Author Topic: GROUSBECK: Celtics advantage summer cap space two max free-agents  (Read 14798 times)

Re: GROUSBECK: Celtics advantage summer cap space two max free-agents
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2016, 10:26:38 AM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Deja vu..

Greedy owners. Well, at least they got paid for our playoff appearance and first round exit. That is the ultimate goal for our team right?

Get on treadmill. Make $. Promise fireworks. Repeat.

Ten years since 07' coming up.
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2016, 10:32:54 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Deja vu..

Greedy owners. Well, at least they got paid for our playoff appearance and first round exit. That is the ultimate goal for our team right?

Pretty much.

LOL at anyone who takes Wyc's season ticket marketing campaign seriously.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2016, 10:35:32 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
If you can get Durant, you obviously get Durant.  But if he's not in the picture and we get Simmons, do we try offering max deals to older vets like Horford and Dwight?  Or would our focus then need to change to only going after younger guys to team with Simmons long term?  I wouldn't think it would make sense to invest big money in a 30something in that situation.

Mike

« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2016, 10:56:04 AM »

Offline jbarnies

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 2
I see a lot of ideas that end up with Durant playing PF for us.  I don't see why he would sign here to play out of position.  He is going to play SF where ever he plays.  If by some miracle, we get Durant, something would need to be done with Crowder but that is no show stopper.  Crowder would be fine off the bench and could probably still get 20+ minutes at multiple positions.  Or we could trade him.  But you don't play Durant out of position just to get Crowder on the floor.

Signing two max players that are both worthy of it would be tough.  Trading to fill the cap seems more likely based on who will be on the market.
I see Durant/Crowder the same as Barnes/Green on GSW, they're just forwards. I've always thought that when we win 18, Crowder would be in a Posey role though, tbh.

« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2016, 11:04:24 AM »

Offline jbarnies

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 2
I can't believe some of the hate Wyc receives, although in could be tongue-in-cheek. He said fireworks which is of course what he wants, not to mention what Ainge wants. But it takes at least two to tango. Ainge isn't going to make a big move and ultimately hurt the team, and this is a good thing. Stay patient, our time is coming.

« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2016, 01:16:55 PM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
I know there are a lot of good people on this board good with the numbers.  Do the C's have enough cap space to keep Amir Johnson, and add two max players?  If so, I wonder if the C's go the route of getting Butler and trying to lure Durant and then trade for Okafor?  Because if you add Okafor, you need someone with some D to protect him...

« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2016, 02:22:05 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I know there are a lot of good people on this board good with the numbers.  Do the C's have enough cap space to keep Amir Johnson, and add two max players?  If so, I wonder if the C's go the route of getting Butler and trying to lure Durant and then trade for Okafor?  Because if you add Okafor, you need someone with some D to protect him...
AJ would have to go to make $ work for 2 max guys They are around 33 million before cutting JJ and AJ. After those cuts 51 enough for two near max guys.

« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2016, 02:36:56 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Deja vu..

Pretty much.

By 10 years since 07 do you mean 10 years since all those promises came true launching us into 5 years of completely legitimate contention?
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2016, 02:41:34 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Deja vu..

Pretty much.

I'm quite sure that he honestly hopes to add a couple of stars, whether or not they can pull it off is another story.  The same was true in previous seasons, but they have a better chance this year.

« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2016, 02:48:37 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
If we by some miracle add two max guys, I think one of them will be acquired in trade. Other than Durant and Horford I'm not sure what other guys I would be happy maxing out to come here.

What about Howard. I know I know everyone is against this idea. I am too for a long contract. But what about 1 year maybe with an option for a second year. This way he gets to make the max and has a chance at an even bigger max. And we are not stuck with him 4 years from now when he plays 20 games and sucks and is one of the highest paid guys in the league. If other teams only offer him a long deal at close to the max he might just take our 1 year max deal. There are only a handful of players ot get by FA or trade so we likely will have money left over anyways. And even at 25 mins a game he would answer a huge problem for us.

Lots of cap space is not much of an "advantage" this summer, since a lot of teams will have cap space for at least one max free agent.

It gives us the advantage that we can sign one guy like KD and say that we can trade for another guy by not making the other team match salary. Or just sign one max and 2 other non max but high paid guys. Having more to spend is certainly an "advantage."

Deja vu..

What do you want them to say? We expect nothing good will ever happen?

Also the 10 years comment is just silly. in year 1 we won the title. Are you really mad that the ownership couldn't bring in another KG and Ray in the summer of 08? We were contenders for many of those years and now after a few years are an up and coming team with more assets then we did in 07 when we got KG and Ray. This anger at the ownership is outrageous. Can anyone remember the 15 years before Wyc bought the team? This teams is a lot of things, but mismanaged it is not. And there are a lot of teams that are. Blaming the team for one or two guys not signing here is just silly.

« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2016, 02:50:46 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Deja vu..

Pretty much.

By 10 years since 07 do you mean 10 years since all those promises came true launching us into 5 years of completely legitimate contention?

Or the 4 years since we were one quarter away from the NBA Finals, contained within said 10 year interval?

« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2016, 02:52:59 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton

Lots of cap space is not much of an "advantage" this summer, since a lot of teams will have cap space for at least one max free agent.

It gives us the advantage that we can sign one guy like KD and say that we can trade for another guy by not making the other team match salary. Or just sign one max and 2 other non max but high paid guys. Having more to spend is certainly an "advantage."

---

I will give you this: It does really suck that the year where everything falls into line for us, the first time in decades we have money to spend, everyone else does too. I would much rather we have only money for 1 max and most everyone else has no money than we have money for 2 but all the contenders have money for 1. That does really really suck.

----

To add to that, it sucks even more that we have money for 2 max guys and you could make a really strong case given the cap fluctuation that there is only one guy worth the max.

« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2016, 02:54:33 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
What about Howard.

Howard simply isn't a top-notch player anymore.  I would take him on Amir's contract, something like 1 year guaranteed with an option for year 2...and I wouldn't go over $15M per with him. 

« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2016, 03:12:58 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Deja vu..

Pretty much.

He's a good owner, but he should be embarrassed by how transparent this is. I think he wants to improve the team, but realistically he knows there's no guarantee of that. That hasn't stopped him from promising fireworks.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2016, 03:22:24 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
Why should Wyc be embarrassed? He said, "There could be some fireworks" he didn't say, "there will be fireworks" or "I guarantee fireworks" or "if there are not fireworks please post firework pictures on internet message boards every time my name gets mentions from now to eternity."

Wyc, like us saw we had a real chance to make something happen and said so honestly.