworks! Two max contracts!! (We get Amir, make playoff$, first round exit).

Oh, and did I mention that Danny tried to use his "treasure trove" to move what, only six picks to move up a couple spots in the draft? How did that work out?

So, here we are again. Summer time blues and fireworks.

Someone get me a sandwich. Quack quack! ;)
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2016, 07:26:06 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If guys take their player options, there could be around 60 quality free agents on the market this summer.  Even if Ainge strikes out of the big names, he could significantly improve the team by replacing Zeller with Ian Mahinmi, Zaza Pachulua or Timofey Mozgov.  How much could we improve our shooting by signing Mirza Teletovic or Kevin Martin?  What about Marvin Williams, Kent Bazemore, O.J. Mayo or Ryan Anderson?

All those big guys would be improvements over Sully/Zeller in rim protection.  Zaza in rpg as well.

But I think people are hoping Ainge hits it out of the park.   I have no doubts we will have some improvements.   Will they be big or not is the question.   Will our plan A work, of will we have to live with plan B or C, when A does not work out.

« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2016, 07:47:15 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
Deja vu..

Pretty much.

If you watch that video, it was reserved and was not an attempt to sell tickets.  I get being skeptical, but it does not apply here.  Hopefully, he will have a lot to sell in a couple of months.

Could not disagree with you more. It is nothing more than a marketing pitch.

« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2016, 07:48:36 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
Deja vu..

Pretty much.

By 10 years since 07 do you mean 10 years since all those promises came true launching us into 5 years of completely legitimate contention?

When the KG era kicked off, we all knew that "the window" would be closing soon. Realistically, we had a three year window to win, well 2 if you count the KG injury. As soon as the Miami super team was formed we went from contender to playoff team. Once Allen joined them...well, the rest is history.

You could argue that they could have made one last run if Shaq stayed healthy and we kept Perk (that team was scary good mid-season), but we all know how that turned out.

The whole ten year thing is me asking the fans that blindly defend every move we make- how many summers are you willing to get promised fireworks only to be delivered Amir Johnson for 12 million, a first round exit, and promised the same thing each following year?

And if you really want to talk about our "five years of competely legitimate contention," if Danny had moved KG and Pierce when he wanted to, and not made the playoffs instead (see the trend here), we would have aquired the likes of Bledsoe/Jordan just for KG, and nearly the same haul that we got from Brooklyn for Pierce. Alone. That "fifth year of completely legitimate contention (getting killed by the Knicks?) really hurt Danny's ability to gather assetts. Those of you that utter the words "treasure trove" would be drooling if you saw what Danny could have done if he wasn't held back by ownership.

So, I'm sorry if it feels like to me that ownership values making the playoff$ over a patient and proper rebuild.

It was ownership that "wanted to keep the band tigether" when our entire season rode on the health of a 36 yr old giant's achilles (made playoff$/first round exit).

It was ownership that pushed for the IT trade when Danny was quoted (paraphrasing) that we could have waited to make that trade in the summer (Accelerated rebuild/made playoff$, first round exit).

Then came the "summer of Love"...Fireworks! Two max contracts!! (We get Amir, make playoff$, first round exit).

Oh, and did I mention that Danny tried to use his "treasure trove" to move what, only six picks to move up a couple spots in the draft? How did that work out?

So, here we are again. Summer time blues and fireworks.

Someone get me a sandwich. Quack quack! ;)

Egg-zactly.

Not buying it.

Offline YoungOne87

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 65
DeRozan and KD

AB and JJ go to OKC for Ibaka

We cash in the treasure chest for Cousins while keeping Smart and Crowder to lead the bench.

IT, DeRozan, KD, Ibaka, Cousins
Smart, Crowder, Mickey

Fill in the rest.

derozen makes no sense in this line up, rather have smart or bradley play the 2.
There is only one ball to shoot...