Author Topic: "And all the negativity that's in this town sucks!"  (Read 5632 times)

"And all the negativity that's in this town sucks!"
« on: April 27, 2016, 05:38:29 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
That's the famous Rick Pitino quote.

I don't write or even read much here anymore because there is nothing worse in my honest opinion than unfounded negativity.

I am not concerned about the Celtics' present or future. I am not giving up on winning this series. It was extremely bad luck to not get at least the #4 seed. There have already been plenty of good things that occurred this season that it won't matter if Atlanta wins in game six. I don't think they will, but I am still waiting for the crystal ball to arrive from UPS.

My two favorite posters here Chambers and Rollie pretty much articulate my view. Our team is decimated from losing Bradley and having too many other key players banged up at the same time.

The only player I have given up on is Jared Sullinger. Just look at him. This is not the professional softball league where you could hide him at first base.

That's my negativity.

I think it is amazing that we didn't get swept. If we do win game six, that will be gravy. We had problems early in the season winning home games. It was too bad because it forced us to go on a huge run which came up just short of home court advantage.

I remember quite a number of great games this year. I liked the Houston game. We destroyed them completely. Of course the win over Golden State meant that no matter what, this season had proved something. We weren't expected to go far anyway and at a minimum the Celtics have put up a much stronger showing than last year against the Cavs.

This is what I see posted too often that is flat out wrong:

* Injuries are no excuse.

The doubts on Crowder are irrational. He is not at full strength. The same applies to Kelly Olynyk and Amir during the year due to plantar fasciitis. Remember Isaiah in last year's playoffs? Injuries are no excuse? Okay, so when he shoots badly playing on a broken butt he had no excuses, but when he plays great when healthy, that means he figured it out?

Health is everything.

We are a team on the upswing. We are very lucky to be in the top ten of teams in regards to the future.

Rozier made a play last night that was amazing. It was extremely acrobatic. In general, he has really turned it on and surpassed all young players except for Marcus Smart.

And I will end by addressing the Marcus Smart situation. I can't believe how down people are on him for offense. Thankfully such people at least admit he is one of the best defenders in the league.

Smart is the best example of how injuries skew stats. Ask Butch Hobson about that. He was making an error per game or every other game. He was Chuck Knoblach throwing the ball away way too often.

How about this for hope for Smart's offense and potential as a starter on a contending team. I am looking at his per 36 minute stats.

Most people point at his low percentage shooting as an insurmountable flaw. He shot 33.5% his rookie season for three pointers. Isn't that about the minimum that one must shoot for them to be effective?

Marcus didn't come into the league as an offensive force. Look at his free throw percentage and attempts. This year he averaged one more attempt and bumped his % from 64.6 to 77.7. He figured out how to drive to the basket and get fouled. He is not Rondo at the free throw line. Was the 77.7% a fluke?

People want to box in Marcus Smart as the worst shooter in the league. That is unfounded negativity. The worst shooters do not shoot 33.5% on threes and 77.7% at free throws. I admit to cherry picking his stats.

His two point percentages are bad, but they are not extremely bad. With better shot selection, picking up fouls because he's not afraid like Rondo to shoot free throws, if he can actually be allowed to complete a third year of NBA play, all these things point towards Marcus Smart not being a long-term liability on offense.

He shot two point field goals at 41 and 42.7 his first two years. Sure, he needs to practice, practice, practice shooting. He can do it. He could still end up as the best player drafted in his year.

For rebounding, he came up with 4.4 and this year 5.5. Those are great numbers.

His assist to turnover ratio has been 4.1 to 1.8. He also averages two steals and half a block. And for all the great defense Marcus Smart provides, he rarely fouls out.

I don't understand the negativity. We are a major player going into the off-season. We might even win the next two games and then what will the naysayers say? Will they expect people to forget what they tend to say in general and mostly after a loss or a tough stretch of games?

I picture us all in a huge bar talking sports. A few people I like what they have to say because over time they have been more right than wrong and you can always expect from them a thoughtful pu pu platter of Celtics basketball knowledge.

Last night was awful. It was shall we say, painful. However, it was just one game. These guys aren't going down without a fight.

Re: "And all the negativity that's in this town sucks!"
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 05:43:51 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
TP agree for most part with you
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 05:56:38 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Feel better now?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 06:39:47 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Solid post. TP
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 07:04:42 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
A tp for you but PLEASE never use a pit  :-X no line or mention of him again

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 09:58:10 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
Feel better now?
Thanks. That's very kind of you. That's extremely thoughtful to ask. Some of us get so jaded on the internet and expect most responses will be hit and run attacks or other forms of antisocial behavior. So, I salute you for your humanity.

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 10:05:41 PM »

Offline passesofftodj

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 20
Good post, I just don't see how this team will win game 7 on the road in Atlanta.

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 06:29:06 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
Good post, I just don't see how this team will win game 7 on the road in Atlanta.

Thanks, although I would give us better odds than that if we win game six tonight. One team unfortunately has to lose. No one wants the season to end. It's not like we are down 0-3. I am not assuming tonight is a win. All it takes is one game to break the home court advantage. That could happen in a game seven. We are very close to the upset. Who beat Golden State when they were closing in on an undefeated home court season? If we hold serve tonight, yes, anything can happen in game seven. If it turns out to be the predictable home team won every game, then so be it. We have a big draft pick coming in and excellent team karma.

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 06:44:53 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
uggghhh ::). I can not stand that we have fans believing the reason we've played poorly is because of injuries. it's more like an excuse than a reason. the truth is we started playing poorly before we beat GS, specifically Crowder.

and it's only gotten worse in the last week of the reg. season and in the playoffs. one of the things everyone told me before the season started was we have great depth. so the injury excuse is just that an excuse.

this was at best a team that got bounced in the 1st if other teams in the east were healthy.

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 07:13:16 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
That's the famous Rick Pitino quote.

I think Slick Rick was found to be have been the one lacking.

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 07:18:03 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I hardly think it's being "negative" to say this isn't a championship team.  We're in a good spot for the future and we're up against a Hawks team that could very easily make it to the ECF.  Milsap, Teague and Horford are all basically All-Stars and their coach is almost as good as ours.  They're specifically strong in all of our areas of weakness and they have home court advantage.  If we lose to them, such is life.

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 07:24:09 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I hardly think it's being "negative" to say this isn't a championship team.  We're in a good spot for the future and we're up against a Hawks team that could very easily make it to the ECF.  Milsap, Teague and Horford are all basically All-Stars and their coach is almost as good as ours.  They're specifically strong in all of our areas of weakness and they have home court advantage.  If we lose to them, such is life.

exactly! it's like if you don't say they're a great team who's going to win the next 10 championships you're being negative.

I think Ainge has put us in position to dramatically change our roster, but it's also reliant on trades happening. so far I don't think anyone has liked our assets... but that might have more to do with the guys coming out not being the game changers everyone is looking for. also if trades don't happen I think Ainge could be looked at differently by ownership.

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2016, 07:37:19 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think Boston fans in general are actually very positive.

Just look at how many times the team has been serenaded with "LET'S GO CELTICS!" even as they're getting beaten on their home floor in an elimination game.

Boston fans tend to be much more emotionally invested, and in general care more and spend more of their time talking and thinking about the state of their hometown teams, than other fans.  That's the sense I get, anyway.

Sometimes that makes it seem like there's a lot of "negativity" among Boston fans.  I think it's just that people care, and when you care you've got more to lose when things go wrong, so you worry more about how things might not go the way you hope, or you worry about things not getting better in the future.

That's fine, so long as it doesn't go overboard.

Around here, more often than not, it really doesn't, except perhaps sometimes in the game threads at the height of intensity of a discouraging loss.

But there are plenty of stalwart optimists around here, too, who will tell you things are great even as the team is getting blown out in game 7.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2016, 07:55:50 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
uggghhh ::). I can not stand that we have fans believing the reason we've played poorly is because of injuries. it's more like an excuse than a reason. the truth is we started playing poorly before we beat GS, specifically Crowder.

and it's only gotten worse in the last week of the reg. season and in the playoffs. one of the things everyone told me before the season started was we have great depth. so the injury excuse is just that an excuse.

this was at best a team that got bounced in the 1st if other teams in the east were healthy.
Avery Bradley is really valuable because he can defend Teague and make 3s which are two of our biggest challenges this series. Losing AB really hurts.

Id say our best shooters are probably
KO
AB
IT
Crowder
Jerebko

with no one else being able to stretch the floor.

When you lose 1 of exactly 5 competent shooters and two others are reduced to the level which Jae and Kelly are, then that really hurts you as a team.

I think all year long people have said Jae is maybe our best two way player, followed by AB, then probably followed by Kelly.

You cant lose those 3 guys and expect the team not to take a massive massive hit.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.