Author Topic: Jaylen Brown or Jamal Murray?  (Read 19426 times)

Re: Jaylen Brown or Jamal Murray?
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2016, 04:38:58 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I like Murray much better. He's a great scorer both on the ball and off the ball. CBS will have a field day running him off multiple screens, he can catch + shoot but then he can also make a play off the dribble or a quick pass if the shot isn't there. CBS has never had a guy who can do that - AB doesn't have the playmaking, IT doesn't have the length to get the shot off, nobody else is a good enough shooter. He just seems to be legitimately good at basketball.

Brown is far, far away from making an impact. He just doesn't know how to score efficiently right now, he is not a good shooter, he is a disappointingly average defender given his tools. I don't see how he's going to playable on a playoff team this year with his total lack of shooting, defense, BBIQ, every single thing you need from a role player. He needs to go to a rebuilding team that can play him through his growing pains.

« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2016, 05:13:27 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
We need scorers and shooters. Murray is both of these things. Brown won't ever be a good shooter. And I really like his athleticism, but if he can't shoot I don't think he's gonna be helpful.

dont' we also need rebounding and some more defense?  (you can never have enough)

Where will Murray play also?? Draft him 3-4 to come off the bench as the 6th man?

Brown is a better "fit" to fill in the missing gaps but Murray is a nice shooter

sigh, only if you could combine both players into one.   Then it would be a 3 way race for #1

At the end of the day, though, you score more points than the opponent to win.

We saw the Atlanta series. We get taken out of our entire game plan when Isaiah is in trouble. It's not gonna change unless we add more scorers to this team. Guys that can take the burden off Isaiah, so when he has the ball they aren't doubling and tripling him every time. Defense and rebounding is great, but this team has the defense. The rebounding, sure we could work on that, but that's fixable through free agents. We're not gonna use a top 3 pick on a rebounder and dunker who can't otherwise score.

You draft BPA. And Murray is the BPA between him and brown.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2016, 05:58:09 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Murray for me.  Athleticism is easy to find, shooting is not.

« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2016, 06:06:19 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
For a team that shoots the ball as poorly as the Celtics do, to even think about squandering their prize pick on a bricklayer like Brown is ridiculous. I prefer to trade the pick but given the choice between these two, it's no contest.

« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2016, 07:54:50 PM »

Offline Coast2Coast

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
I like Brown, but I'd go with Murray and include Bradley in a deal. His shooting ability and backcourt versatility would be nice combos with what we currently have.  6 of the top 10  prospects for the 2017 draft are SF or PF. I think there's a great chance the 2017 Brooklyn swap could be a top 3 again.

« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2016, 06:13:33 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Can someone link us to some videos of Jaylen Brown proving he's worthy of being a top five pick?  I haven't seen anything from Brown that makes me believe he deserves consideration.  His stats are alright, but does 14-5-2 with 3 turnovers a game on .43 % shooting and under .29 % from three really move the needle that much?  He reminds me of Moe Harkless.

At best he seems like a gamble in a draft where we're in position to take a sure thing.  Murray, Hield, Simmons, Dunn, Ingram, These are all guys who already have NBA games.  If you pick Brown you're asking him to improve a lot more than any of those guys in order to be a good NBA pro.   

« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2016, 08:45:46 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
If Murray is taken how does that affect the lineup?   

Can't see him starting for a year or two but does this mean for sure one of young or Hunter are gone?   

What if we pick Brown?     

Less likely to resign Turner?

« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2016, 08:54:24 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
If Murray is taken how does that affect the lineup?   

Can't see him starting for a year or two but does this mean for sure one of young or Hunter are gone?   

What if we pick Brown?     

Less likely to resign Turner?
are you really concerned with what to do with Young or Hunter if we draft Murray? 

also, picking Brown wouldn't change the team's decision on whether to resign Turner.  they'll resign him if the money and number of years makes sense.

« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2016, 09:00:01 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I would take either Hield, Dunn or Brown over Murray.  Possibly even Poetlyl. 

Murray looks like E'twaun Moore 2.0 if you ask me.  Not especially high on him at all.

« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2016, 09:01:11 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I like Murray much better. He's a great scorer both on the ball and off the ball. CBS will have a field day running him off multiple screens, he can catch + shoot but then he can also make a play off the dribble or a quick pass if the shot isn't there. CBS has never had a guy who can do that - AB doesn't have the playmaking, IT doesn't have the length to get the shot off, nobody else is a good enough shooter. He just seems to be legitimately good at basketball.

Brown is far, far away from making an impact. He just doesn't know how to score efficiently right now, he is not a good shooter, he is a disappointingly average defender given his tools. I don't see how he's going to playable on a playoff team this year with his total lack of shooting, defense, BBIQ, every single thing you need from a role player. He needs to go to a rebuilding team that can play him through his growing pains.

I worry about Murray because I think if he ever became a starting caliber player, we'd need to trade either him or IT4 - or try to convince once of them to come off the bench.  There is no way we could start those two guys alongside each other, because we would have probably the worst defensive backcourt in the entire NBA. 

We need a guy who can shoot, but we also need a guy who can play at least respectable defence - which is why if we did pick a guard I would be going for either Hield or Dunn.

I know both guys are on the older side for rookies (both 22 years old), but we are a playoff team.  If we can't hit a home run with a Simmons/Ingram, then we really need to go for guys who can contribute and help us win ASAP rather than taking gambles on guys who don't really fit the team.

I think Murray is a nice guy for Philly if they get unlucky and slip to #3 because they desperately need offence and guards, and are already have a solid defensive frontcourt in Noel and Embiid. 

I look at Murray and I pretty much see Michael Carter Williams a jump shot.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 09:11:30 AM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2016, 09:19:26 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Murray for me - Murray freshman year is basically identically to curry at Davidson. Murray has one trait that should translate to the nba and that's shooting and he is only 19. Murray will have a long productive career.

« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2016, 09:30:06 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145

I worry about Murray because I think if he ever became a starting caliber player, we'd need to trade either him or IT4 - or try to convince once of them to come off the bench.  There is no way we could start those two guys alongside each other, because we would have probably the worst defensive backcourt in the entire NBA. 

We need a guy who can shoot, but we also need a guy who can play at least respectable defence - which is why if we did pick a guard I would be going for either Hield or Dunn.

I know both guys are on the older side for rookies (both 22 years old), but we are a playoff team.  If we can't hit a home run with a Simmons/Ingram, then we really need to go for guys who can contribute and help us win ASAP rather than taking gambles on guys who don't really fit the team.

I think Murray is a nice guy for Philly if they get unlucky and slip to #3 because they desperately need offence and guards, and are already have a solid defensive frontcourt in Noel and Embiid. 

I look at Murray and I pretty much see Michael Carter Williams a jump shot.

If Turner leaves, Murray can slide into that 4th guard slot playing mostly next to Smart. If he becomes too good to bring him off the bench, well, that will be a great problem to have.

« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2016, 09:38:52 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
I was a Brown fan at #3 until recently (playoffs) where I saw scoring ans shooting hurting us. Murray seems to fit that need.

Also what about Murray vs. Hield?

I think in the last month or two Hield has passed Brown on most big boards. Ya he's a four year player but he has been compared to cj mccollum (4 year guy) and even Harden. An upgrade in always every way to AB except defense.

Thanks to tankathon I ran 10 sims to get picks: 3, 3, 1, 4, 2, 2, 4, 5, 4, 5, 6. Average of 3.54. So we can easily image Murray or Hield with Brown as an option should we fall to 5-6.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2016, 09:40:31 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
I guess Murray (although I prefer Buddy) as the Celtics need someone who can shot.
they already have Crowder, a SF who plays great D but can't shot. Seems somewhat redundant.
Now if they were to trade Crowder for someone like Butler, I would want Brown.
So, I guess it pretty much depends what other moves they make.

« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2016, 09:45:01 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
With Murray he adds shooting but also adds to our collection of short/below the rim players

Murray can jump but it's not like he is flying around most of the time