Author Topic: Tim Bontemps predicts Jimmy Butler will be traded to Boston  (Read 33359 times)

Re: Tim Bontemps predicts Jimmy Butler will be traded to Boston
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2016, 01:30:14 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I like our guards as constituted.  Isaiah is the guy and Avery is really a perfect #2. Plus Smart, Rozier, Turner etc... I don't think we need to do much with our guards. We could use a really lights out shooter but I'm not sold on Butler. He's good though.

We miss Avery right now but if Avery isnt going to be healthy that's a problem especially when guys like Rj can't even see the court apparently even when he's hurt.

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2016, 01:30:29 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Jimmy Butler for a 42 win Bulls team:  20.9 points, 5.3 rebounds, 4.8 assists, 1.6 steals, 45%/31%/83%
Ricky Davis for a 33 win Celtic team:  19.7 points, 5.3 assists, 4.5 rebounds, 1.2 steals, 46%/32%/79%

Neither made the playoffs.   Butler had former MVP Derrick Rose, 6x All-star Pau Gasol, last year's ROY runnerup Nikola Mirotic and a solid bench of players like Taj Gibson. 

I wouldn't mind bringing in Butler, but I'm not overpaying for premium-brand Ricky Davis. 

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2016, 01:33:25 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
He's a more durable Bradley and better distributer.  A better Ricky Davis is a good comparison.

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2016, 01:40:22 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Jimmy Butler for a 42 win Bulls team:  20.9 points, 5.3 rebounds, 4.8 assists, 1.6 steals, 45%/31%/83%
Ricky Davis for a 33 win Celtic team:  19.7 points, 5.3 assists, 4.5 rebounds, 1.2 steals, 46%/32%/79%

Neither made the playoffs.   Butler had former MVP Derrick Rose, 6x All-star Pau Gasol, last year's ROY runnerup Nikola Mirotic and a solid bench of players like Taj Gibson. 

I wouldn't mind bringing in Butler, but I'm not overpaying for premium-brand Ricky Davis.

Thank you for the numbers.  But don't forget...his defense is stellar and his motor is unquestioned.

I also wouldn't overpay...but he would be dynamite here.

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2016, 01:41:03 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30

He did miss 15 games though and they did go 5-10 in those games.  He was a big part of the team, had he not got hurt, they may have actually made the playoffs.  I'll give you Gasol, but Rose is absolutely terrible now.  Butler is not a #1 guy by any means, but he is better then a premium Ricky Davis.  Realistically he's a great #2 guy that you hope can help bring in a great #1 guy. 
do it

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2016, 01:44:06 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
He's a more durable Bradley and better distributer.  A better Ricky Davis is a good comparison.

He would have to be a WAY better Ricky Davis then.

Butler's career highlights and awards:
2× NBA All-Star (2015–2016)
NBA Most Improved Player (2015)
2× NBA All-Defensive Second Team (2014–2015)

Davis' career highlights and awards:
"Wrong Rim Ricky"

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2016, 01:44:34 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I'd much rather not add Dwight, even though in a vacuum, he's exactly what we need.  I want the team to be a bunch of type-A, chip-on-their-shoulder guys and solid, all-around guys.  The only exception I would make on that is Ben Simmons, because I think Stevens would do work with him and he's young enough to be molded a bit.

So yes to players like: Butler, Durant, Simmons, Ingram, Bender, Conley, maybe Batum, maybe Horford.

The kind of guys I don't want are people who don't pass, are poor at defense, stop ball movement and/or are inefficient with their shot selection.  So no to: Whiteside, Howard, Cousins, Rudy Gay, Greg Monroe, resigning Sullinger, drafting Valentine, Jordan Clarkson, Ryan Anderson, Brook Lopez.

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2016, 01:44:36 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Only a prediction. Unless Bulls get "paid", won't trade him

3rd or 4th pick, Celts pick, all 2nd round picks except 31st or 35th for Butler

We keep mavs and either 31 or 35 pick

So final trade

To Bulls: Rozier, amir all picks above for butler
Bulls will want Crowder or Smart IMO.

I think Crowder and Smart for Butler is a bargain for the C's.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2016, 01:54:15 PM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
Things to keep in mind on Butler:

1) He's 26 years old.
2) He'll make an average of $19 million over the next four years. (By comparison, if we sign Horford to his max we'd pay him an average of $26.8 million over four years.)

For the love of everything good and holy, let's not compare Butler to Ricky Davis. Butler is a gritty, hardnosed defender who also happens to be one of the best offensive players in the league. He'd be a perfect fit for this team.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2016, 02:05:10 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Hoiberg is a bad coach then. I haven't watched the bulls too much of late but like Jimmy Butler.  Under Thibs they were different.  Butler and Rose's style of play has really suffered under Hoiberg.

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2016, 02:06:16 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I thought it was interesting that Mannix mentioned that they were in on Bradley Beal. I wonder if the C's will attempt to work out a sign and trade or just offer him the max in free agency. Adding Beal would allow us to move one or two of our guards for a front court upgrade.

As to comparing Ricky Davis to Butler. Butler is one of the best wing defenders in the entire NBA, Ricky Davis was not.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2016, 02:06:39 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

Jimmy Butler for a 50-win Bulls team: 20.0 points, 5.8 rebounds, 3.0 assists, 1.8 steals, 46.2%/37.8%/83.4%

Butler is more than capable of being a top-3 option on a legitimate contender (and he was the #1 on a 50-win team last year). His defense is also very good, although I will admit I didn't watch him play much this year.

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2016, 02:09:27 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

Wow.  That is scary.  TP.  Did Butler also shoot at the wrong basket to try to get a triple double?  ;)

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2016, 02:10:40 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

I'm not sure Butler is even a Paul George-level star but he's a heck of a lot better than Ricky Davis.  At minimum he's a better version of Avery.

Mike

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2016, 02:23:33 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Is the rebounds/assists swap a typo or done intentionally to make the lines seem more similar?  Also I'm pretty sure Ricky Davis was traded out of town midway through the season you're citing.