Author Topic: Tim Bontemps predicts Jimmy Butler will be traded to Boston  (Read 33325 times)

Re: Tim Bontemps predicts Jimmy Butler will be traded to Boston
« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2016, 08:38:29 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Bontemps also mentioned that the Clippers could trade Blake Griffin to Boston.

I like Butler a lot and would love him in Boston. At the same time I'm wary of giving up too much for him. I'd really like to keep Crowder because they had a good relationship in college. I also worry that he isn't a great shooter and thus doesn't do much to space the floor. I don't want to give up all our assets without the ability to continue to get better. I don't think adding Butler makes us a title contender so I'd like to keep a quality pick or two, in order to have an avenue to improve.

I'd probably rather upgrade the front court than the 2, but I know that when a star comes open we need to pounce, regardless of position.

Agreed, our biggest weakness is our bigs, 1-3 we are decent. Of course we could upgrade any position but to go all in for Butler would be a waste.

« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2016, 08:40:34 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Jimmy Butler for a 42 win Bulls team:  20.9 points, 5.3 rebounds, 4.8 assists, 1.6 steals, 45%/31%/83%
Ricky Davis for a 33 win Celtic team:  19.7 points, 5.3 assists, 4.5 rebounds, 1.2 steals, 46%/32%/79%

Neither made the playoffs.   Butler had former MVP Derrick Rose, 6x All-star Pau Gasol, last year's ROY runnerup Nikola Mirotic and a solid bench of players like Taj Gibson. 

I wouldn't mind bringing in Butler, but I'm not overpaying for premium-brand Ricky Davis.

Jimmy Butler for a 50-win Bulls team: 20.0 points, 5.8 rebounds, 3.0 assists, 1.8 steals, 46.2%/37.8%/83.4%

Ricky Davis Career stats:  13.5 points, 3.3 assists, 3.5 rebounds, 1 steal 45%/36%/78% in 29.8mpg

Jimmy Butler Career stats:  13.6 points, 2.6 assists, 4.5 rebounds, 1.4 steals, 45%/33%/81% in 31.2mpg

Dude cmon now. You know you're just using career stats to have a (lame) reason to not want butler. You know jimmy didn't get a ton of time in his earlier years, and was only getting PT for his defense, right?
Yeah, I also know I've seen articles from Bulls fans who said his defense cratered once he was given a larger offensive role. 

Honestly, I haven't watched enough of Butler to really have a major opinion one way or the other.  Did you guys watch a ton of Bulls games this year?  I just know what I've read about him.  I'm fine with bringing him in, but I wouldn't overpay for him. 

As a 23 year old Ricky Davis put up Butler-esque stats of 20.6 points, 5.5 assists, 4.9 rebounds and 1.6 steals... It was his 5th season.  He was an effective player for a number of years.

This was Butler's 5th season.  The 26 year old has game.  Davis was a bit of a headcase (though I've heard Butler has a little of that in him as well) and Butler is widely believed to be a better defensive player (though playing for a team with an elite defensive identity impacted that a bit).   I'm not saying Davis was better than Butler.  I'm just saying that we've seen guys put up big stats for losers in the past.   I wouldn't mind trading for Butler if the price is right.  I wouldn't hold my breathe on him being the franchise player the team needs.
Your problem is instead of reading articles written about Butler from credible news sources or watching Bulls games, you are getting your information from uninformed and biased Bulls fans on blog sites. That's like trying to learn more about the Celtics players by listening to Celtics fans that post on Celticsblog. If people did that and took BBallTim seriously they would believe that Rondo was better than Jordan. If those people listened to triboy they would think Jordan Mickey was better than Bill Russell. If they listened to our group of young posters that love tanking they would have been convinced Ainge was an incompetent boob for not going all Hinkie. If they listened to some others they would be convinced Isaish Thomas isn't an All-Star caliber talent and should be coming off the bench. If they listened to you they would have been convinced that the Nets pick wouldn't have stood a chance at landing in the top ten of the lottery.

Time to start getting your information from better sources LB. Jimmy Butler is ten times the player Ricky Davis ever was.
You say he was 10x the player Davis ever was.  We never saw prime Davis play on a loaded Bulls team lead by defensive mastermind Tom Thibs.  We never saw Butler play on a weak Celtic/Cavs team with no defensive identity. 

It's pretty likely Butler is better than Davis was.  I'm just pointing out that statistically, they were on a par with one another.  And beyond that, my overall point with this stuff is that too often fans build their perceptions on in-the-moment face-value small-picture analysis.   We're all guilty of it on some level.  Isaiah Thomas is basically the same exact player he was on the Kings.  What's change is his situation.  Avery Bradley is basically the same exact player he was two seasons ago for a bottom 3 team.  What's changed is that now he's doing it on a back-to-back playoff team.   We have to consider that role/situation/surrounding talent can impact a player's success.  The reverse is possible.   Butler has played well on a Chicago team that didn't make the playoffs this year.  He probably can help us.  He doesn't seem like a guarantee to me, though.  He could end up disappointing.  I wouldn't be totally comfortable going all-in on acquiring him.     I really doubt he's a franchise player.   For the right price and a desired role of 2nd/3rd banana, I'd be pretty excited about adding him.

Btw, some of you should be doing back-flips that I'm "hating" on a player who doesn't wear Celtic green. 

« Reply #77 on: April 27, 2016, 08:44:05 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Jimmy Butler for a 42 win Bulls team:  20.9 points, 5.3 rebounds, 4.8 assists, 1.6 steals, 45%/31%/83%
Ricky Davis for a 33 win Celtic team:  19.7 points, 5.3 assists, 4.5 rebounds, 1.2 steals, 46%/32%/79%

Neither made the playoffs.   Butler had former MVP Derrick Rose, 6x All-star Pau Gasol, last year's ROY runnerup Nikola Mirotic and a solid bench of players like Taj Gibson. 

I wouldn't mind bringing in Butler, but I'm not overpaying for premium-brand Ricky Davis.

Jimmy Butler for a 50-win Bulls team: 20.0 points, 5.8 rebounds, 3.0 assists, 1.8 steals, 46.2%/37.8%/83.4%

Ricky Davis Career stats:  13.5 points, 3.3 assists, 3.5 rebounds, 1 steal 45%/36%/78% in 29.8mpg

Jimmy Butler Career stats:  13.6 points, 2.6 assists, 4.5 rebounds, 1.4 steals, 45%/33%/81% in 31.2mpg

Dude cmon now. You know you're just using career stats to have a (lame) reason to not want butler. You know jimmy didn't get a ton of time in his earlier years, and was only getting PT for his defense, right?
Yeah, I also know I've seen articles from Bulls fans who said his defense cratered once he was given a larger offensive role. 

Honestly, I haven't watched enough of Butler to really have a major opinion one way or the other.  Did you guys watch a ton of Bulls games this year?  I just know what I've read about him.  I'm fine with bringing him in, but I wouldn't overpay for him. 

As a 23 year old Ricky Davis put up Butler-esque stats of 20.6 points, 5.5 assists, 4.9 rebounds and 1.6 steals... It was his 5th season.  He was an effective player for a number of years.

This was Butler's 5th season.  The 26 year old has game.  Davis was a bit of a headcase (though I've heard Butler has a little of that in him as well) and Butler is widely believed to be a better defensive player (though playing for a team with an elite defensive identity impacted that a bit).   I'm not saying Davis was better than Butler.  I'm just saying that we've seen guys put up big stats for losers in the past.   I wouldn't mind trading for Butler if the price is right.  I wouldn't hold my breathe on him being the franchise player the team needs.
Your problem is instead of reading articles written about Butler from credible news sources or watching Bulls games, you are getting your information from uninformed and biased Bulls fans on blog sites. That's like trying to learn more about the Celtics players by listening to Celtics fans that post on Celticsblog. If people did that and took BBallTim seriously they would believe that Rondo was better than Jordan. If those people listened to triboy they would think Jordan Mickey was better than Bill Russell. If they listened to our group of young posters that love tanking they would have been convinced Ainge was an incompetent boob for not going all Hinkie. If they listened to some others they would be convinced Isaish Thomas isn't an All-Star caliber talent and should be coming off the bench. If they listened to you they would have been convinced that the Nets pick wouldn't have stood a chance at landing in the top ten of the lottery.

Time to start getting your information from better sources LB. Jimmy Butler is ten times the player Ricky Davis ever was.
You say he was 10x the player Davis ever was.  We never saw prime Davis play on a loaded Bulls team lead by defensive mastermind Tom Thibs.  We never saw Butler play on a weak Celtic/Cavs team with no defensive identity. 

It's pretty likely Butler is better than Davis was.  I'm just pointing out that statistically, they were on a par with one another.  And beyond that, my overall point with this stuff is that too often fans build their perceptions on in-the-moment face-value small-picture analysis.   We're all guilty of it on some level.  Isaiah Thomas is basically the same exact player he was on the Kings.  What's change is his situation.  Avery Bradley is basically the same exact player he was two seasons ago for a bottom 3 team.  What's changed is that now he's doing it on a back-to-back playoff team.   The reverse is possible.   Butler has played well on a Chicago team that didn't make the playoffs this year.  He probably can help us.  I wouldn't be totally comfortable going all-in on acquiring him.     I really doubt he's a franchise player.   For the right price and a desired role of 2nd/3rd banana, I'd be pretty excited about adding him.

Btw, some of you should be doing back-flips that I'm "hating" on a player who doesn't wear Celtic green.

Who does backflips over a ridiculous comparison. Rickey Davis would have been a good defensive player under Thibs? Keep doubling down on this ridiculous I am loving it.

« Reply #78 on: April 27, 2016, 08:53:34 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
my overall point with this stuff is that too often fans build their perceptions on in-the-moment face-value small-picture analysis.

Newsflash: No one needs to have their perceptions corrected by someone who once gushed about the basketball potential of Anthony Bennett.

Mike

« Reply #79 on: April 27, 2016, 08:58:10 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
my overall point with this stuff is that too often fans build their perceptions on in-the-moment face-value small-picture analysis.

Newsflash: No one needs to have their perceptions corrected by someone who once gushed about the basketball potential of Anthony Bennett.

Mike

Dont forget Stauskas and Ben Mclemore

« Reply #80 on: April 27, 2016, 09:43:40 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

It's pretty likely Butler is better than Davis was.  I'm just pointing out that statistically, they were on a par with one another.  And beyond that, my overall point with this stuff is that too often fans build their perceptions on in-the-moment face-value small-picture analysis.   We're all guilty of it on some level.  Isaiah Thomas is basically the same exact player he was on the Kings.  What's change is his situation.  Avery Bradley is basically the same exact player he was two seasons ago for a bottom 3 team.  What's changed is that now he's doing it on a back-to-back playoff team.   We have to consider that role/situation/surrounding talent can impact a player's success.  The reverse is possible.   Butler has played well on a Chicago team that didn't make the playoffs this year.  He probably can help us.  He doesn't seem like a guarantee to me, though.  He could end up disappointing.  I wouldn't be totally comfortable going all-in on acquiring him.     I really doubt he's a franchise player.   For the right price and a desired role of 2nd/3rd banana, I'd be pretty excited about adding him.

As you usually do, you'll ignore most of the legitimate questions that arise from some of your sweeping statements, but you're confusing me here.

What loaded bulls team are you talking about?
Which players currently on the Bulls make the team 'loaded?' at 40 year old Pau Gasol or a post 3 knee injuries Derrick Rose?

Again, Butler was a top 10 scorer and was All NBA defense first team.
That's a top 10-15 player in the world and you're trying to compare him to Ricky Davis...

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #81 on: April 27, 2016, 09:47:03 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Choosing Hoiberg over Butler.  Good luck with that, Chicago.

It is not choosing Hoiberg over Butler.  It is choosing rebuilding or going all-in on Butler + Company again.  They didn't make the playoffs this year, remember that.

If Butler could get them multiple Nets picks plus a few young players from Boston (like Smart and Olynyk), you make that trade.  Simple as that.

Lol - multiple Nets picks along with Smart and KO? That isn't happening.

That's what Chicago should be holding out for, if they are smart.  Maybe a deal doesn't get done between two good GMs unless they find a third team bring into the deal and fleece.

In any trade, the other team should be asking for more than you would be happy to give up.  If it is easy for you to agree, they didn't ask for enough or they desperately needed to get a deal done.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #82 on: April 27, 2016, 10:08:43 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

It is not choosing Hoiberg over Butler.  It is choosing rebuilding or going all-in on Butler + Company again.  They didn't make the playoffs this year, remember that.

If Butler could get them multiple Nets picks plus a few young players from Boston (like Smart and Olynyk), you make that trade.  Simple as that.

That's what Chicago should be holding out for, if they are smart.  Maybe a deal doesn't get done between two good GMs unless they find a third team bring into the deal and fleece.

In any trade, the other team should be asking for more than you would be happy to give up.  If it is easy for you to agree, they didn't ask for enough or they desperately needed to get a deal done.

To be fair, I would be uncomfortable with one BKN pick along with Smart and KO, so you can understand why I would laugh off multiple BKN picks. I always just assumed Butler would be cheaper than Cousins and we could get him at good value. If they are going to cost the same or if Butler is more expensive, then the decision is easy. I am perfectly happy with our guard/wing rotation as is and believe we could fill a hole pretty easily in FA if we deal one or more of those pieces away.

« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2016, 10:18:32 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I really like our guard rotation, and would rather use our assets for a big, but if we can get Butler for the right price we might have to pull the trigger.

Does anyone think we could get Butler without using the Nets pick?  Maybe something like a package involving Bradley, Kelly, both our other 2 firsts, maybe the restricted rights of Zeller and/or Sully, and Rozier for Butler.  Even that could be a bit of an overpay.

Then use the Nets pick, the NG contracts of Amir and JJ in a 3 team deal with Anthony going to the Cavs, and Love here.   Use other lower assets to include if need be.

For someone like Cousins or Griffin it would probably take a combination of assets I mentioned above so you could only do 1 big trade.

Now with Butler and Love maybe that's enough to convince Durant to sign, and Howard to sign on the cheap. Haha

« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2016, 10:35:05 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Love isn't leaving Cleveland if he keeps producing this offseason and I think he will.  Plus, I'd honestly rather have Simmons or Ingram, although we certainly can't count on that. 

I really hope Bradley, KO, Dallas, Bos 16, Bos 18 and 76ers 2nd rounder this year is enough for Butler.  KO and not drafting Zizic would hurt, but Danny's probably not drafting Zizic anyway

« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2016, 11:06:28 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Bontemps also mentioned that the Clippers could trade Blake Griffin to Boston.

I like Butler a lot and would love him in Boston. At the same time I'm wary of giving up too much for him. I'd really like to keep Crowder because they had a good relationship in college. I also worry that he isn't a great shooter and thus doesn't do much to space the floor. I don't want to give up all our assets without the ability to continue to get better. I don't think adding Butler makes us a title contender so I'd like to keep a quality pick or two, in order to have an avenue to improve.

I'd probably rather upgrade the front court than the 2, but I know that when a star comes open we need to pounce, regardless of position.

As much as I like smart I would build a Butler package around nets pick3-5 and smart.

Something like smart+ Amir+ Hunter+ nets + mavs + 35+ pick in 40s

I've said it in many other posts but I love the idea of AB as a 6th man. The relationship IT and AB have to go along with Butler and Crowder gives a foundation for greatness. The league is going small and those 4 would be great together.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2016, 11:07:41 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

To be fair, I would be uncomfortable with one BKN pick along with Smart and KO, so you can understand why I would laugh off multiple BKN picks. I always just assumed Butler would be cheaper than Cousins and we could get him at good value. If they are going to cost the same or if Butler is more expensive, then the decision is easy. I am perfectly happy with our guard/wing rotation as is and believe we could fill a hole pretty easily in FA if we deal one or more of those pieces away.

If I were Sacramento, I'd be wanting three Nets picks, Smart, Olynyk, and more if I were interested in dealing Cousins.

If I were Ainge, I would say no to what I would ask for if I were the Bulls or Kings.  It's a test of just how much Ainge thinks the Celtics need to consolidate assets and how strongly he believes you need to have a superstar to win a title.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2016, 11:10:30 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Only a prediction. Unless Bulls get "paid", won't trade him

3rd or 4th pick, Celts pick, all 2nd round picks except 31st or 35th for Butler

We keep mavs and either 31 or 35 pick

So final trade

To Bulls: Rozier, amir all picks above for butler
Bulls will want Crowder or Smart IMO.

I offer them Bradley and if that is not enough, they can KEEP Butler.

Smitty77

« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2016, 11:13:20 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

I respect you LarBrd33, but come on man.  Rose had a 13.5 PER last year.  He is a SHELL of the player that was GIFTED undeservingly, the MVP years ago.  That is not even fair.

Smitty77

« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2016, 11:16:22 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Thank you for the numbers.  But don't forget...his defense is stellar and his motor is unquestioned.

I also wouldn't overpay...but he would be dynamite here.

Stating that his defense is stellar is quite an overstatement IMHO.  He had the 11th best DRPM at his POSITION.  He had the 125th best DRPM overall!!!!1

Smitty77