Author Topic: Hawks (3-2) at Celtics (2-3) Round 1 Game 6 4/28/16  (Read 52621 times)

Hawks (3-2) at Celtics (2-3) Round 1 Game 6 4/28/16
« on: April 27, 2016, 09:49:39 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Atlanta Hawks (3-2) at Boston Celtics (2-3)
Thursday, April 28. 2016
8:00 PM ET
Round 1 Game #6 Home Game #3
TV: TNT, CSNNE, FSSE, Sportsnet One
Radio: 98.5 Sports Hub, 92.9 FM The Game
TD Garden

Probable Starters

PG: Isaiah Thomas............................................ SG: Evan Turner

C:  Amir Johnson

SF:  Jae Crowder.............................................. PF: Jonas Jerebko

Celtics Reserves
Marcus Smart
RJ Hunter
Jared Sullinger
Jordan Mickey
Terry Rozier
James Young
Tyler Zeller
John Holland
Kelly Olynyk

Injuries
Avery Bradley (hamstring) out
Isaiah Thomas (ankle) probable

Head Coach
Brad Stevens

Probable Starters

PG:  Jeff Teague ..................................................... SG:  Kyle Korver

C:  Al Horford

SF:  Kent Bazemore ..........................................  PF:  Paul Millsap

Hawks Reserves
Kriis Humphries
Mike Scott
Lamar Patterson
Tim Hardaway Jr
Walter Tavares
Mike Muscala
Thabo Sefalosha
Kurt Hinrich
Tim Hardaway
Dennis Schroder

Injuries
Tiago Splitter (hip)  out 

Head Coach
Mike Budenholzer

Game Notes
The series now moves back to Boston with the Celtics needing to regroup and find a way to deal with the Hawks defense and also to find a way to get their offense back on track.  They were in this same position going into game 3, down 2 games to none and fighting for their playoff lives.  They came back to tie the series then and will need that same kind of fight to once again tie the series and force a game 7. 

Their task may be even more daunting with Isaiah Thomas hobbled with an ankle injury that sent him to the locker room at the start of the 4th quarter of game 5.  He tweaked it in game 4 and then again in game 5 but has said that he will definitely play in this game.  The question is how effective can he be while fighting the ankle injury. 

In game 5, the Hawks employed the same strategy as they did in games 1 and 2 in Atlanta.  They doubled and tripled Isaiah and dared the rest of the team to beat them.  Isaiah Thomas called out his teammates after the game 5 blowout loss saying that the Hawks are disrespecting his teammates and that they need to make plays and hit shots to keep that from being effective. 

The Celtics are trying to avoid losing their 3rd straight playoff series, something that hasn't happened since their first 3 series from 1948-1952.  The Hawks are trying to beat the Celtics after losing the last nine playoff series between these two teams.   So far, the home team has won every game in the series.   The Celtics have to hope that this trend continues as they hope to get a win on their home court to even the series. 

Along with Isaiah's ankle,  Jae Crowder is still dealing with the ankle injury that has affected his shooting.  He has been working hard at trying to get back on track, but he is still struggling.  Avery Bradley is still out with the hamstring injury that has sidelined him since game 1.   Kelly Olynyk returned to the lineup but has not been able to regain his pre-injury form.   The Hawks are basically healthy other than Tiago Splitter who has missed the whole series. 

Key Matchups
vs
Amir Johnson/Jonas Jerebko vs Al Horford/Paul Millsap
The Celtics bigs have got to defend well against the Hawks big men.  Millsap and Horford can hit from outside and are also very strong going to the basket. Millsap wasn't a big factor in games 1-3 but in game 4 he came up huge with 45 points until Brad Stevens put Marcus Smart on him to limit him to 4 points over the last 14 minutes and no points in overtime.   In game 5, once again,  the Hawks bigs were very big in their win and the Celtics couldn't come up with a way to counter them. 

vs
Isaiah Thomas vs Jeff Teague
Teague is a handful for anyone to guard but the Celtics did a decent job of matching his scoring and then some in games 3 and 4 with Isaiah having more room to score.  Once again in game 5 the Hawks found a way to limit him to just 7 points on 3 of 12 shooting.  Isaiah needs to score and play well for the Celtics to have a chance.   For that to happen, his teammates have to step up and hit their shots. 

Honorable Mention
Jae Crowder vs Kyle Korver
If Korver is open,  he is going to  make the Celtics pay.  He has been hitting from long range and is a very dangerous scorer.  He can put up a lot of points in a hurry.  Jae needs to limit Korver's open looks while at the same time, knock down some shots on the other end. 

Brad Stevens vs Mike Budenholzer
So far, this has been a chess game between the two coaches with Brad Stevens clearly getting the upper hand in games 3 and 4.  Budenholzer seemed to get the upper hand in game 5.  It's Brad's turn now.    Coaching is going to be very important in this game with both coaches trying to make adjustments to counter the adjustments made by the opposing coach both going into the game and throughout all 4 quarters. 

Keys to the Game
Start Strong and Don't Let Up! -  For the first two games, the Celtics came out flat and then had to come back from big deficits.   They couldn't get the win after coming back from 19 down against the Hawks, losing by just 1 point.  In game 2 they had a historically horrible start and could not overcome that to even get close.  In game 5 they once again started slow but the Hawks struggled as well but the Hawks caught fire and the Celtics couldn't get going.   The Celtics have got to start strong and they have to play hard throughout the game with no let up.   

Defense
- Defense wins games.  It is the key to winning every game.   Every player must step up and work harder to get stops as a team.   The Hawks definitely raised their defense to the next level in their home games and the Celtics need to step up their game and play tough team defense to disrupt the Hawks offense in this game. 

Focus on Offense
- The Celtics have to find someone with a hot hand who is able to score.  The Celtics also have to realize that if the 3 pointers aren't falling, they need to go to the basket.   The Celtics have to get into the paint more, especially if they continue to struggle from beyond the arc.   They have to focus on hitting shots whether inside or out.  If others can step up and hit their shots, it will take some of the pressure off of Isaiah so he can once again be effective. 

Be Aggressive
- The Celtics must be the team that plays harder and that wants this win more, especially to start the game and then keep it up until the final buzzer.  They have to be aggressive in diving for loose balls, in going to the basket, in getting stops on the defensive end, and in going after rebounds.  They have to play harder and be more aggressive from start to finish.  Their best hope to beat the Hawks is to play harder and with more energy. 

Rebound - The Celtics need to put out the extra effort to grab rebounds.  The Hawks aren't a great rebounding team and yet they beat the Celtics on the boards in all 3 of their wins.   The Celtics won the battle of the boards in their 2 wins.  It will be key for the Celtics to box out and fight for every rebound to prevent 2nd chance points for the Hawks and to give themselves extra possessions.  Much of rebounding is effort and the Celtics must put out the extra effort to beat the Hawks to the rebounds. 

X-Factors
Injuries - The Celtics are already missing Avery Bradley and if Isaiah Thomas is limited in any way by his ankle injury, it may be too much for the Celtics to overcome.   Jae has not been the same since coming back from the ankle injury and Kelly Olynyk has not been effective since returning from the shoulder injury.  The Celtics need every one of them to be effective and overcome the limitations that those injuries cause. 

Home Court- The Celtics have played very well at home winning 19 of 22 since mid-January.  They were able to overcome an 0-2 start to even the series with 2 wins at home.   They need to feed off the energy of the home crowd and the friendly confines of the TD Garden and hopefully the crowd will once again rattle the Hawks enough for the Celtics to get another home win. 

Officiating - I say this every game but the officiating is an x-factor in every single game.  We saw this first hand in game 1.  The officials favored the Hawks the entire game and even the Hawks fans admitted it in their forums.  The league admitted to making 3 crucial bad calls and non-calls against the Celtics in the final 2 minutes of the 1 point loss. I believe if the game was called fairly and competently the Celtics would have won it.  Game 2 was slightly one sided toward the Hawks.  Games 3 and 4 were decently called but slightly tilted toward the Celtics.  The officiating in game 5 was decent as well.  Hopefully the officiating will be fair and they will let them play in this one. 

Re: Hawks (3-2) at Celtics (2-3) Round 1 Game 6 4/28/16
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 09:50:32 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
TP FLCELTSfan!!!

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, BBall Gods,  do not let this be the last game thread of the year!!!

Thanks FLCelts for all your great work all year.

After this game thread, I  see at least five more in the very near future!!!

Go Cs!

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 09:57:19 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP csfansince60s for being the first to post in the game thread!   

I'd love to make game threads all the way through June!!!! 

Gooooooooooooooooooooooo Celtics!!! 

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 10:00:01 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
ugh, just a few minutes too late to be first.

TP for the thread FL!

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 10:04:06 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
TP for the thread man.

I honestly think that the celtics can pull out another close victory at home. They can just feed off that green energy. Hopefully smart has another good game, and we can probably count on IT also. My wildcard is that Jerebko will keep up his higher level of play, and that crowder finds the bucket a little more then he had been.

Get rid of sully the bum. I honestly can't think of any great sequences he's had this series (well that 3 from the top of the arc was cool,) but man he is bad.
#JKJB

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 10:13:59 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
TP for the thread man.

I honestly think that the celtics can pull out another close victory at home. They can just feed off that green energy. Hopefully smart has another good game, and we can probably count on IT also. My wildcard is that Jerebko will keep up his higher level of play, and that crowder finds the bucket a little more then he had been.

Get rid of sully the bum. I honestly can't think of any great sequences he's had this series (well that 3 from the top of the arc was cool,) but man he is bad.

Ahem, maybe you should read up on FLCeltsFan a bit more  ;) (Jeff had a great front page article a couple of weeks ago on her impressive dedication to our beloved Cs).

Great job once again FLC - hopefully you will have a lot more threads to create this season!

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 10:22:24 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
TP. Let's win!
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 10:28:08 PM »

Offline bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK
We need to WIN...GO CELTICS

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 10:29:25 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Go big or go home

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 10:37:54 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
Watching Charlotte beat Miami in this game 5 has made me surprisingly upset.  Don't get me wrong, I'm always glad to see Miami lose, and Charlotte is a pretty easy team to root for...but man, that could've been us.

Like that could've been us right now going up 3-2 on Miami.  It's also frustrating to see Charlotte play like they did in game 5 and then compare that to how we played in our game 5?  It's like...why can't we do that?  And then I remember, oh that's right, we can't shoot.

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 10:40:59 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Watching Charlotte beat Miami in this game 5 has made me surprisingly upset.  Don't get me wrong, I'm always glad to see Miami lose, and Charlotte is a pretty easy team to root for...but man, that could've been us.

Like that could've been us right now going up 3-2 on Miami.  It's also frustrating to see Charlotte play like they did in game 5 and then compare that to how we played in our game 5?  It's like...why can't we do that?  And then I remember, oh that's right, we can't shoot.

If they can win tomorrow , there is still another shot at winning on the road ......

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 10:41:52 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
First "Must Win" game of the season! Go Cs!!
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 10:44:35 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
TP for the thread man.

Ahem, maybe you should read up on FLCeltsFan a bit more  ;) (Jeff had a great front page article a couple of weeks ago on her impressive dedication to our beloved Cs).

Great job once again FLC - hopefully you will have a lot more threads to create this season!

Sorry I kind of forget that not everybody refers to everybody as man. I kind of use it regardless of the gender connotation. My girlfriend has kinda just gotten used to when I call her man.

So I'm sorry, I meant no disrespect or anything.
#JKJB

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2016, 11:12:06 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
This game is a must-win game for the Celtics.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2016, 11:38:31 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
TP for the thread man.

Sorry I kind of forget that not everybody refers to everybody as man. I kind of use it regardless of the gender connotation. My girlfriend has kinda just gotten used to when I call her man.

So I'm sorry, I meant no disrespect or anything.

I hate the Internet (and texts!) sometimes because there is no personality behind what one says (I tried with the wink face). Of course I know you meant no disrespect and I am sure FLC appreciates your kind words!

And don't worry, I am 36 and still call everyone dude - drives my mom crazy when I do it to her.

We are all on here for the same reason and let's hope for a positive result tomorrow night for the Cs.