Author Topic: GROUSBECK: Celtics advantage summer cap space two max free-agents  (Read 14803 times)

Re: GROUSBECK: Celtics advantage summer cap space two max free-agents
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2016, 02:52:45 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Yawn.

We've heard this talk from Grousbeck before and nothing of substance has happened. It's the basketball version of crying wolf. He has zero credibility with me on what's coming in the off-season.

Must be getting ready to sell season tickets.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2016, 02:57:53 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Lots of cap space is not much of an "advantage" this summer, since a lot of teams will have cap space for at least one max free agent.
I can't watch the vid ("content not available in your location") but as a general reaction to reading this thread, I agree with Pho.
Cap space on its own means very little this summer. 18 teams will have a cap space of 30 or more millions.
I can see cap space being used as an asset when discussed with elite FAs ("if you sign first, then we bring X to play with you ") but beyond that it means very little - there is at best a  dozen of elite UFAs (I'm being charitable here, counting Whiteside, Conley, Batum and Al Jefferson as 'elite')
I expect several players getting an 'undeserved' max due to excessive supply and many fanbases getting disappointed.
Bottomline: I don't believe KD is coming until I see it happen.

Links:

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2016, 03:33:19 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Yawn.

We've heard this talk from Grousbeck before and nothing of substance has happened. It's the basketball version of crying wolf. He has zero credibility with me on what's coming in the off-season.

Must agree with you...Sure Wyc and Co. brought us the 2008 Title...but they immediately Cheaped out the next season---leaving us with bare bones of a bench---putting all the pressure on KG up front---until getting Old Shaq and J.O.....His previous Summer talk has been wishful thinking/borderline lying to sell season tickets.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2016, 03:35:20 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Yawn.

It's that time of year again!
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2016, 04:01:44 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
Currently picturing Wyc in a Katy Perry outfit singing "Firework."

Mike

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2016, 04:41:31 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I see a lot of ideas that end up with Durant playing PF for us.  I don't see why he would sign here to play out of position.  He is going to play SF where ever he plays.  If by some miracle, we get Durant, something would need to be done with Crowder but that is no show stopper.  Crowder would be fine off the bench and could probably still get 20+ minutes at multiple positions.  Or we could trade him.  But you don't play Durant out of position just to get Crowder on the floor.

Signing two max players that are both worthy of it would be tough.  Trading to fill the cap seems more likely based on who will be on the market.

What about playing Durant at SF and playing Crowder out of position at PF to get Crowder on the floor?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2016, 05:26:03 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
If we by some miracle add two max guys, I think one of them will be acquired in trade. Other than Durant and Horford I'm not sure what other guys I would be happy maxing out to come here.
It will be a Miracle if KD or DeRozan. Cousins and Butler are the ones who may come our way.
We have to trade for them but we have the assets to do it.  KD will sign and max contract with a player opt after next year just like LeBron does. DeRozan will do the same or go to LA.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2016, 05:30:10 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
If we by some miracle add two max guys, I think one of them will be acquired in trade. Other than Durant and Horford I'm not sure what other guys I would be happy maxing out to come here.
It will be a Miracle if KD or DeRozan. Cousins and Butler are the ones who may come our way.
We have to trade for them but we have the assets to do it.  KD will sign and max contract with a player opt after next year just like LeBron does. DeRozan will do the same or go to LA.
We should just stop talking about Cousins.  By firing Karl, Sac is saying they are committed to Cousins, as they should be.

Butler is also unlikely as he is the one the Bulls should build around, not Rose.

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2016, 06:25:12 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
We should just stop talking about Cousins.  By firing Karl, Sac is saying they are committed to Cousins, as they should be.

Butler is also unlikely as he is the one the Bulls should build around, not Rose.

With the ammo Ainge has built, you can't stop talking about anything.  You're wide open.  You've got cap space, young talent, and every pick imaginable & valuable.

Everybody is on the table.  Your GM set this up perfectly.

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2016, 06:33:55 PM »

Offline bigal534

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 56
HORFORD IS A BUM.

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2016, 06:47:43 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

With the ammo Ainge has built, you can't stop talking about anything.  You're wide open.  You've got cap space, young talent, and every pick imaginable & valuable.

Everybody is on the table.  Your GM set this up perfectly.
but lack of fas or players to trade for

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2016, 07:07:15 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I think rather than shooting for the starts and not getting them in free agency, I feel that we should offer max contracts to middle tier players. That way we improve the team marginally.

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2016, 07:07:27 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Yawn.

For once, I agree with you coach. Everyone remembers "fireworks" right? Lol
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2016, 07:13:00 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Yawn.

For once, I agree with you coach. Everyone remembers "fireworks" right? Lol

And. ..." No new taxes ! ".

And ......"Read my lips "

I did NOT have sex with that girl..... ;)

« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2016, 10:06:20 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I see a lot of ideas that end up with Durant playing PF for us.  I don't see why he would sign here to play out of position.  He is going to play SF where ever he plays.  If by some miracle, we get Durant, something would need to be done with Crowder but that is no show stopper.  Crowder would be fine off the bench and could probably still get 20+ minutes at multiple positions.  Or we could trade him.  But you don't play Durant out of position just to get Crowder on the floor.

Signing two max players that are both worthy of it would be tough.  Trading to fill the cap seems more likely based on who will be on the market.

What about playing Durant at SF and playing Crowder out of position at PF to get Crowder on the floor?
Sure, you can play Crowder at PF but only for short periods in my opinion.  I don't see it working out so well if we play big minutes with a 6'-6" PF.

If we can get Durant, we get Durant.  Crowder would have to go the the Bench probably and get his minutes a multiple positions.  That is not a bad thing to have a good player on your bench with that kind of versatility.  Or you trade Crowder.  He is a valuable talent on a decent contract.  How ever it works out, I don't worry about Crowder if I can get Durant.